Advertisements
stage 1 install problems

Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2016, 11:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default stage 1 install problems

I have a 2003 dream and I bought a Mopar stage 1 ecm used quite awhile back and finally got around to installing it with rebuilt correct injectors. I also did the valve cover gasket while I had it apart. I did send it to Syked to have the vin flashed but that was it. After I got it installed it just doesn't feel all that much different and it doesn't like to start after it warms up. It cranks and barely starts and seems to idle kind of low. The injectors paper work said that they flowed around 470cc @43.5psi does that sound correct? They also said they had issues with 2 injectors leaking but corrected that. I'm wondering if this ecm at some point got flashed back to stock. It does kick out the code that most stage 1 do. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: stage 1 install problems

The 2003 PT GT had the 527cc injectors (usually pink) and 2004 and up GT (and turbo lite) and the 2003 Stage 1 kit have 577cc injectors that are black with blue o-rings.

As long as you have the 577 cc injectors, you can run the 2003 Stage 1 PCM. What is the part number on your injectors?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jun 2016 at 11:57 am.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm
Young Cruiser

They are the black and blue injectors I got from somebody on here. part# 04891574ab. Thats what on the paper work. I knew the injectors where suppose to flow 577cc but @ what psi???
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I suggest to re-install your original injectors. Than after you know the engine will start and run as it did before you can make a mild 3/4 throttle test run. If after which all seems well you can install the larger injectors and do another test run.

Data logging information as well comparing the *calibration information of factory STAGE 1 PCMs has shown that the larger factory injectors was a to insure adequate fuel supply with out increasing the pulse width or duty cycle in the PCM calibration under a sustained long duration WOT run.

*http://sykedecutuning.com/store/index.php
SPLNeon likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Jun 2016 at 12:07 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmadog View Post
They are the black and blue injectors I got from somebody on here. part# 04891574ab. Thats what on the paper work. I knew the injectors where suppose to flow 577cc but @ what psi???
That's the right part number and it should be stamped on the side of each injector. Here's a photo of what the stamp should look like:

As the other poster suggested, you might try reinstalling the original injectors and then see how she runs. If it runs better, then you likely may have an issue with one or more of the 577cc injectors. But ultimately, you will want a good set of them. If you have the same issue, reinstall the original PCM and see what happens. I'm sure Sykes will stand behind his PCM work. And I believe 40 psi is what the injectors are rated at. Plus, what code are you throwing? And no, the Stage 1 should not be throwing any codes at all if setup right.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jun 2016 at 12:21 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm getting the 0633 that I guess some people get. I tried to save a buck when I should have bought new injectors.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh. Okay. My Dodge Charger Daytona also shows that code when read with a reader. Somehow, the aftermarket PCM doesn't mesh as well with the SKIM and never goes out of "SKIM learn mode". A Chrysler dealership can fix this, so they say. But it's of no issue and doesn't throw a trouble light. I guess that's also a thing for 2003 Stage 1 PCM's. My 2005 Stage 1 didn't have that issue and I don't think I've seen a report of it for a 2004 either.

A lot of folks report using salvage turbo injectors with no issue. Of course, new is often better. But I'd try to rule out as much other stuff as I could before I reach into my pocket for new injectors.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jun 2016 at 12:42 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
And no, the Stage 1 should not be throwing any codes at all if setup right.
This is not accurate Todd!

Many times the installation of a different PCM/ECU etc, and especially a Performance calibrated ECU that was removed for the calibration changes may generate a single or many DTCs. NOT UNCOMMON and easy to simply log, clear and re-start the engine and let it cycle through to make sure they do not return!!

I understand that many have not been through and seminars or training classes on EFI/ECU Performance calibration and would not generally know this type of information.

Also the use in any case of larger injection should be a careful thought out and using known *formulas for best sizing. Other wise you can actually not only create more ECU calibration work but may lose simple reliable drivabilty of the vehicle.

The most common mistake many do world wide DIY is over size the injectors on their engines. Why because "RACE"!

In the last couple of decades many injector and performance shops would often suggest larger injectors to gain a retail selling edge over the competition. Somehow this bad advertising leads to many believing that you must install the larger injectors to gain power! Then it become an internet wisdom funky fact that in reality has no empirical data to support the claims.

*https://www.rceng.com/

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Jun 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This is not accurate Todd!

Many times the installation of a different PCM/ECU etc, and especially a Performance calibrated ECU that was removed for the calibration changes. may generate a single or many DTCs. NOT UNCOMMON and easy to simply log clear and re start the engine and let it cycle through to make sure they do not return!!

I understand that many have not been through and seminars or training classes on EFI/ECU Performance calibration and would not generally know this type of information.
That's not accurate Lynn!

On some Chrysler platforms, this denotes a different situation that DOES NOT go away. But the Dealership has a procedure that will clear it by performing a PCM SKIM handshake using the key code from the SKIM. Flashing the VIN to the PCM alone does not necessarily solve this on those platforms. I can get you a copy of that service builtin if you want to lean something not covered in your seminar.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jun 2016 at 12:56 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 12:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Sounds like I need to put it all back to stock. LOL!!! I needed to do the valve cover so I thought it would be a good time to do the stage 1. Been looking at the Chargers lately. There an 08 ex cop car with 55k for like 8900. 370hp rear wheel drive but I would have to learn to drive an automatic............
Closed Thread