PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My Dealer & Stage 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2003, 02:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default My Dealer & Stage 1

Just wanted to know opinions on this:

Called my dealer this morning for and inspection appointment and mentioned to him that I was getting my Stage 1 tomorrow and if had done any intallations.

His response back: He never heard of the Stage 1. [xx(] [:0]
Old 13 Oct 2003, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

To quote a line from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'........

"RUN AWAY.......RUN AWAY VERY QUICKLY!!!!!"

Two ways to look at it.
1) Find a dealer who has done upgrade stuff like this on at least other types of DCX vehicles.
2) Give them the benefit of the doubt.If they can't change a PCM and injectors, they shouldn't be in business anyway.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 14 Oct 2003, 03:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

When I asked my dealer about the Stage 1 back in June the service guy had never heard of it. When I called in August to ask about pricing I had to tell them what was involved to install it. I was quoted $200 install. When I ordered it in August the part guy had heard of it, but had to call DC for the part #. When I had it installed in August I was only charged $160, I paid $140 with my club discount. Mine was the first one ordered and installed. One thing that was good was that I wanted to have it installed on a Saturday, but the service guy suggested I have it done during the week so their best mechanic could install it. That was good enough for me! [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Oct 2003, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At least your dealer gave you a price. The dealership from whom I purchased the car (Lithia Motors) refused to order or install the Stage 1.[:I]

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise--tthrift gave me a much better price, encouraged me to install the kit myself (which I did), which ended up saving me a lot of money AND helped me learn a bit more about the car. Thanks again, Tommy.[?]
Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The guys at my dealership:
a) Never heard of it,
b) Wanted $500 to install it,
c) Told me they would void my warranty if they did install it, or if i ordered it.
How's that for bull****...

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 15 Oct 2003, 03:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

The guys at my dealership:
a) Never heard of it,
b) Wanted $500 to install it,
c) Told me they would void my warranty if they did install it, or if i ordered it.
How's that for bull****...
Sounds like the dealer I bought my '01 from. Service Manager told me if I did anything performancewise to my '01 he would void my warranty. Bought my GT at a different dealer, one who doen't give this BS. Dalite posted this back in May:

"I am pasting this in from a post I made elsewhere concerning this issue. I believe the topic has been brought up in duscussion here. This post should elaborate a little, and give some sources for more info.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 addresses the concerns of installing aftermarket equipment and maintaining factory warranty coverage. Here is a short excerpt of an explanation of the act and what is and isn't covered. Keep in mind that the explanation below is not the actual act; merely an interpretation .

FANNING FEARS
You want to upgrade your vehicle with aftermarket equipment, but you’re worried about putting the vehicle’s warranty at risk. It’s no wonder. How many times have you heard somene of a dealership say that installing aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed – though it is completely false.

Fact: Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH
Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.
In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

FEDERAL LAW
‘In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty. Such rules . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.’ – Magnuson-Moss Warranty & Federal Trade Commission improvement Act. Section 2302(a)

More of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act explained can be found here:

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ptcruiser/magnuson.cfm

This may be an important piece of info to keep in your car's glove box. I will try to see if I can get the full text of the act from an official site.

The act is usually referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. Here is

Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:50 am
Cool Cruiser

My dealer says if we install the Stage one kit they will cover warranty repairs on the engine as long as the engine was not abused becasue of the Stage one upgrade, they mentioned stretched rods, busted valves caused by over revving and so forth. And they even offered to install it when we get it.

Mike
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:00 am
Senior Cruiser

yeah, those forged rods stretch all the time.........

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 16 Oct 2003, 01:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

yeah, and they'll have to take your car apart to prove that.
I don't run my car hard at all, by i like the better responsiveness I get with the Stage1. Somehow, I feel like I'd have to prove that to a dealer...

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 17 Oct 2003, 04:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Radowski

My dealer says if we install the Stage one kit they will cover warranty repairs on the engine as long as the engine was not abused becasue of the Stage one upgrade, they mentioned stretched rods, busted valves caused by over revving and so forth. And they even offered to install it when we get it.

Mike
How can you over rev with a rev limiter?