Advertisements
Stage 1 and DSP Trinity

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2016, 03:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Stage 1 and DSP Trinity

I have a couple questions...

1.Would the stage 1 work better with the original turbo then the upgraded one?

2. Would a DSP with the regular 93 tune make a difference in conjunction with the stage 1 with the BWS?

Thanks in advance for any input

The original post was confusing some people; so I simplified it.

The Original post is quoted in Nitros post below if you want to read it

Last edited by muzicmax; 14 Aug 2016 at 11:45 am. Reason: Simplified :)
Old 12 Aug 2016, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stage 1 and DSP Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicmax View Post
I have a couple questions...I am selling my 2003 GT Auto (pretty much sold)
I have a Stage 1 already installed with the injectors, plastic manifold , 3" Catless Downpipe, Air box Mod. Also have a BWS that AGP had for sale a couple years ago. I had the motor replaced about a year ago with 72,000km on it. Over all in runs great!
However I found that the stage 1 doesn't seem to work as well with the BWS as it did with the regular oem turbo. I don't know what the boost is because frankly I can't afford a boost gauge right now and don't know anyone that does.. I used to have a DSP Trinity before I upgraded everything; but I needed the money for the used motor I had to buy so I sold it and I'm still broke. That's why I'm selling my GT.
But I think I find that the stage 1 doesn't feel as peppy with the new turbo. Mabey it's just me because I had the car parked for 2 years before I could get the other motor in.

I am selling the car now and have a buyer already and he owns a 2004 GT and said his seems to pull a little better then mine. His is just stock.
He had a couple questions so I said to come here and join the forums but he isn't computer literate at all; so I said would find out for him.

Ok here are the questions lol

1.Would the stage 1 work better with the original turbo then the upgraded one? He said he came across a good used oem turbo for free and someone to install it for free but doesn't want to waste his time unless it's worth it.
Not necessarily

2.Also would a DSP with the regular 93 tune make a difference if he used in conjunction with the stage 1 with the BWS? (he has the money to buy one)
The DSP would be a separate calibration file negating the STAGE 1 programming.

Kevin from skype was going to write me a tune awhile ago but I didn't have the Trinity to get all the info he needed and now I am selling it so I don't need it.

It sucks I have to sell it; like right now! but money is a issue and more important right now. Besides I own another N/A pt

Thanks in advance for any imput. I have to split for a bit so I will check back here when I get home
I would make sure that you upload your back up file in the DSP and un-marry the unit from your PT Cruiser PCM before you sell the DSP.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 04:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like he already sold the DSP, if I'm reading it correctly...
Old 13 Aug 2016, 01:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Sounds like he already sold the DSP, if I'm reading it correctly...
Yeah long time ago.... oem pcm is back to normal. I never used the diablo with the stage 1 when I had it in the old motor.

I forgot to mention that the stage 1 was taken out for 2 years while the car sat there. Would I have had to do the tranny learn again when I put it back with the new motor? Cause I didn't.
thanks again
Old 13 Aug 2016, 09:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah long time ago.... oem pcm is back to normal. I never used the diablo with the stage 1 when I had it in the old motor.

I forgot to mention that the stage 1 was taken out for 2 years while the car sat there. Would I have had to do the tranny learn again when I put it back with the new motor? Cause I didn't.
thanks again
I'm gonna chime in here because I want someone who knows to tell me if I'm right or not (getting ready to buy the trinity myself, so I've been researching... by no means should this be considered correct info) I believe in order for it to be "back to normal" you would have originally had to save a backup of your original "tune" that was on your PCM, and then load that tune back on to the PCM after having a DSP tune in it. The way you are describing, it sounds like the last DSP tune you uploaded or adjusted would still be there... No?
Old 13 Aug 2016, 09:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Or maybe you are saying that you never used the DSP with this PCM? I might have misunderstood that...
Old 13 Aug 2016, 09:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Uhhh......please read the first post again..

Quote:
2.Also would a DSP with the regular 93 tune make a difference if he used in conjunction with the stage 1 with the BWS? (he has the money to buy one)
Old 13 Aug 2016, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Uhhh......please read the first post again..

Uhh... well, since you're going to be sarcastic... The first post is an incoherent mess, which is why people are having trouble answering you. If the DSP was never connected to this PCM, then why did you mention it? There are some pretty knowledgeable people here, you may want to change your attitude if you're looking for help. Since I obviously couldn't determine what you were trying to say (and was trying to clarify so someone could help you) you could have simply answered my question.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Uhh... well, since you're going to be sarcastic... The first post is an incoherent mess, which is why people are having trouble answering you. If the DSP was never connected to this PCM, then why did you mention it? There are some pretty knowledgeable people here, you may want to change your attitude if you're looking for help. Since I obviously couldn't determine what you were trying to say (and was trying to clarify so someone could help you) you could have simply answered my question.
Sorry wasn't trying to be a smarty
I fixed my first post, so there is no confusion for those that didn't understand

Last edited by muzicmax; 14 Aug 2016 at 11:47 am.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have a couple questions...

1.Would the stage 1 work better with the original turbo then the upgraded one?

2. Would a DSP with the regular 93 tune make a difference in conjunction with the stage 1 with the BWS?

Thanks in advance for any input

The original post was confusing some people; so I simplified it.

The Original post is quoted in Nitros post below if you want to read it

I ran a Mopar Stage 1 PCM in my 2005 GT. I also have a DS Trinity. I've found no noticeable performance gain by using the DS 93 Octane tune over the Stage 1. Street performance seemed the same. This is just my seat-of-the-pants experience.

In the past, some made the erroneous conclusion that a PT owner would need a Stage 1 PCM to go along with a DS tune because the canned DS tunes do not impact transmission performance and the Stage 1 is supposed to. However, most folks with the Stage 1 have reported no change in shifting with the Stage 1 and it's now believed that the Stage 1 PCM does very little to modify transmission performance. Thus, the current consensus is that adding the Stage 1 with the DS tune adds little or no substantial benefit. However, to my knowledge, no one has the confirmed this with hard data. The consensus is mainly just based on experience driving Stage 1 cars and some attempts to decode the Stage 1 programming code.

On the issue of upgrading the turbo and components, the Stage 1 PCM is going to do very little extra to help take advantage of these items. The Stage 1 PCM is designed to run with stock components. The only required change is a injector upgrade on the 2003 GT according to the good folks at Mopar. However, a DS tuner allows modifications to the canned tunes. There are a limited amount of changes the owner can make but there is much more a 3-party CMR tuning guy or gal can do. So if you plan to upgrade components, the DS may have real advantages.

Beyond these choices, there are also custom Stage 2 PCM's and custom PCM tuning.

PS: Unlike on the PT Cruiser, the DS 93 Octane tune for the Hemi engine is a true BEAST! It's like driving a whole different car.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Aug 2016 at 07:41 pm.