Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage one or not to Stage one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2003, 09:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Do we know the Stage 1 equipped GT is not compliant? Is it a question of emmisions or modifications?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 11:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From what we have seen, it is not CARB approved, illegal for sale in California, not for Street Use, subject to $27,500 fine if caught using on for street use, designed for competition only, but voids warranty if used for competition, etc. If there is a single example of paradox that is not included in the Mopar warranty, let me know....

Don't take my word for this; read for yourself:

Mopar Performance Parts Warranty

Mopar Performance Parts are sold "as is," without any warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair.

Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep® vehicle and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition or if they fail as a result of modification.

Notice

Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part or element of design affecting emissions of safety on motor vehicles used for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. Violation may result in a fine of up to $27,500 per vehicle. Mechanical and/or electronic performance parts cannot be use used on vehicles used on the streets or highways. These parts may be used only on vehicles used solely in sanctioned off-highway events. No other applications are intended or implied.

Note - California Only

The emission laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles. Consequently, when indicated and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle which will never be operated on public roads.

Prices

Retail prices are set by the individual selling dealer or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Parts line of products. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Parts Ordering and Inquiries

The parts published on this website may be ordered from authorized Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealerships or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Pares line of products. When a part ordered has been superseded, the replacing part will be shipped automatically. The price of the replacing part may differ from the ordered part.

All product illustrations are based on authorized information. Although all descriptions are believed correct at time of publication approval, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Mopar Performance Parts reserves the right to make changes from time to tie without notice or obligation in prices specification, materials and to change or discontinue models.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 11:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZCruzr

Kirby...if we had local dragstrip dealerships here in North Carolina - I'd be a customer! Seriously, I know California has stringent laws on emissions. I still can't believe the enforcement part though...look at the stuff that is on four wheels in California! Somehow I can't believe all those "street rods", Italian sports cars and bad *ss custom machines are anything like "street legal"! What - you all tear em down and make them Sunday go to meetin' vehicles before they are sold!?! Must be a hell of a lot of cheap high performance used parts for sale!
As to the Stage 1...Mopar clearly states "for off road use..." and all the other legalese to tell you that they're not responsible for nothin'. When and if my dealership's DM puts the warranty thing in writing, like he promises me, I'll find out if they are going to pass me for emissions test with it on. (See Kirby, North Carolina DOES have some rules!) It would be a bear if I get the warranty thing satisified in my head, only to fail the stupid emmisions test!
Black Clearcoat 2003 Turbo GT w/gray leather interior...rear splash guards, stainless door sills, air bag decals, red painted brake calipers, BTG duals, AMX cold air intake, Blaine hood struts, ZZcruZr third brake light diffuser, AutoVation pedals, MoMo F16 Evo red gearshift.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The laws and rules of this great nation could not be more jumbled than here in California. Those fines and warnings are real! If a smog tester is caught not turning you in, they themselves are in violation that could be jail time and huge fines(it is essentially fraud against the state, since they are registered state entities). The state of California takes it's smog laws very seriously!

Kit cars custom cars, and cars built after 1974 (30 years old) do not have to have smog gear and are subject to some rediculously flexible rules.

I hope that we are able to have our Stage 1 get togeather soon, we can, at that time get an off line / non registered test (billed as a re-test internally), to see how things go with the nations most sensitive sniffers. I don't think you have to pass ANY test on nitrogen oxide in North Carolina(a killer for high compression and high combustion temp cars).
Old 21 Jul 2003, 06:42 am
Young Cruiser

We have emissioms testing here also, your car is subject to inspection. I failed for a loose vacuum hose once.

However, eventually it comes down to the numbers, which shouldn't be a problem, they don't do NOX and it's done at 30 MPH.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

The laws and rules of this great nation could not be more jumbled than here in California. Those fines and warnings are real! If a smog tester is caught not turning you in, they themselves are in violation that could be jail time and huge fines(it is essentially fraud against the state, since they are registered state entities). The state of California takes it's smog laws very seriously!

Kit cars custom cars, and cars built after 1974 (30 years old) do not have to have smog gear and are subject to some rediculously flexible rules.

I hope that we are able to have our Stage 1 get togeather soon, we can, at that time get an off line / non registered test (billed as a re-test internally), to see how things go with the nations most sensitive sniffers. I don't think you have to pass ANY test on nitrogen oxide in North Carolina(a killer for high compression and high combustion temp cars).

My approach will be as follows:
I am going to have it installed for me and then it will be smog checked (off-line of course) to see what and if there are any problems. The next step will be dependent on what problems arise and if they can be rectified in a cost effective manner. If I can't make it meet the smog requirements then it will be put back in the stock configuration.
[8D]

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You are right, I am somewhat aprehensive about the install at the speed shop.

What if:

a)The new PCM does what the first SRT-4 PCMs did? (SHUT THE CAR DOWN)

b)The old PCM then fails to re-ignite the car? (TOWING FOR HOW MANY MILES?)

c)Worse, we install, the car runs for the test, and dies ON THE FREEWAY HOME!!!!

CATCH IT AND KEEP IT (on your own)CAN BE DANGEROUS!!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

You are right, I am somewhat aprehensive about the install at the speed shop.

What if:

a)The new PCM does what the first SRT-4 PCMs did? (SHUT THE CAR DOWN)

Put the old back one in.

b)The old PCM then fails to re-ignite the car? (TOWING FOR HOW MANY MILES?)

It will be an awww &%^&, but AAA towing is good for the first 50 miles, and the dealer is only 10 miles away. Plus the speed shop ower has a 700 hp 6 speed BMW. My point? He is a damn good mechanic. If he can't fix it then it is %^&*. Additionally, the PT is my weekend only car. So I won't get all in a pinch. Plus, you gotta do what you gotta do. Re:"re-ignite" it better not! It should help to start my engine, but not "re-ignite" it. Its not a jet. :-)

c)Worse, we install, the car runs for the test, and dies ON THE FREEWAY HOME!!!!

I'll just deal with it, but my speed shop dealer will be driving to the smog test and then back to the shop. He has a lot riding on this as it will good publicity (sp) for him.

CATCH IT AND KEEP IT (on your own)CAN BE DANGEROUS!!

Hell driving on these Calif freeways "IS" dangerous. But I'll do the best that I can. I will probably wait to see how the installs are going before "I" do this.

Cheers

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sound like you've got it going!! I just didn't want our fun to be your misery!!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 02:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

Sound like you've got it going!! I just didn't want our fun to be your misery!!

I think we are talking about two different things. I want to help with Rice killing's install. But I am going to do mine a different way and the reason for that is that I can coordinate things to happen to happen sequenially and get everything done in about a day. So thats why I came up with this idea. I just want to get every thing done at as soon as possible and my friend can make it happen. I'm looking on it as a learning experience plus it will be fun, he lowered my car, installed the springs, eagle 192 rims, tires, stereo, stealth sub, six speakers, burglar alarm, and shocks. He wants to do change my exhaust system which ain't gonna happen, I knew that the whole idea behind stage one et al was that those parts are expected to be installed on a stock vehicle. So I'll let him do the stage one and work his magic there.

macster