Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Head Gasket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2003, 04:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Head Gasket

I am giving serious thought to the Stage II kit.
Questions about the stock engine configuration need answers about long term dependability.

The type of headgasket used in N/A engines is a fiber gasket with a steel ring for the cylinder. Newer technology in the area of turbocharging is to go with solid laminated metal gaskets that can handle the heat and pressure (even upgraded standard gaskets blow out).

What type gasket are we blessed with in our stock turbo 2.4?

Problems seem to show up in other engines when the pressures reach the 18-20 lb range, and not as much before. Using boost controllers that don't give the gasket a rest in the rev cycle add to the extra stress.

I am assuming that the extra horsepower from the Stage II kit comes mainly from increased boost. (And along with it added heat).
Old 01 Nov 2003, 04:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This article http://hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0309_srt/

states that the headgasket is "an updated three layer design".

I do know that the earlier Neons had headgasket problems. I don't think we need to worry unless we overheat for some reason.

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 02 Nov 2003, 12:18 am
Cool Cruiser

All Chrysler engines were updated with Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) head gaskets by 1998-2000 model year. On one of the other threads, spent some time talking about how head gaskets work - can't find it right now, but essentially steel makes a much better spring than fiber does and that is what head gaskets are.

You would be right in that Stage II gets some of its power from greater boost, but the rating includes some freed up power from reduced backpressure due to the cat-back exhaust.
Old 02 Nov 2003, 12:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

3bar:

Thanks for the great info.

I always seem to learn something from your posts. With guys like you on this forum, we can all learn what will make our cars go faster.

BTW, 14.48 is MOVIN' [8)]
Old 02 Nov 2003, 09:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

On stock tires no less...
Old 03 Nov 2003, 02:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Iknow when the Dakota R/T guys go with boost or more than a 150HP shot of juice they typically O-Ring the heads to prevent the gaskets frompushing out, but of course the360 is a mucholrder design.

Yeah, the 14.48 is good onstreet tires, I dida 14.81 on street tires and nothingmore after the updated PCM went in.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 04 Nov 2003, 09:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Actually, cutting a groove in the head, the block and using a ring doesn't help if the piece of metal facing the blast furnace is only 1/16 or less thick (old design gaskets). 3BarBoost answered my question. Solid metal in 3 layer laminates IS state of the art and may well hold up for us in Stage II. I feel better already.

I would rather blow a head gasket though, than loose a piston, or the head.
Old 04 Nov 2003, 10:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Found the thread where head gaskets are the subject, among other things (ahem): http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...97&whichpage=3