PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ultimate upgrade: Mopar Stage1 + boost controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2003, 12:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Ultimate upgrade: Mopar Stage1 + boost controller?

Here's an idea.......ad the Stage 1 $399 kit PLUS a boost controller. Make sense? Additional fuel, computer mods, PLUS additional boost! What do you all think?

Craig
'03 Dream Autostick ......many mods coming!
Old 05 Jun 2003, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

I think you are catching on.
Old 05 Jun 2003, 04:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

for that kind of thing to be fully effective you first need a big free-flow exhaust AND a good intake system...then you'll be hitting 13's easy
Old 05 Jun 2003, 05:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dammit!!![xx(]

My Idea has been cracked[}]

I guess I will spill it out[:I]

The Idea is: Install The mopar kit, set it up analize the Boost changes and then, Start the boost adjustments with the electronic boost controller. Now that you get increased fuel flow, you can increase boost slightly if it is bellow the 16 PSI mark.

In my controller I can work with "dutty cycles" at each RPM.

What scares me is if you take it to the dealer, can they flash over the programing and load the factory setting...

Ian
Old 05 Jun 2003, 09:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ian,
I hope someone who has had a Mopar Performance PCM in the past can answer that question.

It looks like any Flash Upgrade would have to be distributed through Mopar to the dealer, or the dealer would have to have a flash upgrade specific to the Mopar PCM.
Old 06 Jun 2003, 11:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Regarding the dealer being able to flash over the new PCM settings:

From what I read in the SRT-4 forums, that will not be possible for a while, at least. The configuration is different than what they have now. That's why we have to supply them with the VIN and ODO numbers, so that their ONE supplier can properly setup the new PCM to work with each individual's car.

I agree, that at some point, most, if not all dealers will eventually have an upgraded/new ability to reflash the new PCMs so we will have to be wary of that in the future.

Stage I, custom 3\" exhaust & Cowl Intake, Mopar BOV, Dual gauge pod w/vac-boost & A/F meters, Hood Struts, Yokohama ES-100\'s
Best 1/4 so far: 14.489 @ 93.65, best 1/8: 9.222 @ 74.261
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not to worry the next generation controller that comes in the stage one cannot be flashed by your local dealer YET we just don't have the scanntool to connect to the new software all new models made as a 2004 model will have the n.g.c. controller
Old 26 Jul 2003, 01:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You might want to talk with some of the SRT-4 folks, aparently the new PCM is a little less flexible on parameters like boost. I have read that some even got less performance with the S1 because of the interaction of boost control and new PCM.
I don't know the specifics, but check out the SRT4um for their experience.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 08:18 am
Senior Cruiser

As of YET, the dealer doean's have the equipment to flash-upgrade the computer, but when they eventaully do, some places make it a habit to flash a computer any time the vehicle is in, even for an oil change.They consider it preventative maintenance to upload the latest version of the software on the vehicle.The thing to do is to make sure that the service writer puts on the work order that the computer is not to be flashed under any circumstances.This way, if they do it anyway, you have a record that they knew they weren't supposed to, and can have them pay to replace anything, like a new S1 computer.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 27 Jul 2003, 04:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wildman

Not to worry the next generation controller that comes in the stage one cannot be flashed by your local dealer YET we just don't have the scanntool to connect to the new software all new models made as a 2004 model will have the n.g.c. controller
The 2003 PCM is a NGC3 Controller. The TCM is now internal; no longer an external controller. I believe it was introduced in mid 2002, and had a change in the pinouts for the PCI Bus and J1850 Communications wires. At least this is what I am hearing from the aftermarket vendors that supply data-logger gear/software.

As it stands (based on the service depts I have talked with), the dealers will probably get the gear needed to service the 2004 model PCM in December; almost 6 months after the 2004 model cars using it have been available for sale. Lets hope they are REAL dependable, or DCX will have a hell of a Buy-Back program/problem.

The cloud of mystery over the PCM's Data connector pinouts, communications protocol and with the inclusion of Euro Stage III emission control specs has left the owners and aftermarket suppliers in the dark as far as being able to develop or use data-logging or full featured code tools. With the Change in the 2004 model PCM structure, it looks like 3 different "standards" have been introduced in as many years.

I wonder how the Service Departments can survive; having to retool their diagnostic gear inventory every year; sometimes as often as every 6 months (provided that DCX has vendors on tap that have even developed diag gear) for their new secret weapon; the PCM that won't talk to previous diagnostic gear...

This is a Mell of a Hess...