Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 pricing in Canada......sucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2003, 01:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Stage 1 pricing in Canada......sucks!

Stage 1 Canadian Pricing at http://connect.to/YBT
MSRP: $738 Manual / *$795 Automatic

Is this true? Canadian pricing for the Stage 1 kit!!! What a ripoff!!!
That's like a 1.84 exchange rate...what nonsense!!!
Even the $615 http://connect.to/YBT are asking is 1.54 if you work it out...

FYI-Current exchange rate is 1.37...I would expect the MSRP to be pretty close to 1.4x the US MSRP but not 1.8!!!

Looks like I'll be picking one up in the USA...Why must Canadian retailers continually rip us off? I'm assuming that Chrysler Canada are not officially carrying this yet at the dealerships...maybe this is the reasoning for the high pricing?

:-(

LIP
Old 12 Sep 2003, 03:51 am
Senior Cruiser

they get dinged for the shipping cost to them, and of course they need to make a profit.

I think ybt buys them from another person, who also makes a profit.

but if you try this site and work it out: wycoff
autostick version $405 + $25 for shipping = $430 x 1.37 =$589.10cdn so ybt makes $25profit.

how much gas are you going to use driving to the states, and duty charges too.

Old 12 Sep 2003, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

I wasn't so much disgusted at their "special" price as I was at the MSRP. The $25USD for shipping seems outrageous. I have my own small business and I know from experience it for a package and mass this size it would cost less than $10USD to ship it USPS Priority to Canada. Shipping Xpresspost to the mainland USA is around $17CAD maximum for this item.
I'm in the US often with business so gas isn't an issue. I also don't know if it is smart to buy it from this company here or from someone else in the USA when Chrysler Canada is not offering this MOPAR part yet. I think I'll wait and see if this MSRP stands as is when we see it officially here in Canada and then decide.
Cheers,
LIP
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:09 am
Cool Cruiser

I think that I should chime in here since it is my site with prices that are in question.

First of all, I will be getting these Stage 1 kits from a Canadian Chrysler Dealership with which I have an account to sell Mopar parts. I am not importing them in from the US for several reasons which I can list if you are really interested.

I will be the first to admit that I was suprised at the higher Canadian MSRP on the kits. The MSRP pricing I received was direct from the dealer/parts manager and I was simply posting the pricing as a matter of reference. I do believe that the higher pricing is due to the duty and taxes that auto parts enjoy when vacationing north of the border. If you have ever tried to order auto parts from the US to Canada, the general rule of thumb is to double the US price and that's what you'll end up paying in Canadian (including shipping, duty and taxes), Free Trade where are you now? If you are picking it up personally and decide to 'hide it from customs' when you bring it back to Canada then you can avoid the duty and taxes and your exchange rate theory holds true. Myself, I would not want the hassle of having the kits seized by customs for failure to declare the goods. With the increase security now, it is harder to 'smuggle' stuff back.

That being said, as an intelligent consumer you must make your money work for you as best you can. If you can a better deal on the kit in the US, then you should buy it in the US. I would like to earn everyone's business but not by ripping anyone off, but at the same time putting food on my table.

I hope that this explains things a bit. I'm still waiting for our first kits to come in from Chrysler Canada, so I guess that you could say that they are not yet officially available in Canada.

http://connect.to/YBT
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Good to hear...thanks GLH TC 16V for the info.
I think your pricing is very good in comparison to the MSRP and if you are getting them from Chrysler Canada. I asked a local dealer and they said they were not available yet to them and thus had no pricing.
It's not only auto parts where we get ripped off. A lot of higher end consumer items such as high level digital cameras...we end up paying on average 10-30% more on our pricing than the US does even after they pay their sales tax...it's a joke. It's usually not import taxes or anything like this, rather it is usually just the more competetive market in the US that forces the prices down.

I've emailed Uniq Twin to find out what the availability is for these and other MOPAR products in Canada. I'll ask her about these high prices also as this is pushing $1000CAD with tax if you look at MSRP.

Cheers,
LIP
Old 12 Sep 2003, 01:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I guess that along with the French and the Germans, we don't need the Canadian's respect either!

The spirit of domination and control is fast replacing the spirit of competition and superior service, good service now is when you actually get the correct change while paying.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 03:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Kirby,

I assume you are from the USA.
We regularly get "shafted" up here in Canada...it's just a fact of life. It's not the USA manufacturers however, it's usually Canadian distributors, etc (I would put Chrysler Canada in this bunch of distribution)... Our consumer electronics (video players, tv's, etc...) are usually cheaper in Canada (before the 15% tax!!!) but most things in general are more expensive up here. Check the pricing of Canadian wheels and tires online and compare it to USA prices...
It's a real pity with regards to the stage 1. If I can get away with it, I'll definitely be buying it in the USA (lower tax as well) and just stick it in my suitcase. I'm allowed up to $700CAD if I am away longer than 7 days so it's fine.
It's not like Chrysler is going to give me a warranty if I buy it in Canada anyways...
Cheers,
LIP
Old 12 Sep 2003, 03:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

My typical Canadian answer, what can you do about it?

It would be nice to get the stage 1 in the US and have a US friend let you use the garage before the return trip....mmmm?

Old 12 Sep 2003, 04:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Southern California would be a nice trip to do some "vehicular testing". You would want to buy in Oregon though(No Sales Tax).
Old 12 Sep 2003, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

We do get "shafted" most everytime if you compate pricing US to Canada (and thank goodness we don't live in the UK... talk about being SHAFTED). The only thing that I think that we get a better deal on (ironically) are cars (and beer). Check out the MSRPs on the GT Can vs. US. Definitely lower in Canada with exchange rates factored in.
http://connect.to/YBT