Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
If there's no warranty w/ Stage 1...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2003, 10:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Default If there's no warranty w/ Stage 1...

Being the paranoid fool that I am, I've got two warranty questions w/Stage One...

I've been reading all the posts concerning DCX's lack of warranty with the Stage One - the whole "caveat emptor" "as-is" business. But does that mean then that:

A)If DCX sent you a defective part(s) with the kit that you'd be totally S.O.L. b/c you bought it w/o any warranty (stressed umpteen times)

and/or

B)If you have the dealership install the kit, and THEY screw up the install...same thing? Given it's not warrantied by DCX, if they break a part or install something incorrectly resulting in something else failing, are YOU screwed?

Admittedly, I'm not in the market right this second for this kit, but I'm VERY interested in it - I'd just like to know what to expect when the time/ability for impulse shopping comes around in a bit...

Thanks much in advance!!

Mike

Old 01 Oct 2003, 11:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thank You for your question!!

Read the language on the Mopar Performance web page carefully. Each word has been scrutinised by very powerful corporate lawyers. The statement on warranty is a very calculated and firmly supported Chrysler position!

There are Chrysler employees and family members posting on this site that will ask you to ignore the warning, that Chrysler has always used this wording, that they will warrant the product anyway, and that there are various laws that make Chrysler responsible for proving that these parts caused any problem.

Your individual problem can be with the fact that the Power Control Module (PCM),controls almost everything in the drivetrain, and the verbage says that any competitive use of your car also voids all warranty. Make your best guess if this will be used to avoid paying for warranty work on your car.

If you feel lucky, have at it. The stage I kit works, and works well, but make your decision with open eyes. Chrysler did not post and print those words "totally and wholly without warranty" by mistake. If your local dealer is flakey, and you have a problem, the install of the Mopar Performance parts WILL come up, and right away!

Now, get ready for the Mopar Performance and Daimler Chrysler supporters to minimize any and all that I have just posted!
Old 01 Oct 2003, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...I see the enemy coming over the ridge...and they are us! I believe in what is written, not in what is talked.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Oct 2003, 09:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm....

From the looks of it, this Stage 1 thing might really be a crap shoot...from purchase all the way through installation. I dunno, but although it seems well worth the money if it WORKED...there's way too much room for a major SNAFU along the way...[xx(] And when you have a brand new otherwise FULLY WARRANTIED car to consider the risks might definitely outweigh the benefits...

Anymore insight?

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 02 Oct 2003, 09:15 am
Cool Cruiser

This is indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed the problem...
No one is saying that the stage 1 will cause any problems or is too much for the engine (quite the opposite)...the problem is that there is always the chance of an unrelated engine problem that would have occurred with or without the Stage 1. How does anyone suppose that you can argue against D-C or the dealership if this part of the engine fails. Lets say the turbo fails...how are you going to prove that this did not cause that???
It really sucks as I also REALLY REALLY REALLY want to install this but I don't have the spare money lying around to cough up 1-2k in repairs that are not covered under warranty...

Cheers,

LIP
Old 02 Oct 2003, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Yeah...I hear you. The cost of the kit is actually phenonemal given the results...hell, even some of the dealer installation quotes aren't all THAT bad.

With your all's explanation, I'm now beginning understand all the TONS of ping-pong posts in other topics regarding the issue with DCX not warrantying their own products.

As I feel a chorus of "I can see clearly now the rain is goooone" coming on, I'd better sign off.

Thanks again for all the insight. Looks like unless proven otherwise, I might REALLY have to give some thoughts into buying a product from someone who openly states that it's sold "AS-IS".

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
Old 02 Oct 2003, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Someone else posted in another discussion that other upgrades from various manufactures will be coming out and provide as good or better performance with a warranty (for their parts)...I don't really see the benefit from the MOPAR solution other than the PVO engineers designing it...
Cheers,
LIP
Old 03 Oct 2003, 09:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Wasn't there enough posts on this crap already![xx(][:0], ptgtcb
Actually, yeah, there have been a great deal of posts on this issue, but after poring through all the ones I could find, I found none that directly addressed my particular question. There was a lot of DCX bashing for not warrantying the product, but nothing that suggested the risks of buying/ factory-installing a non-warrantied product. Hence the introduction of yet ANOTHER Stage One warranty topic.

Peace, [^]

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
Old 03 Oct 2003, 05:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think that every new owner will have to broach this topic sometime. Some of the "Old Timers" are justifiably tired of it, but that should not stand in the way of laying ALL the cards on the table!

Please understand that there are hundreds of threads to participate in. the guys that post the "old and tired" line choose to read the thread!