PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why do i need a new BOV. if i have a stage 1 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2003, 06:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Why do i need a new BOV. if i have a stage 1 ?

What will the new DC. BOV do for me,(i don't like noize) What does DC. charge for it ?
Old 02 Aug 2003, 04:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old head from phila.

What will the new DC. BOV do for me,(i don't like noize) What does DC. charge for it ?
The stock BOV is a recirculating one. It vents back into the turbo and slows it down. This is not good for the turbo and causes turbo lag. The Mopar BOV vents into the atmosphere, better for the turbo and you don't have turbo lag. They are around $58. I hear, because of the angle of the bolts, they are a pain to install. I have an HKS BOV which vents into the atmosphere and the lack of turbo lag puts a smile on my face [8)]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Aug 2003, 10:23 am
Young Cruiser

Meangreen;I thank you for your answer,You said "not good for the turbo" you mean we could hurt something ?,Is the cheap DC. bov. as good as the big bucks ones ?,OLDHEAD
Old 04 Aug 2003, 11:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

When the turbo is creating boost and the intake butterfly closes when you let go of the accelerator, it creates a wall at the throtle body where all this air is crashing against, this creates a domino effect that goes all the way to the turbo compressor impellers. it becomes an air brake stoping the impeller from over 50,000 RPMS and even reversing them making a huge stress on the impeller and the main shaft and in the long term, catastrofic results.

[IMG] http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03...broken01_z.jpg [/IMG]

BOVs make an exit way for the excess air to escape and in turn, it lets the impeller spin freely. The factory one is crapy! If you increase the boost, the factory one opens up and starts to leak. The MOPAR kit bypases the recirculating one making it inop. and it vents to the atmosphere. With stage 1 installed you can hear that a lot of air is release with the MOPAR BOV. IMHO, it lets much more air out than the factory recirculating one. The only drawback is that it is LOUD! but then again, all of the aftermarkets are also. and it is fun to accelerate and let go of the pedal in front of other people and see their reactions... Now I feel like a kid...

You don't have to use the MOPAR BOV, any will do. I got mine from Tommy Thrift. It was 57.00 plus shipping. This a better number than the aftermarkets, 200.00 for a good one.

Old 04 Aug 2003, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ian-PT-GT
I got mine from Tommy Thrift. It was 57.00 plus shipping. This a better number than the aftermarkets, 200.00 for a good one.
WERD[?]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer