Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 in, but still have WOT problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2003, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stage 1 in, but still have WOT problem.

Well I'm going on 3 weeks with my Stage1 installed and I'm experiencing the same stumble at WOT that I was experiencing with the stock setup. My GT is a 5 speed with silencers out, a K&N drop in, stock plugs gapped to .40 and I always use Texaco 92 octane fuel. The stumble is not as frequent, but definitely still there. And of course it's a intermittent problem. One day the motor pulls strong with no hesitation, and the next day it's stumbling bad at WOT. The stumble is more like a complete cutout of either fuel or spark to the whole motor, so I'm thinking it’s the Stage1 PCM. Though maybe it’s another issues, like bad plugs, plug wires, coil, etc. If it was some other issue besides the PCM, you'd think I would be experiencing the problem all the time, not intermittently. Could I have a bad Satge1 PCM?[:I] Hopefully I’ll get it straightened out as one “justification” to the CFO for the Stage1 purchase, was the elimination of the stumble. Now she’s asking if it’s possible to return the Stage1! [:0] Suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sorry to hear the S1 didn't solve the problem. I have been lobbying my CFO for permission to invest in one for the same reason. There are times when this thing just dogs when I get into the go pedal. There has to be a solutoin.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 17 Oct 2003, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am having an intermitant stumble at WOT with my 2003 GT. It seems like I get it when I romp on it and hold it to the floor. When I roll the throttle on, it pulls to red line. My plan is to regap the plugs. If that doesn't work, I'm off to the dealer to have the PCM flashed.

My car was built: December 2002.

Old 18 Oct 2003, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

i also was plaged with the high rpm miss with the stage I installed on my gt. i now have it fixed and here is what i did to fix the problem. i installed a set of cranes wires and a screaming demon coil and i put another set of plugs champion #3032 which is one step cold than stock and i moved my gap back up 0.50 from the old gap of 0.40. this took care of my miss.

good luck tommy
Old 18 Oct 2003, 02:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input Tommy. I'm going to swap out the plugs and wires this weekend and see what happens.[8D]
Danny
Old 18 Oct 2003, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tthrift

i also was plaged with the high rpm miss with the stage I installed on my gt. i now have it fixed and here is what i did to fix the problem. i installed a set of cranes wires and a screaming demon coil and i put another set of plugs champion #3032 which is one step cold than stock and i moved my gap back up 0.50 from the old gap of 0.40. this took care of my miss.
good luck tommy
Tommy, can you sell the above components as a kit to us lesser mortals so we can install them for better performance???

\'02 Corvette (510 RWHP/510 TQ)
Member of 11sec. club &
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 18 Oct 2003, 04:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Steve03GT

Good suggestion. Not being very mechanical myself this seems like a good idea. It even sounds simple enough for me.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 11:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

tthrift,
If you could get this "kit" together I would be down for one. How thick are the cranes? Magnacors maybe? Group buy thing work here? I am sure my brothet would take one for his new GT also.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 19 Oct 2003, 01:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

LAF, The magnecors come in 7.5mm, 8.5mm, and 10mm thicknesses. I have the 10mm wires on mine, but I think that maybe THAT is overkill. I am also using the screamin demon coil, and the same plug setup champion #3032 single platinum plugs. These are 1 heat range colder than stock to discourage detonation. Mine are still gapped @.042. That is the best ignition setup that I have found. Excellent performance and reliability. I know of a few others that are using this ignition combination also and have heard of no complaints yet.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 03:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TurboDanny

Thanks for the input Tommy. I'm going to swap out the plugs and wires this weekend and see what happens.[8D]
Danny
I would try the plugs first. Do it one step at a time. What RPM are you experiencing the stumble?
ptgtcb[8)]
The stumble occurs between 3000 and 5000 RPM. It's most noticeable if I'm cruising down the highway @ 70 in 5th, drop to 4th and punch it. What's really aggravating is the randomness of it. Of course it ALWAYS happens when my wife's with me and then I get the "We spent how much for this almighty Stage1 kit?" look! [xx(]