Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CARB issue resolved?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2003, 05:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default CARB issue resolved?

I've been away - glad to see you're all having fun with your Stage 1's - for those of us in California, has the CARB/smog check issue been resolved? I looked though the threads but didn't see any reference to this.....
tezz
Old 14 Aug 2003, 11:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

NO,

As long as Mopar performance meets expectations there will be no changes. Our only hope is that someone will "snap out of it" and realise that they are missing the boat on VOLUME sales and excitement about the PT.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 05:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

i don't know much about carb testing but does anyone know how much money it takes to get the carb approval. my guess is that for chrysler it may be very expensive and the cost of our stage 1 kits would increase. even though there have been a couple of hundred or so of the kits sold. if carb testing cost 50.000.00 and dc had to spread that out amoung the 200 or so kits that would increase the cost of the stage 1 kit by 250.00 and what if it cost more, you know when big copanies like dc and the govt. go looking to buy things everyone raises the prices. so carb testing and approval could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

just my .02 cents
tommy
Old 14 Aug 2003, 05:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Let's not labor over it, it doesn't matter if it's $2million or $.02 the effect on your kit would be negligible, because it should be part of the C.A.R.B. testing that they do to be able to sell the PT or any car in California.

Truth is that someone in high places just doesn't think that we are worth the effort! If they did, it would be done yesterday.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:13 am
Young Cruiser

(sigh) guess I'll just invest the money in my old 60's FORDS then! Your loss, DMC!
tezz
Black 03 PT/GT - Autostick,Stage 1, Mopar BOV, DC rear sway, K&N filter/white baffle out, Magnaflow cat back, Eibach springs, billet strut bar, AMX CAI,3bagged UCP, Euro tail lenses, Revell shifter, misc. do-dads
Old 15 Aug 2003, 02:09 am
Senior Cruiser

You know what, I am tired of of bitching about this. They just don't give a sh1t. The only way I can give them feedback is to not buy another DMC product...which I won't. I will enjoy my car for the time that I have it but that is it.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 16 Aug 2003, 12:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nobody is forcing you to read the thread. If you want to jepardize your warranty go ahead...and then shut up. I think DC needs to step up and support their products like the rest of the tuner world.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 16 Aug 2003, 12:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

For not laboring over the point you sure use a lot of words!
Old 16 Aug 2003, 01:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The CARB level is read from the diag connector; not the tailpipe. It cannot be masked, and a fine is not reversible. If not a problem for some, fines are a big problem for others; just like warranty. Your Mileage May Vary, but your emmissions compliance responsibility is static; not dynamic.

Saying that the Stage I SHOULD pass smog tests is like saying your girlfriend is "kinda pregnant". If the info from the EEPROM in the PCM reveals it is not CARB compliant when the testing station plugs into the diag connector, there is no need to look further before passing the fine info along to the EPA. It is only up to $27,500.00; so no need to worry; chump change...
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I really don't want to get into a we versus they thing, I just got back from helping at a stage 1 install. I suppose I would feel different if I lived in a less smog control oriented area out on the desert also, but I am not moving to the desert or buying products that on the first line of the label say "not for smog controlled vehicles", sorry.