PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2016, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help

The red clip that you pull back to release the wiring harness from the PCM is missing and the plug won't stay plugged how do you fix this problem. I thought I saw a fix in the forum and did a search but did not find it.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help

Is the black tab also broken for the PCM connector?
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry I got it wrong it is the black tab. the red is still attached to the electrical connector. The black tab that locks in the electrical connector to PCM.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest temporarily using a few real long high strength zip-ties and use it to keep the plug in place. The proper way is to replace the harness. Maybe other members have some ideas?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Sep 2016 at 04:04 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Once you push the connection together (without the black tab) can you hold it tight and push the red locking tab to one side? That "might" hold the connection together without the black tab.
If not, maybe a cable tie, if you can find a place to wrap it around the connection.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Once you push the connection together (without the black tab) can you hold it tight and push the red locking tab to one side? That "might" hold the connection together without the black tab.
If not, maybe a cable tie, if you can find a place to wrap it around the connection.
Make sure the PCM plug is secure. You don't want to be driving on the hwy and have the engine cut out on you.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 05:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Duck Tape works wonders. It was the third connector from the left, mines an auto. So it sets between the second and fourth connector. Started the tape over the second connector, over the third connector then ended it at the far side of the fourth connector in one piece. looks like it will hold
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ya know, I had the same issue. I went to the dodge dealer, because I figured since it's such a common part on these cars, and the genius design is that it can be replaced because the parts are removable (instead of the usual plastic tab that is part of the plug) so I figured the dealer techs are breaking these things all the time, so you can probably buy a little kit in a bag with the black and the red parts, right? The dealer probably has a bin full of these because they are constantly breaking them, right? Wrong. The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. He then asked the service manager, who looked out his office window at me like I was nuts. He then asked a tech, who spent a lot of time on a computer to come back with a part number for a $100 harness. Are you kidding me??? Nope. They were serious. I asked what happens when they break one while servicing a car. Response was, charge the customer for the $100 harness AND the install, or... zip tie it. I asked if they used genuine Mopar zip ties. They weren't nearly as amused by that as I was.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.

Last edited by GtPt05; 25 Sep 2016 at 09:48 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

By the way... My fix was to run zip ties all the way around the PCM (going over the top and back around from underneath) one on the left side of the plug, then one on the right side, then one horizontally to hold the two ties from moving. If that doesn't make sense, I can get a picture.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 10:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes sir get me a picture, would be appreciated. The under hood heat is hard on plastic.