PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 still available?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2016, 09:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Stage 1 still available?

Hey guys... I may have a bad PCM (coding a bad idle control motor, but dealer diagnosed pcm) I'm gonna replace the idle control motor anyway, but planning on a new pcm as a long term solution. Have been considering the stage 1 before the issue, so now I'm trying to find what's out there... The info I've followed on here looks dated as far as availability... Are they still out there? Thanks.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 May 2016, 09:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stage 1 still available?

For the best information contact these :

Syked Ecu Tuning | Dodge Tuning Software

https://www.modernperformance.com/

https://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 13 May 2016, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Hey guys... I may have a bad PCM (coding a bad idle control motor, but dealer diagnosed pcm) I'm gonna replace the idle control motor anyway, but planning on a new pcm as a long term solution. Have been considering the stage 1 before the issue, so now I'm trying to find what's out there... The info I've followed on here looks dated as far as availability... Are they still out there? Thanks.
What the companies listed above will do is take a used or "refurbished" OEM PCM and then flash it with Stage 1 programming. I personally bought mine from FWD Performance because they use a vendor that has permission from Mopar to do this and to apply the Mopar label. And I got my original Mopar Stage 1 badge from Modern Performance.

Here's a link to the write up on the Stage 1 PCM I got from my 2005 GT. Just ignore the comments in that thread by unruly members:

The Handy Mopar Stage 1 Install

In my opinion, the advantage to the Stage 1 is that it was originally an add-on. Many car buyers stay away from aftermarket modifications. But many of them like OEM extras. And since the Stage 1 is viewed as an OEM extra, it seems to create interest and adds value to the car. I had no trouble selling my GT for a lot more than I paid for it.

That said, if you just want performance and resale value isn't an issue, then there are other options. Some members have reported that the Sykes performance PCM is superior to one with a Stage 1 flash. (Sykes sells both) and there are also handheld tuners that come with canned tunes similar to the Stage 1 but also allow custom tuning. I've used a DiabloSport Trinity on my GT with the included 93 octane tune and it was about the same as my Stage 1 PCM. And Sykes sells a shop-programed tuner with PC software that has more functionality than the Diablosport.

Also, I recently discovered that the older Diablosport Predator tuners are a great deal right now if you can find a used one online that's not married. The one for the PT GT is the U7134. I grabbed one like this for my Charger R/T Daytona for around $100. And it contained the same tunes as my $500 Trinity. But only for the one type or body style of car. The Predator is more car-specific than the Trinity. Plus the older Predator may have added functionality to modify emission controls that the new tuners do not have. Here's a link where I use a Predator on my Charger. The process would be the same on a PT GT:

My Charger Project

Also, there are professional tuning guys out there that can do custom direct tunes for your PCM. And almost as good, there are guys that you can email a tune from your Diablorsport tuner along with the data log. They will modify the tune, email it back to you and then you can load it on your PT. Sykes can do this with a Diablosport tune and with the Sykes tuner as well.

I hope that's a good summary of the subject to get you stated. A members that's used just about all things mentioned here is Myckee. He could likely give you good specifics on each choice.
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 May 2016 at 08:20 am.
Old 13 May 2016, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

So how do we correct when members that make inaccurate or wrong response information anymore without getting it deleted???

GtPt05 PM me I guess?

I also called Keven to see if he can chime in here!
Old 13 May 2016, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
So how do we correct when members that make inaccurate or wrong response information anymore without getting it deleted???

GtPt05 PM me I guess?

I also called Keven to see if he can chime in here!

The way to do this Lynn is to say something like, "Hey, Handy. You said that ______ was ______, but in my experience, it's actually been ________."

If which case, I could then respond with something like, "Thanks, Nitro. I didn't know that." Or I might say, "Hey Nitro, that's not the way it works and here's why."

At that point, we could discuss the subject like two adults and maybe everyone could learn something. And no ones gets put down and no one gets angry. This is the way most adult do it in both their professional and personal lives. And we could too. Just imagine the possibilities.
red06limited likes this.
Old 13 May 2016, 09:22 am
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate the feedback, one of my biggest problems here is the fact that the dealer is saying the pcm is bad. I don't want to assume it's a software issue and get mine flashed when it could be a hardware issue with the pcm, so I should probably replace the unit, and figured if I was doing that anyway, maybe I can get a pcm that is programmed, rather than sending mine out.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 May 2016, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
I appreciate the feedback, one of my biggest problems here is the fact that the dealer is saying the pcm is bad. I don't want to assume it's a software issue and get mine flashed when it could be a hardware issue with the pcm, so I should probably replace the unit, and figured if I was doing that anyway, maybe I can get a pcm that is programmed, rather than sending mine out.
There are several ways to tackle this problem.

When I got my Stage 1 PCM from FWD Performance, they provided the donor OEM PCM. To be exact, there was an anti-tamper sticker on it with the name of the folks they got it from. It was an eBay seller.

So you might call FWD Performance and see if they can do the same deal for you. They are slow, but my PCM from them worked without a hitch.

Another solution is just to get another PCM for your GT and then have it flashed later. You can often find used ones on eBay. The only issue is that it will need your VIN flashed into it to work with the SKIM anti-theft system. Some of the sellers that are in this business can do that. But if you buy one from someone that cannot, Sykes or another similar company can flash it for you.

Also, you can just grab a used PCM at a salvage yard from just about any 2004/2005 PT Cruiser or Dodge Neon and then have it flashed to a Stage 1 for your GT. Kevin at Sykes can likely tell you how to identify a PCM that is the right hardware version. And so can forum member Myckee. I think Myckee has done this several times.
myckee likes this.
Old 13 May 2016, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^

GTPT05...Got your PM and left my number to call me.

Read this:

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
Old 23 Jun 2016, 08:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There are several ways to tackle this problem.

When I got my Stage 1 PCM from FWD Performance, they provided the donor OEM PCM. To be exact, there was an anti-tamper sticker on it with the name of the folks they got it from. It was an eBay seller.

So you might call FWD Performance and see if they can do the same deal for you. They are slow, but my PCM from them worked without a hitch.

Another solution is just to get another PCM for your GT and then have it flashed later. You can often find used ones on eBay. The only issue is that it will need your VIN flashed into it to work with the SKIM anti-theft system. Some of the sellers that are in this business can do that. But if you buy one from someone that cannot, Sykes or another similar company can flash it for you.

Also, you can just grab a used PCM at a salvage yard from just about any 2004/2005 PT Cruiser or Dodge Neon and then have it flashed to a Stage 1 for your GT. Kevin at Sykes can likely tell you how to identify a PCM that is the right hardware version. And so can forum member Myckee. I think Myckee has done this several times.
Yup, they are still available from FWD and Syked. FWD sometimes, maybe even always, buys their cores on ebay. I know because I have sold several to them that way.

I think getting a S1 is a good idea to replace your old ecu, especially if you were interested in buying one before. Of course you could save a bit by buying a replacement GT ecu on ebay or other place and simply flashing the vin to your car, but of course your car's performance would remain unmodified that way.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

last activity on thread..13 May 2016, 10:33 am

^^^

took you a long time to answer???

FWIW we are finding electronic environmental wear problems with junk yard PCM's that are starting to become more evident.