PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crane Cams and Stage Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2003, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sabishop
Default Crane Cams and Stage Kits

Has anybody tried the Crane Cams Turbo cams with any of the Stage Kits (1 or 2)? Is there any information out about the cams interraction with the new PCM's?[:I]
Old 11 Dec 2003, 03:25 am
Senior Cruiser

good question, didn't even know these were out....
Old 11 Dec 2003, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

My friend Gary on the SRT forums did a cam install using the 1st gen neon cam upgrade. From what I hear its badass. Had to twerk a few things but later when I have more time Ill try finding the thread over there

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am not sure how much cam is needed to make more hp in our turbo motors BUT dont even talk about warranty when you play with cams guys!! Cams usually mean springs too!! From my Mustang days if you put enough cam in your car your idle will be effected!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cams are fun, but from a $/hp point of view they're losers in a turbo car. And idle is a big headache. Usually they are more expensive than a bigger turbo (counting the install time).
Old 11 Dec 2003, 11:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 3BarBoost

Cams are fun, but from a $/hp point of view they're losers in a turbo car. And idle is a big headache. Usually they are more expensive than a bigger turbo (counting the install time).
Agreed. The SRT cam install eventually took 9 hours (this was a first time ever thing tho, so there were some trial and error things).

I would even try to do it on the PT w/o dropping the engine!

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Ptturbine

I would have to agree with 3Bar on this one....Cams aren't AS important with a blown engine...as with a N/A one.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 02:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sabishop

This thread is really interesting. Having changed cams in my Chrysler big blocks many times I can assure you that cams make as much difference as anything else you can do.

You guys don't really think that the car has the same cam as the regularly aspirated engine do you? If it did it would be a tremendus suprise, and complete dissapointment to me.

After all, an engine is just an air pump spurred on with fuel. When you make the pump more efficient, you make more HP regardless of whether it's naturally aspirated or not. Setting up a dual cam engine is no walk in the park, heck, it was hard enough with a single cam motor but the results were always spectacular once the job was done.

Of course idle is affected. When you change lift, duration, timing and overlap things are going to be a lot different. The change in driveability comes with just how radical a cam profile you use. I had a dual profile in my 69 Road Runner that was way too big and the darn thing wouldn't idle below 1650. But, when you hit the go button you really had to hang on. And really, isn't that what some of us are looking for?

I hope sakigt can find the SRT thread. It would be really interesting to see what's up. Anybody have a "friend" at crane for some other insight? How about at Chrysler?
Old 12 Dec 2003, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cams can be helpful, but with the 2.4 rev-limited so low, it kinda defeats the purpose. If you were opening up the powerband to 7K or 7500, I imagine those cams would make a much more noticeable difference. I know lots of people who have done it on their DSMs and they love it.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 11:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

I wasn't implying that cams aren't a source of power. However, we did look at a zillion different cams and found the cams used in the base naturally-aspirated engine worked as well overall as anything else we tried. So that is what went into production. If we were interested in ultimate power, cams would be on the list - just like porting the head, oversize valves, new rods and pistons, etc.

However, if you were interested in uprating your engine - it would be the fourth or fifth major thing to do, not the first. First would be more fuel capacity (pump & injectors), second would be a big turbo, third would be an uprated intercooler, fourth would be lower (or higher) compression pistons (depending on use of race gas) and stronger rods, then I would consider big lift and duration cams with associated lighter springs, retainers and valves. And no, I didn't list exhaust - because if you don't do that you're a poser.

At least that is the way I would do it (and effectively what Mopar is doing).