PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar BOV Instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2003, 11:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Mopar BOV Instructions

Scans of the instructions are here.

I installed the BOV earlier this evening, with some help from Mrs. DT.

A few things I found during the install.

Step 3: You will need to move the fusebox. Tthe instructions only say to move the top. You need to remove one screw from the passenger rear side of the box (not noted in the instructions) and unclip the two front clips. Move it into the spot the airbox normally sits (removed in step 1).

Step 5: The PITA bolt on the passenger side of the surge valve is best reached from the back. Do this by squeezing a hand through the area just below and to the driver's side of the surge valve. You will need to use some kind of leverage to move the oil line to get a wrench on the bolt. The Mrs. used the following wrench:

Step 8: You will again need to move the oil line to get the new even more of a PITA bolt in on the passenger side. This bolt is where you will spend 90% of your time during the install. [xx(]

Steps 10 & 11 are in the wrong order. Step 11 needs to be done before step 10.

Step 12: Go for a [8)] and enjoy the pssssshhhhh! [8D]
Old 06 Aug 2003, 11:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I accesed the pasenger side screw from the bottom.
It is a clear access to the screw and a clear vew also.

That stupid line right next to the Tubo makes starting the install with the pasenger side screw almost impossible!!!

on the good side, you will not hear the strange noises that the factory BOV had. It lets more air escape when you let go of the throttle. It has four 1/4" holes for exit VS one 3/8" factory tube conected to the turbo up tube..

Ian
Old 07 Aug 2003, 07:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

Installed mine yesterday...didn't remove the fuse box at all...and it is great hearing the pssshhh sound!!! I went to Walmart (to get NCAA Football 2004) & scared the sh*t out of a group of people when I made the old girl psshhh a little

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...
Old 07 Aug 2003, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

PK,did you access the PITA bolt from below? I should have mine any day now.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 07 Aug 2003, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would say to put your car on ramps (or a lift if you're lucky). Like Ian said, it's a clear shot to the screw. If I hadn't already pulled the airbox, hose and moved the fuse tray I would've put my PT up on the ramps because it would've definitely made the job easier.

What I want to know is, has anyone gotten a torque wrench in there to get the bolts to 68 in. lbs.? Or is everyone using a little bit of "(insert surname here) torque".
Old 07 Aug 2003, 04:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Everyone keeps commenting that the BOV is loud, but how loud is loud? I can hear it go off when I'm inside the car, but it isn't loud like "people from a block away will hear it loud". Or, "here comes the fart car loud". At least for me it isn't.
Old 07 Aug 2003, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have rino ramps but it is harder to work on the top of the motor once it is up on them. I will have to give it a try though.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 07 Aug 2003, 08:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

PK,did you access the PITA bolt from below? I should have mine any day now.
Nope, didn't have a jack around...it was a pain in the a*&, but not that bad...
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DTs_PTGT

Everyone keeps commenting that the BOV is loud, but how loud is loud? I can hear it go off when I'm inside the car, but it isn't loud like "people from a block away will hear it loud". Or, "here comes the fart car loud". At least for me it isn't.
I agree...it isn't super loud...but it is a lot louder than without it...and loud enough to make people look when you go by and it goes off...

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...
Old 07 Aug 2003, 11:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Now when I stop, people say: "Is that PT Turbocharged? I didn't know they came with it from the factory"

I guess DC will have to pay us if sales increase after the BOV shipments...

Ian
Old 05 Jan 2004, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Old thread, but if anyone searches for "BOV Install"...

I found the Stanley ratchet wrench (purchased at Wally World) worked well: the edges are thinner and rounded, good for slipping passed that PITA oil line.

Tools Needed

8mm Socket & wrench, or flathead screwdriver
10mm Ratchet wrench (Buy a metric set if you do not have one, it will be worth every penny.)

My Procedure

1. Loosen both hose clamps on air intake downpipe with an 8mm socket (or flathead screwdriver, but I prefer using a socket wrench, especially on the lower one).

2. Remove airbox.

3. Disconnect downpipe from turbo and lay it across the hoopla behind the intake manifold. I saw no need to remove the power distribution cover or the surge valve vacuum hose as directed by the instructions.

4. With 10mm ratchet wrench, remove the three surge valve bolts, starting with the P.I.T.A. one (the one furthest away) by lowering the wrench with your left hand in front of the turbo and grabbing it with your right hand from behind the turbo. Aim with left hand, wrench with right hand. Using the ratchet wrench makes it unnecessary to go underneath the car.

5. Set surge valve on top of power distribution box.

6. Get the three bolts and lock-washers included in the kit. Obtain three flat-washers that will fit the bolt and the surge valve since the kit did not come with them. Assemble bolts and washers.

7. Place first bolt on top (closest) hole through surge-valve and BOV plate per instructions; fasten BOV assembly to turbo. Install second bolt. Alternately tighten both of them to torque, this will make installing the third bolt easier.

8. Install third bolt. Press against the steel line to get it in there and hand-screw it in as much as possible. Squeeze ratchet wrench onto the bolt to tighten it completely, just as in step #4. Button it all back together and enjoy!