PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Failed Stg. 1 PCM..maybe

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2014, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Failed Stg. 1 PCM..maybe

Have 04 GT Auto trans. Stage 1 for 9 years. Got engine light on, no speedometer, power down, limp in trans. p0700 code only. Reset. No light, No codes, Trans ok, speedo still out. Changed both trans speed sensors, no change. Can I put original PCM back in for testing? Dealer wants to re flash. Will wipe stage 1 programming. Any suggestions?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Failed Stg. 1 PCM..maybe

Update. Yes..you can install original PCM with no problems. Odometer shows correct mileage. Now I have to find where to fix my Stage 1 PCM. I miss the extra zip.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

LOL Yes. For others the STAGE 1 PCM is self contained and only operates the PT Cruisers systems. Changing to another PCM allows for that PCM to operate with its set programming.

IMHO it will most likely be cheaper to just get another STAGE 1 from FWD Performance rather then trying to find someone to repair yours. It is doubtful you will get any warranty coverage and a lot of downtime if something does not go correctly.

Maybe you should consider a Diablosport tuning tool? Technically speaking it is better than a STAGE 1 with only one exception if you have an automatic and need the extra shifting changes for competition driving?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Sep 2014, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0700 Chrysler - Transaxle Control System Malfunction

Possible causes

1. Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
2. Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)

P0700 is just a general code, check the TCM for more codes to resolve the problem.

Possible symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Driveability problems
- Transmission shifting problems

The transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. When the TCM detects a malfunction with the control, a signal is send to the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the Engine Light or Service Engine Soon light. The ECM stores the P0700 code and it means the TCM detected a malfunction with the transaxle controls.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj450 View Post
Have 04 GT Auto trans. Stage 1 for 9 years. Got engine light on, no speedometer, power down, limp in trans. p0700 code only. Reset. No light, No codes, Trans ok, speedo still out. Changed both trans speed sensors, no change. Can I put original PCM back in for testing? Dealer wants to re flash. Will wipe stage 1 programming. Any suggestions?
How long ago was the PCM replaced before the P0700 trouble code came on?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The question that should be asked first are transmission service intervals?

DTCs having to do with the automatic transmission are not easily corrected from anyone except those that have transmission experience. You can do more harm than good.

Very few DIY people have a way to read and clear Transmission codes in the first place.

The last thing is possibly incomplete DTC information? A P700 is a fault DTC and generic in nature that is none specific much like a P300.

What were all the other PCM DTCs?

IMHO this PT should be diagnosed in a shop that has experience with Chrysler computer controlled Transmissions and TCM code diagnostic access.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Sep 2014, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
How long ago was the PCM replaced before the P0700 trouble code came on?
The reason I asked this question was I have read that some have replaced the PCM and the only way they could get the speedometer to work was to reprogram the new PCM after replacing both speed sensors.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The reason I asked this question was I have read that some have replaced the PCM and the only way they could get the speedometer to work was to reprogram the new PCM after replacing both speed sensors.
Hmm not sure what was stated about that because it does not work that way? The speed sensors are only giving information received by the PCM but if the PCM is not able to interpret that information than it does nothing to just replace the sensors. And if only replacing speed-sensors that information from them to the PCM does not change.

This is why a #VIN is needed when replacing a PCM to adjust or flash the PCM for the input received by the sensors.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Sep 2014 at 12:00 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hmm not sure what was stated about that because it does not work that way? The speed sensors are only giving information received by the PCM but if the PCM is not able to interpret that information than it does nothing to just replace the sensors. And if only replacing speed-sensors that information from them to the PCM does not change.

This is why a #VIN is needed when replacing a PCM to adjust or flash the PCM for the input received by the sensors.
You are absolutely right! I met to say that if the vin# and all required information is not programmed into the PCM I believe it won't communicate with the speed sensors.
So the question is whether all information needed for the PCM was programmed into the new PCM.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Sep 2014 at 01:50 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
You are absolutely right! I met to say that if the vin# and all required information is not programmed into the PCM I believe it won't communicate with the speed sensors.
So the question is whether all information needed for the PCM was programmed into the new PCM.
That's ok I see that I was not clear on my first response.

The PT Cruiser PCM is a self contained program. In other words there is NO RAM device that holds any PCM information once the PCM is removed. You can change many cells or what is call "tune" them but still those changes remain only in the PCM not the PT when the PCM is removed and replaced with any other PCM. I hope that makes sense?

Please note that I am referring to the first generation PT Cruisers only and not the CANbus or any other platform. ALL computer controlled vehicles have different computer based systems so information may vary.

My brain thinks ahead of my pecking words on a forum most of the time. And more so when I have had coffee!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Sep 2014 at 02:11 pm.