Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage I Limitations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2003, 06:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Stage I Limitations

A rather interesting thread on the SRT forum concerning boost controls and the new Stage I kit. Aparently the new ECM has stricter limits on boost and may limit effective horsepower gains from jacking the boost over 16psi. The rodders and booster heads on the SRT forum present this topic much more eloquently than I ever could.

I would be interested to hear from Stage I owners: there was talk of jerky pull at higher rpms when boost is over 16psi, aparently the new ECU protects the engine from overboost this way.

Some felt that the old ECU allowed more boost pressure and probably more overall horsepower, (but was considerably harder on the engine).

I would be interested to hear from the Stage I and BC folks to find their experience!!!
Old 02 Jul 2003, 08:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If this thread is true; that Stage I would actually limit the Horsepower mongers, then Stage I must be built for the regular Joes that would be satisfied with stopping with another 20 HP. The quandry there is: we seem to have those boring and unreal expectations of warranted and legal use.
Ahhhh The quandries of life never end!!!
Old 02 Jul 2003, 08:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't think I want to boost over 16#'s. I think I remember reading that the head gasket is good up to 16#'s. If we get to StageII, the larger turbo moves more volume but from what I can understand this is different from more boost. I am not initmate with the details on this however.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Jul 2003, 01:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

i find that pretty weird. Considering the kit comes with new high flow injectors, and the ECU shoulc adjuct the fuel mapping for increased boost levels without running lean. I don't think the ECU could limit the effectiveness of a manual b/c
Old 03 Jul 2003, 02:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The SRT Boostheads have had the Stage I kit for a while now , and this is just some of their early findings. My take home from all their posts was that to reach for the magic 300 Stage I boosted won't do it (It is as posted ... a 25 hp increase for the SRT-4).
The REAL horsepower needs:
A) A larger Turbo
B) Even larger injectors
C) Hi pressure sensors
D) Boosted fuel delivery

(Sounds like Stage II to me)

Product Placement?

Stage I - Owners that love the power in smaller doses and want to drive 150,000 miles on the same engine!

Stage II - Owners who will not be satisfied until they have wrung every pony out of the 2.4 DOHC possible!
Old 03 Jul 2003, 10:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Well this shoud be relatively easy for Mopar.......I mean they've had the Super 60 kit for the 2.2/2.5 for many many years, which is a combination designed for 300HP+.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 03 Jul 2003, 02:18 pm
Young Cruiser

The Super 60 included a new turbo, +40% injectors, 3 Bar MAP sensor, ECM and cam. Other than the cam the 2.4 Stage II sounds about the same.

The realy fast 2.2/2.5 cars (10 sec 1/4's) typically run a stock ECM. The Stage 1 or super 60 add in too much timing for cars running 20+ psi of boost.
Old 03 Jul 2003, 02:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I love those guys. They have no problem cranking that Grainger valve up to about 25PSI and making one pass and bending a rod in the process. I've seen a couple of 2.5 Turbo Caravans at the track before racing.You talk about a sleeper........

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack