Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant drain

I tried to drain the coolant as part of the installation of Stage1 injectors. I was able to turn the valve 90° but no more and no coolant would drain. Should the valve turn more than 90° or is my drain valve defective? I got around the problem by pulling coolant out of the top tank and catching a few drops that leaked at the thermostat housing but I want to know if I can get the coolant drained in the future or do I need a new valve?
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Chz,

When you turned the valve, was the coolant system cap off? [It looks like a radiator cap] If not, little, if any, coolant will drain.

Scott
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Several others are also reporting that the drain valve doesn't open. Any ideas? It's not necessary to vent the cooling system because it will pull coolant out of the over-flow bottle.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 05:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just did it over the weekend when we installed a Stage 1 upgrade on R_K_GT's car and it only turns a little. And it will come out if the cap is off
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Aug 2003, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I did my stage 1 this weekend, and turned the drain valve 90 degrees (Max Limit) removed the system cap (radiator cap) and did all that I knew how to do to the damned thing & there was no way that even a drop of fluid came out. Fortunately the cruiser was up on the lift, so I removed the lower radiator hose to drain the system. Drained it all, & installed fresh coolant. [:I]
Alan
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was told to turn the valve 90° and "pull it out". This is a Mercedes design. It works.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

We only had to drain about a quart to do the upgrade.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come