Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1: Cost from Chrysler Parts & Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Stage 1: Cost from Chrysler Parts & Install

Went to the Chysler Dearship today to get my UConnect fixed. While I was there waiting, they got me a price for the Stage 1 parts and install. $995. complete out the door.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Stage 1: Cost from Chrysler Parts & Install

I was also told that the horsepower increase was 10 to 15.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bados View Post
Went to the Chysler Dearship today to get my UConnect fixed. While I was there waiting, they got me a price for the Stage 1 parts and install. $995. complete out the door.
You are being totally ripped off. Stage 1 is only $440 at Haynes Speed Shop.

HaynesSpeed Shop :: Chrysler PT Cruiser :: Turbo Upgrades :: PT Cruiser Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kit

It will take all of 15-20 minutes to install the new pcm and if you have an auto tranny the tranny learn will take you maybe thirty minutes. Even if you are incapable of turning a wrench then buy the S1 at Haynes and have a buddy install it. Then do the piece of cake tranny learn if you have an auto. 5 speeds don't have a tranny learn. You do realize the dealer is charging you over $500 an hour labor?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Jun 2007, 10:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Ask them how much it would cost you to have them install it if you bought it yourself. Also make sure to specify it's JUST the PCM (assuming you're talking about your 05 on you sign) some of chysler's fine techs aren't always that attentive. when i asked they were going to charge for injectors also. It's really not a hard install mopar provides very good instructions. However I understand if you don't wanna take the risk if you're not that familiar with engine electronics. But ask how much just the install is. I ordered my S1 from my local dealer and paid about 500 before I saw haynes had them for less. This is a worth while upgrade you'll notice the increase in power when you floor it.
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 10:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Also mopar recommends upgrading your plugs and wires a friend and I did this plus the S1 install in about an hour including time for a few
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've got an 06 Turbo lite with 3K miles on it. The stock PCM removal and S1 PCM install is fairly straight forward. 4 bolts and four connector's (automatic)No big deal there. My question is about programing the SILK code . IF I order an SI PCM from Haynes and give them my VIN will the new PCM have the correct SILK codes preprogramed into the new unit or will I have to program the new unit with new codes to match my vehicle. Will updated SILK Pin numbers be included with the new PCM?
Old 11 Jul 2007, 02:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

The stage 1 is plug and play as long as your VIN is flashed. After S1 pcm install do the tranny learn and your set to go.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 Aug 2007, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have an 05 Limited Edition Turbo 180hp. I want to do a stage one upgrade, but am a little scared. I have a 4 spd auto trans and want to know if it would handle the hp increase. Can someone please HELP me? Give me some contacts or something to find out.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 05:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

the first 3 gears can, overdrive gear however cannot handle anything more than 5lbs of boost.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05turbo View Post
I have an 05 Limited Edition Turbo 180hp. I want to do a stage one upgrade, but am a little scared. I have a 4 spd auto trans and want to know if it would handle the hp increase. Can someone please HELP me? Give me some contacts or something to find out.
I have an '04 Limited Platinum Series and I added Stage 1 when the car had 2000 miles on it. It now has 28,000 and has made countless trips down the dragstrip (best time of 14.4 @ 95mph) and it's driven fairly hard on the street too. Not a hint of trouble out of the tranny, although I did my dealer do a full flush and filter change at 24,000 miles, which is earlier than recommended. When I'm driving in town and know my speed won't be exceeding 55mph I keep the gear selector down in 3, not D. I don't kick it into D until I'm on the freeway.

There is a lot of discussion on various PT forums about how the auto tranny WILL fail in these cars, and it simply is not true - they don't ALL fail. Yes, the failure rate is higher than average, but as a percentage of total auto PTs on the road the number is low. Without a doubt though, it's the overdrive that gets eaten by too much boost, so things like boost controllers are probably not a good idea as they are prone to part throttle overboost, and that is not good for the tranny. And in case you aren't aware, there is only one autotranny across the entire PT range, from Base to GT. The only difference is the Autostick programming used only in the GT. The tranny internals are the same.

I think that adding Stage 1 was the best thing I've done to my car and could never go back to factory stock Turbo Lite status.