Help

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2016, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Ya know, I had the same issue. I went to the dodge dealer, because I figured since it's such a common part on these cars, and the genius design is that it can be replaced because the parts are removable (instead of the usual plastic tab that is part of the plug) so I figured the dealer techs are breaking these things all the time, so you can probably buy a little kit in a bag with the black and the red parts, right? The dealer probably has a bin full of these because they are constantly breaking them, right? Wrong. The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. He then asked the service manager, who looked out his office window at me like I was nuts. He then asked a tech, who spent a lot of time on a computer to come back with a part number for a $100 harness. Are you kidding me??? Nope. They were serious. I asked what happens when they break one while servicing a car. Response was, charge the customer for the $100 harness AND the install, or... zip tie it. I asked if they used genuine Mopar zip ties. They weren't nearly as amused by that as I was.
I am not surprised! Don't forget after a certain number of years they don't have to provide certain parts if they want to.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
The red clip that you pull back to release the wiring harness from the PCM is missing and the plug won't stay plugged how do you fix this problem. I thought I saw a fix in the forum and did a search but did not find it.

I just found this out. It's possible to REPLACE the broken PCM plug on a 2003 and newer PT.

The backing of the plug has four tabs. Once removed, there is a "backing cap" where all the wires go in. It has one tab on each side. Once you pry that off, turn the plug around. Looking at the part that goes into the PCM, you will notice a red tab INSIDE the plug on the side. Slide that red tab to the left. That's what holds all the pin receivers in place. You will likely find that all the brass pin receivers are stuck. So take a small screwdriver and push each one back a milometer or two until free. Now from the back side, all the wires will pull out of the plug with the brass pin receivers still on the ends. The backing cap will still be on the wire bundle so you will be able to maintain the wires in their original order.

Now just take a PCM plug with the same color inside from a salvage PT, remove the wires the same way and install it on the wires in your PT. And there you go. A working PCM plug with a good locking tab again.

PS: I hope to post some photos of this later. It sounds complicated. But hey, if I can do it, anyone can.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Sep 2016 at 05:57 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 04:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
Yes sir get me a picture, would be appreciated. The under hood heat is hard on plastic.
This may be true, but 3/4 of the stuff under the hood are plastic. Pretty sure my car came from the factory with zip ties installed in places that take more abuse than around the PCM.
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I just found this out. It's possible to REPLACE the broken PCM plug on a 2003 and newer PT.

The backing of the plug has four tabs. Once removed, there is a "backing cap" where all the wires go in. It has one tab on each side. Once you pry that off, turn the plug around. Looking at the part that goes into the PCM, you will notice a red tab INSIDE the plug on the side. Slide that red tab to the left. That's what holds all the pin receivers in place. You will likely find that all the brass pin receivers are stuck. So take a small screwdriver and push each one back a milometer or two until free. Now from the back side, all the wires will pull out of the plug with the brass pin receivers still on the ends. The backing cap will still be on the wire bundle so you will be able to maintain the wires in their original order.

Now just take a PCM plug with the same color inside from a salvage PT, remove the wires the same way and install it on the wires in your PT. And there you go. A working PCM plug with a good locking tab again.

PS: I hope to post some photos of this later. It sounds complicated. But hey, if I can do it, anyone can.

Handy... I'm gonna have to find the time to get out to a salvage yard (I always work when they're open) because I'd like to play with some of the plugs to see if the red locking tab and the small black locking slider underneath it can be removed without breaking them. The reason I went to the dealer looking for these parts was because when I was inspecting it at the time, it appeared as if they could easily be replaced, without changing the plug or the harness. Now, it's been a couple months, so I'm going off memory. Maybe somebody has a harness that they know is trash that they can try this on? Keep in mind, the black piece under the red tag IS removable, so it would seem that the two parts could be replaced... Again, no idea if donor parts can be scavenged without damage. Your approach does sound like a rock solid solution, for sure. But considering that the design seems as though it was intended to be replaceable, I'm hoping that it actually is.