Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage I pcm question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2003, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stage I pcm question

My PT has 915 miles and the service department has ordered a new pcm because the original is bad. This is covered under warranty so no problem except that they are on backorder. The stage I upgrade has no warranty so if the pcm on it goes bad chrysler implies the buyer must bear the costs to repair it.
Am I misreading this or are we out of luck and must bear the burden of defective parts out of the box?[:I]
Old 28 Jun 2003, 11:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just FYI:

From the Mopar Performance Warranty Site:

Mopar Performance Parts Warranty

Mopar Performance Parts are sold "as is," without any warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair.

Chrysler, Dodge, and JeepĀ® vehicle and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition or if they fail as a result of modification.

Notice

Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part or element of design affecting emissions of safety on motor vehicles used for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. Violation may result in a fine of up to $27,500 per vehicle. Mechanical and/or electronic performance parts cannot be use used on vehicles used on the streets or highways. These parts may be used only on vehicles used solely in sanctioned off-highway events. No other applications are intended or implied.

Note - California Only

The emission laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles. Consequently, when indicated and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle which will never be operated on public roads.

Prices

Retail prices are set by the individual selling dealer or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Parts line of products. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Parts Ordering and Inquiries

The parts published on this website may be ordered from authorized Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealerships or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Pares line of products. When a part ordered has been superseded, the replacing part will be shipped automatically. The price of the replacing part may differ from the ordered part.

All product illustrations are based on authorized information. Although all descriptions are believed correct at time of publication approval, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Mopar Performance Parts reserves the right to make changes from time to time without notice or obligation in prices specification, materials and to change or discontinue models.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 09:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

it's up to the dealership to prove that it was solely the modification that caused the problem and that it could have been nothing else. To be honest, i don't think many places would even be able to tell the difference between the two computers....
Old 29 Jun 2003, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't quite pose my question correctly so here is another attempt.
My stock pcm has failed after 915 miles and will be replaced by chrysler.
If a I purchase stage I and the new pcm fails in a similar time frame will it be replaced by chrysler. The warranty statement says " as is, without any warranty whatsoever". My take is that they will not replace the pcm. What do the rest of you think?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 10:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you purchase a "Stage 1" PCM and it fails, I guess you will have two options, Send it to be repaired to MOPAR at your cost, or have an electronic Paperweight.....

It is the price we pay when we want to be on the "street Scene".

But still I am waiting for the kit to arrive and hope for the best.

Ian
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gooberff

I didn't quite pose my question correctly so here is another attempt.
My stock pcm has failed after 915 miles and will be replaced by chrysler.
If a I purchase stage I and the new pcm fails in a similar time frame will it be replaced by chrysler. The warranty statement says " as is, without any warranty whatsoever". My take is that they will not replace the pcm. What do the rest of you think?
The warranty issue; especially in your case, is the million dollar question.

Your situation, and the timing of the release of the stage I upgrade would give you the possibility of buying a stock PCM from someone making the upgrade. Waiting on the unit from Chrysler may take some time. At this point, they are into production of the 2004 model, which will have a redesigned PCM; mich like the type used in the upgrade. You may want to request your dealer to check with other dealers to try to find a stock 2003 PCM. Chances are that the production of replacement PCMs in the stock 2003 configuration may be put off as long as possible, due to the new OBDIII standard coming out in the 2004 models.

If you were able to get a stock PCM from someone doing the upgrade, I would think the dealer could flash your VIN to it and use it without problems in your car. May be worth asking the dealer about this.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It sounds like you are an intelegent cautious person (asking questions first). I, like you would like to get the extra ponies and would love some of the other extras in the programming, but Mopar is serious when they say NO Warranty (for now).
Get your STOCK ECM unit under warranty and order the Stage I separate if you want it, so you will have a fail safe if Stage I doesn't work out.
I think the question of trying to get a Stage I ECM as a warranty replacement part has been asked and answered - NO DEAL!