PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2003 pt cruiser overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt cruiser overheating

my 2003 pt cruiser non turbo is overheating. we tried flushing radiator. finally had to pull bottom hose off to plush as nothing would come out the plug. after that still overheating. swapped high speed relay with horn relay. looked at one little fuse that is in same relay box it is a tall skinny fuse it looks ok. trying to get a low speed relay now to try. also thermostat has been replaced. it mainly overheats if ac is on and going down the road. also when i stop. makes a bubbling sound when i turn it off. in june when it was real hot i turned on my ac and heard a loud rattling sound and white smoke cam from under the car of the drivers side. really had no smell like burning wires or anything. but it also starting jumping in idle when air is on during that time. if the fan is coming on it is almost impossible to hear i do not believe it is coming on. also is there also a fuse in the inside of the car?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 01:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser overheating

lots of recent info,look in other sections on this board or do a SEARCH for overheating...

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks paul i view most of it. we got low speed relay now one fan comes on when it gets to half mark but still overheating. now i got to figure how to get that air out of line to radiator.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a bleed off valve low on the fill neck.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Aug 2009, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
There is a bleed off valve low on the fill neck.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks everyone. update on what we have done and it is still overheating. changed thermostat, changed relays and fuses, bleed the raditor bleed off on filler area, changed the etc(engine temp control) drained and cleaned radiator for the second time. now only overheats when ac is on, or when i am above 60 mph. still wondering if the white smoke and clanking I heard and seen in june may be it. not sure what freon smells like but when shop was trying to charge my ac line today it smelled the same as the june incident. found on i have a freon leak around a o ring seal
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Continous White cloud that smells like antifreeze following you around is a good sign of a head gasket problem...
I've been told that the parts house's have a test kit available that senses combustion gasses in the coolant..I havn't researched this but it may be a super good tool to use...

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the problem is only had white smoke in june. The smell from the freon today is just like what I could smell that day. it is weird how it is now only at high rate of speed or when ac is on that it will overheat.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 06:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcop811 View Post
it is weird how it is now only at high rate of speed or when ac is on that it will overheat.
So your saying you can idle with the engine running (not moving 10-15 minutes) and the car will not overheat?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Jun 2010, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cruizin sorry so long to respond. I am still having this problem. now that it is getting hot I am still have same problem. it generally never gets to the actually hot line when just idiling or driving but the minute the ac is turned on it over heats. had so many people look at it and everyone different opinion. now saying possible water pump and timing belt. others say high speed fan but it appears to come on. another done flush on radiator said fine but someone else said it appears to be radiator. I think we are going to replace belt and water pump and see. If we can figure how to do it ourself mechanics want 600-700 in jut labor to do it.