PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
remove the cat. with stage 1 kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2003, 05:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift
Default remove the cat. with stage 1 kit

has anyone removed the cat. converter that has the stage 1 kit installed. some where i heard if we have the stg 1 kit and remove the cat. the engine light won't come on.

does anyone know the answer?

thanks tommy

Old 17 Aug 2003, 07:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't want to get caught doing that, that could really make feds
Tom
Old 17 Aug 2003, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

My solution for that was an exhaust dump that I made installed before the cat. Basically it is a Y pipe, one route goes throught the standard exhaust (feds would be happy) and the other, when uncapped, would vent directly to the atmosphere (for race purposes only []). I've got pictures of the setup on my other car if anyone is interested. The results were that the boost spooled up MUCH quicker and gained quite a bit of top end power. It wasn't really all that loud because the turbo acts as a muffler.
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Isn't there an 02 sensor in the cat though? I would think it would trip an MIL, but who knows. Either way, you can hook a resistor to the O2 plug end to make it think all is well......at least we did that on the Dakotas.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My understanding of the system is there are (2) O2 sensors, one in the cat and one upstream of the cat and the PCM looks at both inputs to insure that the cat is performing properly. It will probably be necessary to fool the sensor that went into the cat even if there is an insert point in the downpipe replacing the cat. Thats my $ .02 [:I]
Alan
Old 18 Aug 2003, 01:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If I were to go outlaw, I would probably opt for a 3" high flow cat. The one currently used has to be a max of 2" inlet/outlet. Must have been another one of those cost saving measures. Outlaw shops will swap out to a big cat for about $200. Pretty cheap considering.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 01:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GLH_TC 16V

My solution for that was an exhaust dump that I made installed before the cat. Basically it is a Y pipe, one route goes throught the standard exhaust (feds would be happy) and the other, when uncapped, would vent directly to the atmosphere (for race purposes only []). I've got pictures of the setup on my other car if anyone is interested. The results were that the boost spooled up MUCH quicker and gained quite a bit of top end power. It wasn't really all that loud because the turbo acts as a muffler.
In America those wastegates are inherently illegal, and if visible from the street will net you a fine. Uncle Sam thinks that from the air inlet to the end of the cat is holy ground and may NOT be modified. the only legal wastegate in the U.S. is after Cat, and that may be subject to local interpretation for sound considerations.

It makes you wish for the good old big block days, but they are gone forever now!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 12:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Really? Banned in the USA huh? Good thing I'm in Canada and the Queen mum approves .

On the street you'd be running a stock exhaust, no excessive noise. At the track, you could run it uncorked and still not hear it over the big block next to you.
http://connect.to/YBT