Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 necessary???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stage 1 necessary???

Ok, I've been reading around about Stage 1 and the upcoming stage 2 and I'm starting to think this may be a waste of cash.

My main reason for thinking this is (this is not meant as a slam, just an example) 3BarBoost's track times in his sig line at the end of his posts.
--------------
'04 PT GT 5spd
14.48 @ 96 mph
Stage 1 + Race Pipe
--------------

Now I have an 03 GT 5 speed with only an air intake, and a manual boost controller and blowoff as mods. With that I ran a 14.66 at 96.5 MPH. (My R/T sucked at 1.42) My next planned mod is the exhaust, which should net me some good hp gain. Which makes me think that my little MBC is helping me more than Stage 1 is helping others.

Stage 2 pretty much replaces Stage 1 as well from what I've heard, and gives bigger HP gains. So what's the point of stage 1???

Feel free to prove me wrong if I am, but this just seems really bizarre to me.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, the Stage 1 provides a few more advantages over just a MBC. Here is a quote from the Mopar PT Stage 1 info page:

-Increased WOT and part throttle boost
-Enhanced 1st gear boost schedule for a higher performance launch
-Optimized calibration for the MOPAR blow off valve conversion kit (sold seperately)
-Improved turbo response
-Boost hold feature during WOT shifts
-Soft rev limiter

Not to mention that the Stage 1 kit improves power SAFELY adding more fuel (+10% injectors) with the increased air (+boost). With just a MBC, you run the chance of running lean as you are only adding air and not fuel.

I've seen this topic debated over and over since the late 80's with the turbo Dodge cars. The general consensus was that the MBC when used in conjuction with more fuel (increased fuel pressure, larger injectors, or extra injector) it was just as good (horsepower wise) as the computer upgrade. The computer upgrade, although more expensive, was safer and better due to the added benefit of driveability.
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

But with an even better PCM coming with Stage 2... isn't this just a money grab? I can just buy injectors seperately.
2003 Cranberry GT. Turbosmart manual boost controller and blow off valve, Autometer boost guage, custom cold air intake, APC carbon Fiber Euro Taillights, Street Glow purple under car neon, purple grill neon.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Of what I have experienced just go with the bigger injectors the stage 1 pcm is too picky with mods I have a Greedy Profec B spec 2 boost controler, custom cold air intake, stage 1 and b.o.v it runs great on the street but sucks on the track runs better on the track with big injectors and stock NGC controller. BY the way nice to see some canucks racing there Pt's if anyone is intrested me and ptturbine are thinking about having a PT track day next summer if anyone is intrested contact me or ptturbine an dwe will start scedualing the event for cayuga next summer[:X]
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was out at Cayuga for the sport compact event on the 7th, and planning to go back for the one on Oct 4th.
2003 Cranberry GT. Turbosmart manual boost controller and blow off valve, Autometer boost guage, custom cold air intake, APC carbon Fiber Euro Taillights, Street Glow purple under car neon, purple grill neon.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Not sure exactly what is going to happen with the Stage 2 kits right now. There are rumours that there will be a rebate for the Stage 1 owners wanting to upgrade to Stage 2, but I see your point.

From what I have been hearing, Stage 2 is going to be more than just another PCM and injectors (+20%). There is also rumoured to be an intercooler sprayer and a 4 stage boost setting. For the boost setting, I'd hazard a guess as stock, Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 2 w/110 Octane.

As for a Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park) meet, I'd be up for it. I was there on Aug. 22nd doing some baseline runs for my stock autostick GT. If I have the Stage 1 (on order) by Oct. 4th, I'd be interested in hooking up for some racing.
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

the neon srt-4 crowd will get stage 3, and also a stage 3r edition.

Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Ptturbine

Sounds like a money grab to me!

GT_FIRE.....Pls keep me posted about the 4th of Oct, sounds like it may be a good excuse to head out there again!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll look it all up and post info and links for the Oct 4th thing in the Canada forum sometime in the next 24 hrs.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Yah the 4th sounds good some cool air will help alot hope it doesnt rain you know how sh_t the weather gets around that time!! see you there.[8)]