PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Latest Stg. I Upgrade Info from MOPAR employee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2003, 11:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT
Default Latest Stg. I Upgrade Info from MOPAR employee

I was asked to post this from a MOPAR employee who will be joining our site shortly and will identify himself at that time, until then:

If you have a 2003 PT Turbo (2.4L DOHC Turbo) - then yes, I didn't want to announce it on this forum and I wanted to wait to announce it at the PT forums.

This kit is ready for ordering also either at your dealer or on-line (probably tomorrow).

PT Turbo (Manual Transmission)
Part Number: P5007943
MSRP: $399.00

PT Turbo (Automatic Transmission)
Part Number: P5007944
MSRP: $429.00

All of the information I have stated for the SRT-4 Stage 1 Upgrade is basically the same for the PT except the you receive different software upgrades that include an eng cal and a trans cal. The kit also includes an Upper to Lower Intake Manifold Gasket.

Please allow up to 3 weeks for delivery (it won't take that long).

You can post this information if you want - just tell them a "little bird" told you and I will confirm your post by adding the additional information either today or tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any idea what the updrage entails ?
Old 03 Jun 2003, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Larger fuel injectors and computer program upgrade.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 12:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Anyone have information or any thoughts on how the the upgrade will effect performane (How much increased horsepower?) and gas mileage (Will it remain at 21mpg/city and 27mg/highway for the 5-speed?...Just curious...[:I]...Thanks.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 01:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here are the details of the Mopar Performance Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade.

Mopar will start taking orders this week. They should be ready to ship no later than June 15 (if not earlier).

You will need to provide your VIN # and ODO reading to get the order through the system (ordering from a dealer or on-line).

Components:
┬*(4) Fuel Injectors -- 527cc/min* (Static fuel flow rated at 58 PSI)
┬*(1) MOPAR Performance Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - calibrated by the guys that the know the vehicle the BEST (PVO engineers)

Performance Ratings:
┬* 240 hp @ 5200 rpm
┬* 260 ft-lbs @ 2400-4400 rpm

Calibration Features:
Increased WOT and part throttle boost
More aggressive exhaust note during deceleration
Enhanced 1st gear boost schedule for a higher performance launch
Improved Turbo Response
┬*Optimized calibration for the MOPAR Performance Blow Off Valve conversion kit (sold separately - available in July 2003)
[}]

Greddy Turbo Timer
AGP factory surge valve blockoff plate
AGP/TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
160 degree thermostat
Magnacore plug wires
Champion RE14PLP5 Double Platinum plugs gapped .050\"
Screamin Demon coil
Momo shift knob
3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer Lunar boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges
Stewart Warner Shift Light
Streamline Designs third brake light overlay \"Turbo Cruzer\"
Rear splash guards
Rear spoiler
Hidden Hitch
Ichiban pedals
Streetglow Xenon headlight and foglight bulbs
PCV line oil seperator
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 215/50R17 tires
PT Tuning axle back exhaust and muffler
Mr. Dyno vehicle performance computer
Pioneer DEH-P77DH AM/FM/CD
Kenwood KSC-WA62RC ┬Ś The WooX 30w x 2 powered subwoofer
Old 03 Jun 2003, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

According to information posted on the SRT forums, we should get a 25 HP increase. Mileage loss is not reported, but I would guess that with larger injectors we would lose some MPG, at least with my heavy foot![8D][?]

Stage I, custom 3\" exhaust & Cowl Intake, Mopar BOV, Dual gauge pod w/vac-boost & A/F meters, Hood Struts, Yokohama ES-100\'s
Best 1/4 so far: 14.489 @ 93.65, best 1/8: 9.222 @ 74.261
Old 03 Jun 2003, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

guess I better start saving my pennies...

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...
Old 03 Jun 2003, 03:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for the info. This may be the way to go...
Old 03 Jun 2003, 04:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ordered mine at lunch today.

Already on "National Backorder" !

