Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Save $$$?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2003, 09:16 am
Young Cruiser

Default Save $$$?

Just wondered if the Stage I will work on the '04 180 hp turbo and if so produce the same power, hp/torque, as if added to the GT. If so, you could probably end up with a '04 Stage I for less than a stock GT. Also noted a $25 discount on MOPAR parts in the "Cruiser Quarterly.
Old 08 Sep 2003, 09:33 am
Cool Cruiser

I was wondering the same thing this past weekend. I went back to my dealership to follow up on some things and went poking around in the back lot. They had 2 new 04 PT Turbo's with the spoiler and 16" chrome wheels in black and the new graphite. Popped the hood and it was intercooled as well, so I don't see why they couldn't be upgraded.

Base price was around $2000Cdn cheaper than the 03 GT's but it looks like they changed the wheels, interior trim (no faux carbon fibre), and floor mats. There must have been a few more things but I didn't stick around to note them all. I would want to check out the brakes, tranny (can't remember if it had autostick), and standard power options (windows, locks, etc...).

All in all, seems like a good deal for a base turbo model... add the Stage 1 and you've got some serious power on tap. You just wouldn't have the higher level trim found on the GT's... then again, you might not want that. Oh yeah, they didn't have the GT badge on the back, I believe that it had the "Touring Edition" in place of the GT.
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 08 Sep 2003, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Guys,

I would worry more about the tranny. The Autostick tranny is a beefier piece than the standard automatic. Also, does the 180 hp engine have all of the improvements that the GT engine has??

My 2 cents,

Scott
Old 09 Sep 2003, 08:32 am
Young Cruiser

I understand your concerns, however there are a lot of Cruisers on the streets with after market superchargers and turbos putting out more than Stage I power on the original driveline components plus dare I say, "a real factory rear sway bar!" This makes me wonder whether the DC liability lawyers are asleep on the job, putting out this extra power without concern for improving the vehicles emergency handling characteristics.