PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Macster's Stage 1 Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2003, 09:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster
Default Macster's Stage 1 Install

My stage 1 kit is in. The "Fuel Injectors" were looked at and it was determined by the Tech that there is nothing to be concerned with. So we nixed the manifold heat shield. He was very excited about the increased in performance brought on by the kit. He liked the BOV and thought that it was a great idea to have it installed with the kit. He did say that the instructions had removals that weren't necessary. I also still have a gallon of coolant left, as there was very little wasted. Additionally he recommended that I have my intake manifold ported and polished. But I am going to wait until Stage 2 comes out and do it then. He keeps bugging me about the exhaust, but I told him that I will wait till after stage 2. Stage 2 will be it for me. The only thing that has to be done to the car is to have the front and rear sway bars installed. He also mentioned something about me needing new tires and then he started laughing??????

macster
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Well, maybe meaning that you *will* need new tires with all the additional power.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 22 Aug 2003, 02:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TripleJackInGA

Well, maybe meaning that you *will* need new tires with all the additional power.

Yeah, could be.

But I wonder just what the Stage 2 will be like? I like power, speed, etc, I also like reliability the most. I don't mind if I can only get 150k miles out of the engine due to the MODs. But I just don't want to have to spend every Sat "fixing" my car in order to get the 150K mile engine life.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 22 Aug 2003, 04:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Remember, the guys at the front of the line find the problems for us bringing up the rear.

If anyone quotes anything about reliability on a product with 2 or 3 weeks general usage, be VERY suspect!

The kit works! The rest, no one can know yet.

(We all will depend heavily on people reporting more than just how happy they are with more horsepower.)
Old 22 Aug 2003, 05:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ha

Pioneers get the arrows

Settlers get the land

but it all

ends up belonging to the BIG BOSS MAN!

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 22 Aug 2003, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

Additionally he recommended that I have my intake manifold ported and polished.
macster
Macster, just passing on this bit of info from Bob Stockum re: intake porting/polishing. I inquired about the same...

<quote>
There is not a lot that needs to be done where the two halves
come together. Don't make it bigger there, .... just smooth it out some. Down where the head and manifold meet is where the head and manifold can be enlarged.
Thanks!!
Bob
<quote>
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The way to do it right is to remove the considerable moulding marks from the intake halves and do port matching with the head so you dont clear up flow one place and create it again by leaving a step somewhere else in the intake system.

Extrusion honing is a great way to do a system hone, an boy does it work!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ca Smog Test

According to my installer, I got through the first couple of stages okay, with no problems, before they stopped for the paying customers. We are going to go back in, for a complete "test," but this time as a paying customer. I will update when I get it done.

macster

Old 23 Aug 2003, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

My stage 1 kit is in. The "Fuel Injectors" were looked at and it was determined by the Tech that there is nothing to be concerned with. So we nixed the manifold heat shield.
macster
Are you talking about the exhaust manifold heat shield? You left it off? I don't know how much different the turbo is compared to the n/a PT but people leaving the heat shield off after installing a header were in danger of melting wires, alternator, etc. Here is what MX-5 over at PTE said about leaving the heatshield off:

"Engine operating temps were never a consideration.

It's engine bay ambient temps that increase substantially when the heatshield is missing.

The enemy is the steering rack, all full of fluid, and rubber seals & hoses.
The plastic coolant resevoir and many electrical lines sit right above the header.

I did extensive temperature testing with and without the heatshields. The ambient temps surrounding the header increase enough to cause damage or premature wear, in my opinion.

I don't know of anyone who took temp measurements who did not decide to install the shields. I've installed several headers and will put the shields back on no matter what."

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Aug 2003, 11:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

Quote:
Originally posted by macster

My stage 1 kit is in. The "Fuel Injectors" were looked at and it was determined by the Tech that there is nothing to be concerned with. So we nixed the manifold heat shield.
macster
Are you talking about the exhaust manifold heat shield?

NOPE!

We were going to custom make a heat shield to put between the intake manifold and the block.

macster