No ETA available !

[:I]
Greddy Turbo Timer
AGP factory surge valve blockoff plate
AGP/TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
160 degree thermostat
Magnacore plug wires
Champion RE14PLP5 Double Platinum plugs gapped .050\"
Screamin Demon coil
Momo shift knob
3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer Lunar boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges
Stewart Warner Shift Light
Streamline Designs third brake light overlay \"Turbo Cruzer\"
Rear splash guards
Rear spoiler
Hidden Hitch
Ichiban pedals
Streetglow Xenon headlight and foglight bulbs
PCV line oil seperator
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 215/50R17 tires
PT Tuning axle back exhaust and muffler
Mr. Dyno vehicle performance computer
Pioneer DEH-P77DH AM/FM/CD
Kenwood KSC-WA62RC ┬Ś The WooX 30w x 2 powered subwoofer
Old 03 Jun 2003, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lord Vadr

Any idea what the updrage entails ?
The new Intake Manifold Gasket is a good hint that the performance will be increased past what can be expected at near stock boost levels.

If it is the same base kit as the SRT-4, it will come with the PCM, 4 new injectors and the addition of the new intake gasket (Upper to Lower Intake Manifold Gasket). The software upgrades for engine and transmission calibration suggest that the 2 may be prepared via flash upgrades to be ready to accept a new way of doing things. My guess is that the 5 speed (manual) will only get the engine calibration routine, do to the lack of the TCM (Transmission Control Module that is only present on the Auto transmission).

The 58 PSI benchmark for fuel pressure was mentioned on the SRT-4 forum, thus verifying that the fuel rail has been deemed sufficient to support the increased performance potential.

If the Intake Manifold gasket is thinner than the stock one, then the compression may be raised; making up some potential HP at the same RPM and boost. If it is thicker, than the compression may be dropped further to allow higher boost levels to be obtained (for some reason, yet to be explained).

There seems to be a pattern of keeping the compression level low to keep the boost near max levels to obtain the same HP that would be available at lower boost and higher compression ratio.

This is probably a DC decision, made (or taken) to lessen the chance of customer increasing boost to gain performance. Remember the old Cigarette commercials from the early to mid 60s; "It's not how long you make it; it's how you make it long". This referred to the transition from regular to King size smokes, long before the 100mm craze.

I am waiting for UniqTwin to come into the forum and make it official.

From the SRT thread, you will need the VIN# (So the SKIM - Sentry Key Immobilizer) will allow the car to be started after the PCM change, and an odometer reading. The odometer reading requirement will probably need more explanation. Apparently the mileage is recorded in both the Cluster and PCM.

The Warranty issue will be between you and your dealer. Like any other aftermarket addiiton, the Mopar Performance parts deviate from standard production. If your dealer is one that is likely to blame custom valve cover caps for fouled spark plugs, then your dealer will probably blame the Stage I upgrade for everything from AIDS to poor gas mileage.

However, if your dealer treats aftermarket items coherently and honestly, the Stage I upgrade will only be blamed if a failure that is covered by warranty can be directly attributed to the addition of the Stage I upgrade. Your Mileage May Vary...

This issue would be more credible if explained by Mopar Performance, rather than me. Mopar Performance has their warranty statement available on their website. We will be most likely pointed to that location to read and decide for ourselves.

It would be best to take the presence of a representative from Mopar Performance here on the forum as a Godsend, rather then grilling them on issues that would tend to make them less likely to provide information for concerns of liability, warranty misinterpretation that is out of their hands and being pressed for decisions on issues that they have no control over.

I have been more critical than most about the firmware problems that the stock PCM has exhibited, and I will temper my remarks to separate the stock PCM from the Stage I PCM.

My major concerns will be to try to see if the problems have been corrected in the new PCM, addressed by Flash upgrade, made worse by increasing the performance and not addressing existing firmware problems or if the problems only exist in my head from limited understanding of how things really work. My Mileage