• 4 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By myckee
  • 3 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2016, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Diablosport hand held or skyed hand held tuner

Hi,

I am trying to decided between these two hand helds. I have read a lot on here about the diablsosport hand held tuner but haven't heard much about the skied. Price point is about the same I found the intune fore 319 and the skyed is 349.99. Any experience or tips would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Old 29 Apr 2016, 06:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Diablosport hand held or skyed hand held tuner

Well it depends on your goals. Do you want to just load up a premade tune to give your car a little boost in performance? Or, are you looking to totally customise your tune?

The DS can install 2 or 3 'canned' (premade) tunes (similar to the Mopar Stage 1 tune) and allow a few changes like rev limits or when the cooling fan turns on or off etc. Further customisations are possible with the DS too, but you will need to pay a third party with a CMR program to allow you to customise the tune outside of the canned tunes.

The Syked tuner will allow you to install the Mopar Stage 1 tune (in 04-05 cars), but it also gives you full access to the fuel map as well as other areas to let you tune yourself without the need to contact a third party CMR guy and pay for customisations. However you shouldn't attempt this unless you know what you are doing as you could seriously damage your engine with incorrect settings.

So, if you want to give your car a boost and other small things, then the DS would be fine. If you think you will be doing engine upgrades or turbo upgrades, and know how to tune the car properly, then perhaps the Syked would be better.

That said, I don't know of anyone on the forum that has tried the syked tuner yet since it is still very new.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^prety much what MYKEE said^^^

IMO... All said and done the better investment overall is the DioblowSport. This is based on my using the products for a few years now and accustom to what can be done with them.

Many Performance Calibrators offering computer calibration service can access the PCM via the Diablowsport. A CMR is not proprietary as it us to be so I know there are few that do not need the CMR program to open up the cell in the PCM for calibration adjustments and full custom mapping. But a CMR is Diablosport supported so in the event of a problem and the supported DS unit becomes faulty the CMR often can get DS to repair or exchange the unit at no charge. I would also recommend the DiabloSport Trinity if you plane on serious diagnostic work and data acquisition and self unit logging.

Skyed hand held works very well...and the Beta tester user(s) reported a positive experience with it.
However currently it is on very limited availability because the market is not excited yet about the product. It may take another year or so?

This is something prospective SkyedTuned customers should talk to Keven the owner direct about.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,

I have talked a little back and forth with Kevin. Really nice guy and I got some good info I think. He said he would throw in the tune DS uses with his handheld at no cost for me but to get the skied software it would cost another 150 dollars. At 349.99 that's still cheaper then the Intune from ds but at 499.99 it isn't but it is comparable to the trinity I believe. Im not to knowledgeable in the tuning side of things yet and don't know how much custom stuff I would be using. I think I am more of a plug and play guy right now. with that being said I am still shooting around ideas. I might just pull the pcm and send it to Kevin for the 199.99 but don't want to be with out my car for a week
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do you live near to or have access to a junkyard where you could buy a spare ecu? If so, you could always buy one and send it to Kevin for re-programming and not be without your car for an extended period of time. You would also retain your original to be able to return the car to stock for any reason or for resale later. That's what I did and sent the junkyard part to Kevin for programming.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Do you live near to or have access to a junkyard where you could buy a spare ecu? If so, you could always buy one and send it to Kevin for re-programming and not be without your car for an extended period of time. You would also retain your original to be able to return the car to stock for any reason or for resale later. That's what I did and sent the junkyard part to Kevin for programming.
I do have a junk yard close by. Does it need to be a gt model ecu or can he flash any pt cruiser ecu?
Old 29 Jul 2016, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Some 04 and most 05 ECUs can be used from either a PT cruiser or a Neon. But definitely give Kevin a call with the hardware part number (the one on the front of the ecu below the connectors) and he can tell you if it can be used or not. If you want to avoid the call to verify step, just find one in any 04-05 turbo PT or srt4. Avoid the 03s as none of them are compatible with the Stage 1 programming, whether from a turbo car or not.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Some 04 and most 05 ECUs can be used from either a PT cruiser or a Neon. But definitely give Kevin a call with the hardware part number (the one on the front of the ecu below the connectors) and he can tell you if it can be used or not. If you want to avoid the call to verify step, just find one in any 04-05 turbo PT or srt4. Avoid the 03s as none of them are compatible with the Stage 1 programming, whether from a turbo car or not.
Awesome thanks for the info. Kevin has been very helpful with questions I had in the past. I will be in touch with him and probably end up going that route.

Thanks!