Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Received & Installed Stage I

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2003, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Received & Installed Stage I

I know that many others here have already posted their Stage I results, but I thought I'd give a little more info after I received and installed my Stage I on my 5-speed, otherwise stock (one silencer removed) GT:

First of all, it only took 1 hour to complete the job and was moving very slowly & methodically (admittedly, working on mechanicals is second nature to me). The instructions seemed rather long, but were more detailed than I felt necessary.

After installation, drove it around the backroads at approximatly 9:30 p.m. My first impression is that 1st gear is totally useless at full throttle. There was NEVER an occasion when wheelspin wouldn't take over & just spin the tires through to redline. Standing start, rolling start, hitting it midway up the powerband--didn't matter. On one hand, I like this because it indicates that the car is DEFINITELY making a lot more power than before (at least in the lower gears); but on the other hand, the traction control kept jerking in & out until I decided to shut it off completely (it should make even slow 1st gear starts in the rain practically an art);

Redline:

The "soft" rev limiter is a godsend. No longer do I have to anticipate shifting as the tach swings past 5500 knowing that in just a moment the engine will hit the limiter and feel like it just slammed into a brick wall. Definitely a no-fun time. The car now just revs up (& slightly past) the old rev limiter cutoff and stays there, without any harsh cutting-out; just no further progress either.

Second gear-- Shifting into second was much more fun (with the soft rev limter keeping power up), with wheelspin galore (keeping traction control off) & very hard acceleration, noticeably quicker than the before the Stage I (but not extremely quicker);

Third - on:

The car just pulls & pulls. Upper gears are obviously not going to show a huge improvement, as it takes much more horsepower to give dramatic results in improvement, but it was fun nonetheless.

Overall, I can't think of a better "bang for the buck" with this upgrade. I know a lot of people are worried about warranty issues, but I am not. I have owned only Mopars and have always upgraded them (with that same disclaimer for "racing use only" & "not warranted" being on the items since before I can remember--in the '80s when they were "Direct Connection"). I installed a Mopar computer upgrade in my old Neon R/T w/o a second thought & my car was serviced under warranty a couple of times for various maladies such as plug wire failure & even a bearing failure.

So to me, I think it is much ado about nothing. Perhaps I will worry if something bad happens, but I've never lived my life worrying about "what if's"--elsewise I may become paranoid about even leaving the safety of my own home. Just a philosophy.

Anyhow, 5 stars for the Stage I upgrade. I probably won't go to Stage II; not for lack of wanting more power, but because I have other priorities I could spend the $$ on (kids, mortgage, student loans, investments, etc.). Anyhow, I am certain that my GT is already quicker than 95% or more of the auto population; I've just got to pick my challenges wisely.

Will give results from the 1/4-mile next week (hopefully).

Cheers.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 01:27 am
Young Cruiser

Must you go through the "Quick Learn" procedure of Stage 1 with the 5-spd, as well?
Old 28 Sep 2003, 01:29 am
Young Cruiser

PS - Thanks for the detailed post of the installation. It really provides me, one who hasn't decided yet to purchase, with some good insight.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 01:41 am
Cool Cruiser

No, the "quick learn" is for the Autostick only... but I'm sure that you'll have to learn how to handle the extra power pretty quick.
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 28 Sep 2003, 02:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GLH_TC 16V

No, the "quick learn" is for the Autostick only... but I'm sure that you'll have to learn how to handle the extra power pretty quick.
Well, I finally got to drive my car since the Stage I and Bov was installed! All I can say it's an incredible rush! LOL.... No "Quick Learn " for 5 Speed but the is a " Hold On" You have to teach yourself or you may be off-roading if you are not carefull..

I'm 2 weeks out from completion..

Moondoggie![8D]

03 Turbo 5 Speed Manual, Stage I & BOV, 3" down side pipes
Beach Cruiser
Founding Director
Houston City Cruisers
www.houstoncitycruisers.com
Old 28 Sep 2003, 03:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

i have s1 and 5spd...i also have aftermarket 17x8's so i haven't seen issues with wheelspin...tho i haven't popped the clutch either.
what boost you getting at WOT and where do you have the boost tap?
I think you can run up 1st gear with more authority than stock and it'll hold rpm's well.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 28 Sep 2003, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question to you guys:
1. Does the S1 upgrade get rid of the knock sound when shifting gears in the 5 speed?
2. This may sound stupid, but what exactly is "popping the clutch"?

Cheers,
LIP
Old 28 Sep 2003, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

hold the clutch in, floor the gas, and release the clutch.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

hold the clutch in, floor the gas, and release the clutch.
And then pick up the pieces ,ptgtcb
Don't think so.. I got a chance at Chrysler Route 2003 to put a stock GT through the paces.. It cant compare to a Stage I
( Especially 5 speed Manual).. It's like night and day! STAGE I RULES for now!

Moondoggie![8D]
Founding Director
Houston City Cruisers
www.houstoncitycruisers.com
Old 29 Sep 2003, 03:03 am
Cool Cruiser

The original post has me thinking, maybe Stage 1 is too much, my wife drives this car a couple times a week - the extra speed may be more than she can handle.

Is it really that crazy in first?

Then again, it might not be so bad if she decides she can't drive it!

[8)]