Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UniqTwin: Why the huge differance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Default UniqTwin: Why the huge differance?

I'm wondering why there is such a large differance in the torque-band between the SRT4 Stage one and the PTGT Stage one?

The Mopar website lists 260 ft. lbs. from 2400-4400 RPM for the SRT4 and
from 3600-4400 RPM for the GT. A 1200 RPM differance in torque band is very large for only a 5 HP differance between the two kits. Is it a mis-print?

Deen

Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:19 am
Cool Cruiser

The SRT-4 uses a short runner intake manifold while the Cruiser has a long runner, and the SRT-4 has a larger intercooler. That may be the difference.

Mike
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The PT also has a muffler vs open exhaust on the SRT. It also has a different airbox and intercooler.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

The shorter runners on the SRT-4 make for better top-end power. The longer runners of the GT makes for better low end torque. I'm sure that the free flowing exhaust/mufflerless SRT-4 also accounts for the higher HP numbers as well, but it seems to me that the ECU is also holding back the HP to "acceptable insurance levels".

I am curious to see that new intake manifold for the GT. I'm hoping that the runners are shorter and the plenum volume is much bigger. (although, judging by the pictures it doesn't really appear that way).

Marc
2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo, Silver
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo 16V, Black
Old 14 Aug 2003, 07:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Marc,
Re-read what you said and you'll see that Chrysler has it exactly backwards of what you just said. The Cruiser torque-curve is HIGHER than the SRT4...exactly opposite than what you want for a heavier vehicle as the PT. If anything the Crusier needs more torque to get it moving. The cruiser has the longer intake runners for more torque but the advertising shows the torque curve 1200 RPM higher than the SRT4...something doesn't equate here.
Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, I realize that in this case the practice is different than the theory. But I would theorize that the ECU programming has more to do with the torque curves that the intake design (in this particular case). But given the same ECU calibration, my previous statements would hold true.

I also just had a crazy thought... would the SRT-4 intake fit on the PT engine at all? (clearance wise) To me it is obvious that the SRT-4 engine has the slight edge in terms of performance, and I think that visually it looks meaner IMHO. Like I said, just a crazy thought.
http://connect.to/YBT