Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Problem - Stage I

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Transmission Problem - Stage I

OK Folks - Since S1 installation 4 weeks ago, I have had 2 transmission hoses go on me. The first was the small hose going to the front cooler. This went the day I had the Stage 1 installed. The second, yesterday going to work. Don't know exactly which hose went bad, have not been to the dealer yet to see it myself - just what he told me and I know it wasn't the same hose that went earlier. Has anyone had any problems like this. Any guess if this might be related to the Stage 1. I don't think so but wanted you opinions.[xx(]
Well - Just picked up my car and found out that the hose was the same hose that went on me the first time.[xx(][xx(]
Old 26 Nov 2003, 07:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

i wonder if you did the tranny quick learn procedure?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 01:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

i wonder if you did the tranny quick learn procedure?
Yes I did Punch.

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 27 Nov 2003, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

mich_132003,

I reported this phenomenon a while ago. While changing my oil, I noticed that the transmission cooler line on the left side of the radiator (when viewed from the bottom of the car, looking to the front) was coming loose. My theory is the line is very close to the oilpan. When you rev the motor, the engine torques (moves) a bit. The torquing is making the line come loose. Just a theory...

Sounds like a safety item to me....

Scott
Old 27 Nov 2003, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"Sounds like a safety item to me...."

very true!!

Old 28 Nov 2003, 03:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a failure directly related to the install of a part that is not authorized by DC or warranted by DC, you know, that renegade MOPAR division. Per their written warranty statement, you are on you own...rediculous ain't it?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Nov 2003, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

mich_132003,

I reported this phenomenon a while ago. While changing my oil, I noticed that the transmission cooler line on the left side of the radiator (when viewed from the bottom of the car, looking to the front) was coming loose. My theory is the line is very close to the oilpan. When you rev the motor, the engine torques (moves) a bit. The torquing is making the line come loose. Just a theory...

Sounds like a safety item to me....

Scott
Scott - The hose I'm having trouble with is the one going into the cooling radiator in front of the water radiator to the right of the of the car when looking towards the engine. It snakes its way between the battery and the water radiator and attaches to a fitting at the top. It is ripping right below the clamp that holds the hose to the radiator fitting. Dealer said it doesn't look like a pressure problem and that the trans has a pressure release valve and the tran dip stick also acts as a pressure release by lifting up if the tran oil pressure goes above normal.

This doesn't sound like the same hose you reported on. Is it possible the added torque (engine kickback) is ripping the hose? If so, more slack in the hose should help. I'm surprised, if this is related to Stage 1, that others are not having the problem.

Lou

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 28 Nov 2003, 03:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

The computer controls line pressure in an auto trans. There should be a pressure relief valve but if it is malfunctioning or the computer is not getting the right input from sensors or the computer itself has problems you could be running too much pressure. However this will usually result in much harder shifts too, you did not specify this as a symptom

The pressure in the system will not be released by the "dipstick lifting". The only pressure that this will release is internal case pressure which really doesn't happen much (unless for some reason your fluid is really getting aerated, which could indcate an iternal probem). The dipstick is not part of the high pressure system. It WILL NOT relieve excess line pressure. Do not accept this explanation from the dealer. Dealer is just trying to get you to leave them alone. If the computer is for some reason bumping up the line pressure and it shouldn't be, you could be heading for problems with internal seals. You dealer or a good tranny mechanic can measure line pressure and tell you if it is our of spec. Then it is a matter of tracking down the cause.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Dec 2003, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

The computer controls line pressure in an auto trans. There should be a pressure relief valve but if it is malfunctioning or the computer is not getting the right input from sensors or the computer itself has problems you could be running too much pressure. However this will usually result in much harder shifts too, you did not specify this as a symptom

The pressure in the system will not be released by the "dipstick lifting". The only pressure that this will release is internal case pressure which really doesn't happen much (unless for some reason your fluid is really getting aerated, which could indcate an iternal probem). The dipstick is not part of the high pressure system. It WILL NOT relieve excess line pressure. Do not accept this explanation from the dealer. Dealer is just trying to get you to leave them alone. If the computer is for some reason bumping up the line pressure and it shouldn't be, you could be heading for problems with internal seals. You dealer or a good tranny mechanic can measure line pressure and tell you if it is our of spec. Then it is a matter of tracking down the cause.
Thanks Cal - Will take your advice and have the tranny pressure checked. [?]

Old 02 Dec 2003, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had two transmission cooler lines burst about 3,000 miles apart (the first at about 15k and the second at 18k). Thus far, I have not had any other problems and I am at currently at 22k. Please note that I do not have the Stage 1 upgrade. They could not tell my why it happened or what caused the second one to rupture after they inspected them while fixing the first. But my dealership was prompt in fixing the problem.