PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Problem - Stage I

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: King of Prussia, PA, USA.
Posts: 201
Default Transmission Problem - Stage I

OK Folks - Since S1 installation 4 weeks ago, I have had 2 transmission hoses go on me. The first was the small hose going to the front cooler. This went the day I had the Stage 1 installed. The second, yesterday going to work. Don't know exactly which hose went bad, have not been to the dealer yet to see it myself - just what he told me and I know it wasn't the same hose that went earlier. Has anyone had any problems like this. Any guess if this might be related to the Stage 1. I don't think so but wanted you opinions.[xx(]
Well - Just picked up my car and found out that the hose was the same hose that went on me the first time.[xx(][xx(]
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26 Nov 2003, 07:30 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Barrie, Canada.
Posts: 1,171
Default

i wonder if you did the tranny quick learn procedure?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Nov 2003, 01:26 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: King of Prussia, PA, USA.
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

i wonder if you did the tranny quick learn procedure?
Yes I did Punch.
__________________

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Nov 2003, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Posts: 320
Default

mich_132003,

I reported this phenomenon a while ago. While changing my oil, I noticed that the transmission cooler line on the left side of the radiator (when viewed from the bottom of the car, looking to the front) was coming loose. My theory is the line is very close to the oilpan. When you rev the motor, the engine torques (moves) a bit. The torquing is making the line come loose. Just a theory...

Sounds like a safety item to me....

Scott
__________________
\"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.\"
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Nov 2003, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,787
Default

"Sounds like a safety item to me...."

very true!!

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2003, 03:30 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA.
Posts: 1,799
Default

Sounds like a failure directly related to the install of a part that is not authorized by DC or warranted by DC, you know, that renegade MOPAR division. Per their written warranty statement, you are on you own...rediculous ain't it?
__________________
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2003, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: King of Prussia, PA, USA.
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

mich_132003,

I reported this phenomenon a while ago. While changing my oil, I noticed that the transmission cooler line on the left side of the radiator (when viewed from the bottom of the car, looking to the front) was coming loose. My theory is the line is very close to the oilpan. When you rev the motor, the engine torques (moves) a bit. The torquing is making the line come loose. Just a theory...

Sounds like a safety item to me....

Scott
Scott - The hose I'm having trouble with is the one going into the cooling radiator in front of the water radiator to the right of the of the car when looking towards the engine. It snakes its way between the battery and the water radiator and attaches to a fitting at the top. It is ripping right below the clamp that holds the hose to the radiator fitting. Dealer said it doesn't look like a pressure problem and that the trans has a pressure release valve and the tran dip stick also acts as a pressure release by lifting up if the tran oil pressure goes above normal.

This doesn't sound like the same hose you reported on. Is it possible the added torque (engine kickback) is ripping the hose? If so, more slack in the hose should help. I'm surprised, if this is related to Stage 1, that others are not having the problem.

Lou
__________________

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2003, 03:25 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA.
Posts: 1,799
Default

The computer controls line pressure in an auto trans. There should be a pressure relief valve but if it is malfunctioning or the computer is not getting the right input from sensors or the computer itself has problems you could be running too much pressure. However this will usually result in much harder shifts too, you did not specify this as a symptom

The pressure in the system will not be released by the "dipstick lifting". The only pressure that this will release is internal case pressure which really doesn't happen much (unless for some reason your fluid is really getting aerated, which could indcate an iternal probem). The dipstick is not part of the high pressure system. It WILL NOT relieve excess line pressure. Do not accept this explanation from the dealer. Dealer is just trying to get you to leave them alone. If the computer is for some reason bumping up the line pressure and it shouldn't be, you could be heading for problems with internal seals. You dealer or a good tranny mechanic can measure line pressure and tell you if it is our of spec. Then it is a matter of tracking down the cause.
__________________
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2003, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: King of Prussia, PA, USA.
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

The computer controls line pressure in an auto trans. There should be a pressure relief valve but if it is malfunctioning or the computer is not getting the right input from sensors or the computer itself has problems you could be running too much pressure. However this will usually result in much harder shifts too, you did not specify this as a symptom

The pressure in the system will not be released by the "dipstick lifting". The only pressure that this will release is internal case pressure which really doesn't happen much (unless for some reason your fluid is really getting aerated, which could indcate an iternal probem). The dipstick is not part of the high pressure system. It WILL NOT relieve excess line pressure. Do not accept this explanation from the dealer. Dealer is just trying to get you to leave them alone. If the computer is for some reason bumping up the line pressure and it shouldn't be, you could be heading for problems with internal seals. You dealer or a good tranny mechanic can measure line pressure and tell you if it is our of spec. Then it is a matter of tracking down the cause.
Thanks Cal - Will take your advice and have the tranny pressure checked. [?]
__________________

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2003, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Posts: 30
Default

I had two transmission cooler lines burst about 3,000 miles apart (the first at about 15k and the second at 18k). Thus far, I have not had any other problems and I am at currently at 22k. Please note that I do not have the Stage 1 upgrade. They could not tell my why it happened or what caused the second one to rupture after they inspected them while fixing the first. But my dealership was prompt in fixing the problem.
__________________
2003 Inferno Red GT Cruiser - autostick; Spoiler; Chrome fender trim and door spears; PT door lock pulls; \"turbo\" 3rd brakelight; green LED windsheild washer lights and license plate bolts
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stage II for PT is here! skripo General Turbo Discussions 9 12 May 2008 09:11 pm
transmission problem after rear-end accident dalipardon Tech & Performance Forum 12 05 Apr 2007 12:26 pm
Transmission downshift problem Floyd Harris Tech & Performance Forum 5 05 Jul 2006 07:18 am
stage 1 install problem gooberff Stage Turbo Kits 6 29 Jun 2005 12:22 am
"Internal Transmission Problem" ??? yobiebs General Turbo Discussions 18 21 Oct 2003 11:17 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors