Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Solid Head bolts for the GT Turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2003, 01:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Solid Head bolts for the GT Turbo?

Does anyone know where I can find solid head bolts to fit my GT Turbo? I was told that the head floats at 16 lbs or above and the solution would be to install solid head bolts?
Old 13 Dec 2003, 04:55 am
Young Cruiser

Try ARP. They make hardware for most racing applications.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/
Old 13 Dec 2003, 09:59 am
Cool Cruiser

You might direct your question to 3BarBoost

I spike at 15 lbs. now with S1 and I'm guessing S2 will be pushing us to 16 lbs. with a spike a little higher than that. There is no indication from Mopar that you'll need to change the headbolts for S2 or S3.

Deen

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Uprated head bolts aren't worth it until you start running crazy boost (40 + psi). For that you will need a monster turbo, and I don't mean monster like the Stage 3 is a monster - I mean a HUGE steal-your-lunch-money turbo.

With a little turbo like the 16GK (the stock PT turbo), you can only hit 26 psi at around 3,000 rpm - above that there isn't enough power from the turbine to spin the compressor. You'll be lucky to get 18 psi at redline, S2 isn't even going that high. Beyond that, torque at that boost level will start stressing other things like trans and half-shafts.

Finally, sakigt is right - there is no fuel to run that kind of boost either. You'll just lean out, knock like crazy and hole a piston.

Old 13 Dec 2003, 06:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks everybody!! I was told that if i set the boost on my boost controler at 16 or above the heads would float and I'd blow a head gasket. That's why I was looking for the solid head bolts.[:I]
Va. Director - PT Owners Club
703-597-5354
2003 Electric Pearl Blue Flamed GT Turbo
Stage 1 equipped
Old 22 Dec 2003, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have never heard of heads floating vlaves floating but not heads! What does that mean heads floating?? Is that like blowing openeings in the head gasket??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 03:32 pm
Young Cruiser

If the pressure in the cylinder (boost x compression ratio) generates more force than the clamping force exerted by the head bolts the head will move. With typical aluminum head iron block engines the head bolts are torqued until the yeild (have been stretched beyond there elastic limit) to get an even clamping force. If you exceed the clamping force of the bolts they will stretch but will not recover, now your head is loose and in short order the head gasket will be blown.
Old 26 Dec 2003, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"I mean a HUGE steal-your-lunch-money turbo."