PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
STAGE 1 - DEALER VIEW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2003, 07:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZCruzr
Default STAGE 1 - DEALER VIEW

A week ago I took ZZ in for her 2700 mile switch over to Mobile 1. I wanted to see the dealer's reaction to Jim's cold air intake and to the BTG duals. It was a non-event. While I was there I asked the Assistant Manager about Stage 1 and the warranty. His reaction was that if they put it in, it would have no effect on the warrany, but his head mechanic said it would void it. (As many of the posts elsewhere have said). He promised to talk to the DM and call. Today he called and said the only warranty that would be voided is parts that could be directly connected to the upgrade. I asked "like what"?
He said if I burned a piston, it wouldn't be covered. I asked what about the turbo or the tranny? He said NO, they'd be covered. He also said that the parts for the upgrade aren't warrantied. (We already knew that). I asked how many times have you had an injector fail? He said the last failed injector they replaced was on an old Jeep. Now the payoff....I asked if he'd put the warranty interpretation in writing, and he said he would! I told him once I received it, I would order the upgrade. I asked how much would it be to install and he said about $260! (When I said "ow-w-w-w", he said the install would take three hours!) STAY TUNED! ! ! ! ! ! [8)]
Old 14 Jul 2003, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

As with any product, get it in writing and put it away in a safe place.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

As with any warranty document service technicians,service managers, or area managers can be overridden. Get the dealership owner or the regional DC service rep to sign, then you will have a valid document.

I know that this is old, but UniqTwin has been promising a change in the written document to warrant items purchased AND to maintain the vehicle warranty. As with your above promise, it's all just blue air until it is in writing and ok'd by someone that cant be stepped over easily.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 07:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZCruzr

Kirby - your point is well taken. I guess there has to be a point of faith somewhere. Maybe I'm naive, but I think sometimes we have to act on trust and gut feelings. Hell in this age of wall to wall lawyers, not much written down is cast in concrete if you got the money to appeal. You got me wonderin' though...I'll wait for the "writing" and post what I receive. I HATE BEING PARANOID! ! !
Black Clearcoat 2003 Turbo GT w/gray leather interior...rear splash guards, stainless door sills, air bag decals, red painted brake calipers, BTG duals, AMX cold air intake, Blaine hood struts, ZZcruZr third brake light diffuser, AutoVation pedals, MoMo F16 Evo red gearshift.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Guys,

I talked to my service manager concerning the intallation cost for the Stage 1 kit. He quoted me $100! Here's the breakdown: According to the hourly shop manual, changing fuel injectors (one or all) for 2001-2003 PT Cruisers [all models] is 1.0 shop hour. The PCM swap-out is listed as 0.4 shop hour. Now, since these are the items that are being changed, wouldn't this be a reasonable install fee? I think so

Scott
Old 29 Jul 2003, 07:58 pm
Young Cruiser

On the subject of warranty, regardless of where the parts come from, no vehicle is warranted against "abuse".

So, what is abuse?
It's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 10:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

Guys,

I talked to my service manager concerning the intallation cost for the Stage 1 kit. He quoted me $100! Here's the breakdown: According to the hourly shop manual, changing fuel injectors (one or all) for 2001-2003 PT Cruisers [all models] is 1.0 shop hour. The PCM swap-out is listed as 0.4 shop hour. Now, since these are the items that are being changed, wouldn't this be a reasonable install fee? I think so

Scott
I had a similar quote (1.4 hrs @ $75.00 each) from one dealer, who looked in the flat rate manual for the times. (have to drive 50 miles and leave it with them overnight). Rental car or motel room cost not factored into above figures.

My local dealer quotes 3 1/2 hours, and only bills in hour increments; 4 hour labor tab (4 hours @ $64.10 each). Can drop it off for the day and get easily get a ride.

It should be a relaxed 2 hour job that could be done by anyone who can change their own oil and has tools, something to catch and recover the coolant, rags to catch fuel when pressure is released and to prevent the injector openings and intake openings from catching debris while exposed.

In other words, a little prep before the job should make for smooth sailing. Having the engine already cool before attempting the installation is a big plus also.

The 4 to 8 hour install times that some dealers have quoted give an indication of one (or more) of the following:

1. They think you are uninformed of the procedure
2. They are uninformed of the procedure.
3. They think you have too much disposable income and seek to rectify the situation.
4. They have too few paying jobs (possibly due to earlier incidences of 1,2 and/or 3 above) and want to make their week on one job.
5. They haven't been on the planet very long, and are still adjusting to the local customs.
Old 06 Aug 2003, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm a bit confused about this upgrade. I was in my local Chrysler dealer today and asked about this modification. They quoted me $600 for the kit and the install. However, they said they would have to have the car for a week to 10 days. Their explanation was the present Powertrain Control Module needed to be removed from my car and sent to Chrysler so the new Module could be reprogramed with my VIN, and mileage. Then the new Powertrain Control Module would have to be sent back and installed with the rest of the kit. My car would be "down" during the process.

Based on what I am reading here, that sounds a bit far fetched. Is there something I should be telling my dealer?
Old 06 Aug 2003, 11:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Larry,

A new PCM (engine computer), 4 new fuel injectors, and a new upper-to-lower intake manifold gasket are the components of the Stage 1 upgrade. Your dealer's service department needs to familiarize themselves with these parts and the installation procedure. Read the thread that contains a scanned version of the upgrade procedure. According to the shop manual, it shouldn't take more than 1 hr to swap out the fuel injectors and no more than 0.4 hrs for the PCM swap.

Hope this helps!

Scott
Old 06 Aug 2003, 11:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

I'm a bit confused about this upgrade. I was in my local Chrysler dealer today and asked about this modification. They quoted me $600 for the kit and the install. However, they said they would have to have the car for a week to 10 days. Their explanation was the present Powertrain Control Module needed to be removed from my car and sent to Chrysler so the new Module could be reprogramed with my VIN, and mileage. Then the new Powertrain Control Module would have to be sent back and installed with the rest of the kit. My car would be "down" during the process.

Based on what I am reading here, that sounds a bit far fetched. Is there something I should be telling my dealer?
Yes, tell your dealer that he and his staff are stupid! If they are not stupid, then they are hoping that you are. Obviously you are not stupid, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about it here. So here's the story. You can order the kit from a number of places. Check with tthrift, a poster on these forums, and he can get you going. You can also check out the topic: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=2405 to get all the part numbers to give your local dealer, assuming you trust them to get the kit for you. You should be able to get it for way under list, at least 10% or more.

Stage I, custom 3\" exhaust & Cowl Intake, Mopar BOV, Dual gauge pod w/vac-boost & A/F meters, Hood Struts, Yokohama ES-100\'s
Best 1/4 so far: 14.489 @ 93.65, best 1/8: 9.222 @ 74.261