PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Stage 1 upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2012, 11:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Smile PT Cruiser Stage 1 upgrade

Hi, my name is Nick, im from Chicago and i now own a 2005 PT GT HO. i used to have an 2001 non turbo pt but decided to upgrade. I would like to do the stage 1 upgrade to mine but havea few questions. Would i need to upgrade any internals? What abt spark plugs? Would u recommend a Boost controller with boost guages as well? please help
Old 10 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Stage 1 upgrade

Welcome You just need to get a Stage 1 PCM and put it in and you'll get about 230hp at the wheels form about 190hp you have now. Also you should get a K&N drop in filter and do the air filter mod and get some hard pipes for instant boost. Maybe you can switch to the plastic intake manifold form the 06 and up models, for some extra HP. ..those are some basic mods you can do to start...btw, where are you from?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 01:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: PT Cruiser Stage 1 upgrade

Ok thanks a lot I'm from Chicago by the way. How much would this stage 1 PCM cost? And I Dnt need to upgrade anything internally like pistons or rods? And I have a spectre cone air filter on mine it's just connected to the stock air intake pipe tho. Also would u recommend a boost controller with boost gauges?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
Ok thanks a lot I'm from Chicago by the way. How much would this stage 1 PCM cost? And I Dnt need to upgrade anything internally like pistons or rods? And I have a spectre cone air filter on mine it's just connected to the stock air intake pipe tho. Also would u recommend a boost controller with boost gauges?
The modified stock air filter box is the best way to go. Just need to be a turbo. Different setup for an automatic though. XTrmDC2 can explain all that.
Welcome from West Virginia!

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Mar 2012 at 03:37 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 05:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
How much would this stage 1 PCM cost? And I Dnt need to upgrade anything internally like pistons or rods? And I have a spectre cone air filter on mine it's just connected to the stock air intake pipe tho. Also would u recommend a boost controller with boost gauges?
Call Cindy ( cindy@fwdperformance.com ) and check current prices and stock

As for upgrades on engine, No as these engines have been proven to handle up to 500HP many times as is. Auto transmissions however have been proven not to handle even 250HP stock, manuals are fine if clutch/pressure plate is upgraded though.

Pull out your factory airbox and reinstall after opening it up and inside the airbox to throttle body pipe, remove the plastic silencer inside it. You want a good flow.

Next step get a programmer from Diablo and load the 93 octane tune. Beyond this you will need some gauges (boost, wideband, etc.. to monitor the tune as you can blow the motor by running to lean) but with a programmer you can up the boost as much as you want. 18-19lbs is as much as our little turbo can do and still be productive. They can do as much as 25lbs. but your loosing power as the car pulls timing and egt's are crazy so the car dumps fuel to cool it back down.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 10 Mar 2012, 09:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok thanks so much guys, I appreciate the advice. i was setting money aside for upgraded internals but i guess i dnt have to worry abt it now. Do u think the trans will hold up? Is there anything I can do with the trans? I can't wait to get this done. I swear I feel like the only person holding it down for pt turbo owners out here in chicago. I love my purple 05 pt gt HO. Also one more thing lol I want to do a 3 in straight pipe exhaust and a 3in o2 housing but was wondering would it be better to do dual side exit exhausts, do dual rear exit exhausts or just keep the single pipe?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 09:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

A single 3" exhaust is a lot better, IMO...and make sure you don't boost on fourth gear and save that internals money for a new tranny
Old 10 Mar 2012, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok thanks and not to sound like a noob lol but how do u not boost on forth gear? And what tranny would u recommend?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Warning: 3" straight pipe is going to get old real quick. I ran that setup for a bit and got tired of my ears ringing. Have a 3" glass pack added and its decent at low speed but still will get loud if i hammer it. Mine is a full 3" from turbo out though.

The best way since you have an autostick is to manually change the gears by bumping the stick. If your on the road and need to get around a car or hit some boost down shift to 3rd. This is also where a boost gauge helps, you can see when your boosting.

Theres no real upgrade for the transmission other than making them a little stronger and hoping. There was a guy up north making the strongest 41te trannys but he has moved on to bigger/better stuff (hemi's best i remember) so the next best thing is IPT Chrysler | Dodge | FWD | High Performance Automatic Transmissions Its one of those things where you wished you knew then what you know now

I never thoughr i would lean to the performance end but boost is very addictive. Now im way over what my tranny can hold if i hammer it daily and allready have a different turbo/manifold setup just waiting to be installed. Im getting another auto (probably from above link) OR converting to a manual if i can source the parts cheap enough.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks a lot bro, I Rlly appreciate the advice I will definitely keep all this in mind. Hopefully the trans will hold up. And I love messing with cars I went to an automotive trade school and learned how to do body and paint work along with picking up a few mechanical skills. So when I got my pt I knew I wanted to make it unique and push more power out of it. I'm also in the process of upgrading the audio system.