Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
mopar performance warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2003, 10:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default mopar performance warranty

In almost every topic the question of warranty for youre vehicle using mopar performance parts comes up. Most of you believe that youre entire warranty would be voided, but if you read the warranty statement it only states that the stage 1 kit carries no warranty with it and I quote "Chrysler,Dodge,and Jeep vehicle and part warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition or if they fail as a result of modification." as for as I am concerned unless they can prove you use youre vehicle in competition or if you modify the parts you should still be entitled to youre factory warranty minus the stage 1 parts.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

it also says these parts are for competition only.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

From the Mopar Performance Parts - PT Turbo Upgrage Page:

Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles.

Here is the Warranty Statement (bold emphasis added to point out parts of the warranty that have provoked the discussion):

Mopar Performance Parts Warranty

Mopar Performance Parts are sold "as is," without any warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair.

Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep® vehicle and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition or if they fail as a result of modification.

Notice

Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification or rendering inoperative of any part or element of design affecting emissions of safety on motor vehicles used for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. Violation may result in a fine of up to $27,500 per vehicle. Mechanical and/or electronic performance parts cannot be use used on vehicles used on the streets or highways. These parts may be used only on vehicles used solely in sanctioned off-highway events. No other applications are intended or implied.

Note - California Only

The emission laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles. Consequently, when indicated and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle which will never be operated on public roads.

Prices

Retail prices are set by the individual selling dealer or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Parts line of products. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Parts Ordering and Inquiries

The parts published on this website may be ordered from authorized Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealerships or the speed shops carrying the Mopar Performance Pares line of products. When a part ordered has been superseded, the replacing part will be shipped automatically. The price of the replacing part may differ from the ordered part.

All product illustrations are based on authorized information. Although all descriptions are believed correct at time of publication approval, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Mopar Performance Parts reserves the right to make changes from time to time without notice or obligation in prices specification, materials and to change or discontinue models.

Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:21 am
Cool Cruiser

My dealer tried to pin the problem detailed in TSB 18-029-03 on my recently installed Mopar BOV. If I hadn't complained of the misfire problem 2 months ago, they wouldn't have ordered a new PCM for me.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Don't get Kirby started back up on this one again.......

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's nice to know that you're thinking about me! I should be honored.

If you are the kind of guy that ignores the bold print on the package front (maybe don't even look at the instructions), well then, all that we talk about here is just yatta,yatta,yatta.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Print on the cigarette packages hasn't stopped smoking. Even social castigation hasn't stopped people from eating themselves to death. Some people will just do what they will, reguardless of the consequences.

I just hope that people posting on this site will be brutally honest when they have problems so that as many of the speed bumps as possible are known to all.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 10:30 pm
Young Cruiser

lets put it this way you have to go through mopar headquarters to purchase the unit you surry them with youre VIN so they know exactly who you are and the vehicle it is going on so why dont they void youre warranty at the point of purchase? I know mine has not been..
And another thing to think about you can order youre srt4 with the stage 1, stage 2, or stage 3 from factory do you beleive theese vehicles will be sold as is?? I have discussed this with my dealer and he asured me there would be no warranty issues with the stage 1
kit instaled in my vehicle except for the parts for the stage 1 (PCM and injectors)
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spidy134

lets put it this way you have to go through mopar headquarters to purchase the unit you surry them with youre VIN so they know exactly who you are and the vehicle it is going on so why dont they void youre warranty at the point of purchase? I know mine has not been..
And another thing to think about you can order youre srt4 with the stage 1, stage 2, or stage 3 from factory do you beleive theese vehicles will be sold as is?? I have discussed this with my dealer and he asured me there would be no warranty issues with the stage 1
kit instaled in my vehicle except for the parts for the stage 1 (PCM and injectors)
FWIW, you provide the VIN so the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) doesn't cry foul and put the computer in sleep mode. The warranty is in fact not automatically voided in the company database by purchasing the Stage I kit.

On one hand, the warranty says that competition use will void the car's warranty; whether it be a Jeep, Chrysler or Dodge.

On the other hand the package and PCM state for off-road use only; illegal for street use. This would imply it was for competition use only. (see paragraph above)

The sales personel are still finding out that the Stage I is not covered under factory warranty, despite claims from many dealerships that this was the way it was initially presented to them (covered under warranty).

After filtering through all that, it is the dealer's view (for the most part) that a failure that can be traced back to an aftermarket modification is not considered a warranty situation.

Considering that the PCM (new one included in Stage I) controls nearly all engine functions, it rapidly becomes a slippery slope determining warranty liability on any failed engine part; since most get their marching orders from the PCM.

Likewise with the injectors. An injector failure could cause any number of engine components to fail. Fortunately, the PCM is designed to trap as many component failures as possible that are monitored by various sensors.

RE: Injector failure or components affected by the PCM, refer back to the paragraph about the PCM controlling nearly all engine functions.

At best, this leaves a very wide area of the drive train warranty open for interpretation, given the way the Mopar Peformance Warranty is written.

The debate is further inflamed by the indications that the 2004 GT will include the same injectors and PCM as stock items and they will be covered under the factory warranty. The only difference between the PCM in Stage I and the one stock on 2004 production is a little less agressive programming on the 2004 production PCM.

All in all, this presents a very confusing situation for the ones choosing to purchase Stage I. It eventually will boil down to your individual relationship with what ever service department you deal with, and how they interpret the many variations of what warranty coverage will consist of with a Stage I equipped car.

Compared with other manufacturers and the degree of support they give on performance options engineered for their product, after the sale, this puts Chrysler in unfavorable light.

At the end of the day, it comes down to a personal decision and a willingness to take a gamble. It also provides some additional insight on future car purchases, if performance is an option that is to be pursued.

In the meantime, we can take our lumps and make the best of the situation.

It doesn't look like the situation is likely to bend from the pressure of the winds of change.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 12:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It will be interesting to see how the dealerships handle the warranty issue if they do in fact install stage I or stage II kits as installed dealer options on new vehicles. (An out the door stage II PT would be an awesome piece to behold.)

Also, this would be in blatant violation of Federal , and in California, State law.