Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2017, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
if you're planning to keep it and if you think you're smart i recommend diving in and getting the option that allows you to do your own tuning. it is a very steep learning curve but it is very rewarding.

i have no PT experience, but with the stuff i've learned with the tuning junk i bought for my mustang i have learned a ton and i've yet to blow anything up. you will end up with a better tune if you do it yourself since you have all the time in the world to tweak it.
Wouldn't it be great of the Mopar PCM's weren't locked down? The aftermarket for Ford tuning appears to be WAY ahead of Mopar in this respect. Even on the Charger forums where folks are willing spend big money on their cars, most are still dependent on CMR's. Luckily, several members on these forum have CMR software and routinely share tunes and tweak settings for folks.

The Sykes tuner and software appears to be the only thing readily available to achieve anything close to what Ford folks can do. But the somewhat experimental and "busy one-man shop" aspects of using Sykes tuner and software remains. Nitro claims to have some software like this that works with his DS or similar hand held unit. But he's never told what it is or where he got it. So to date, there's no review to go off of as to how well the Sykes or any other system like this would work on a PT Cruiser, 1st or 2nd Gen. Based on my conversations with Kevin B. and my own street performance goals, the custom PCM was enough. However, if we had a thorough and positive review of this tuner and software from a member, the Syked system might start looking pretty attractive even for street use. Based on the long and in-depth history of folks tuning the SRT4, there's enough available guidance to get anyone over of the learning curve if they had CMR-level access to the PCM.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jan 2017 at 11:44 am.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is a sample of what a EFI/ECU Performance Calibrator looks at when making decisions to changes operating cells. In the real world it takes a few hours to help set a base line for a single new ECU.
I alway make and create give back up file should they ever need to return to the stock programing and Never LOCK their ECU. Mail in ECUs for calibration changes seldom works out for the customer but always fills the pocket book ok a calibrator.
If anyone is going to consider the ECU as part of the upgrading it should be one of the last purchases after all the hard parts of the engine have been changed.

So that we get this straight....until when or if I get my CMR authorized program from DS I will not be talking about anything I have done concerning advanced DSP calibrations that require full access to the device. The CMR program will be a some what costly investment to which will constitute a business in part to which my first concern is recuperate that investment offering services as a business. I have already been doing ECU calibration for other platforms for a few years with success. (No blown engines lol)

In this time we all live in the preferred method of finding information and advise is the favorite internet forum. It use to be parking lots and group gatherings. This form of advice is called "tribal wisdom". which tends to support the groups joined thoughts supported by the self appointed headsmen. The winning solution and choices seems to be with who has the best story,group agreement or in the case of an internet who can author up believable information. This can be found and read on PT Cruiser forum and many other forums since their conception. The wanna-be performance modders on forums post some impressive threads and information yet most never seem to get their vehicles running well and are plagued with on going problems and self made challenges. Yet they continue to post and "wow" us with their un-accomplishments as if they are working out all what they describe minor issues.
Free advise from many on forums is often worth the price you paid for it.
Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
I never claimed that I knew or know everything on forums but generally when I choose to contribute to a thread it is based on hands on experience and not what I read on the internet from others. There is already at least a couple things that were mentioned but not addressed with the thread and advise given that could dramatically effect the end choice made with a ECU/PCM.

rev..... You may consider looking into attending a seminar or trade school in your area this year having to do with fundamentals of EFI basics and even EFI tuning.
Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
Kinda off topic but still perhaps relevant to this thread information wave.
In the last few months I have been working diligently to UN-lock and rebuild 2 peoples ECUs so that they can make changes without having to go back to the person who did them. I am one that does not believe that if someone pays you to do a Calibration that it is mine and lock your ECU.
For those calibrators that do this it causes the EFI/ECU Performance industry more harm than good. And better calibrators can eventually unlock the ECUs you locked anyway!

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts
PTSantaCruz and revo like this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jan 2017 at 12:41 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 05:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

I emailed Sykes just waiting to hear back to pull the trigger. Well nitro with what experience you have was hoping you could help me with a tune and give me a crash course on tuning and cell changes and parameters and guidelines to follow would seriously appreciate 5he help and guidance. I believe this is my best bet to take my car to the level I want it. Noz is nice but like methinjection not practical in how I want my street tuned use only pt. I will use Kevin for any custom tunes I need if k&s cannot tune like they say they can besides Kevin would be cheaper I'm only a heavy truck tech and have to save for my play money. Thanks for the comments and advice that's why I like this forum lots of knowledge happy crusing
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by revo; 28 Jan 2017 at 05:44 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 05:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't 5hink 300 or high 200 is non realistic the srt4 neon and caliber due that all day long on stock turbo set up. That at least what I understand from my research I've been doing since picking this car for 5he past year and a half. Besides a 3 bar fuel injection and waste gate I believe it's possible and safe numbers for an automatic pt.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
I emailed Sykes just waiting to hear back to pull the trigger. Well nitro with what experience you have was hoping you could help me with a tune and give me a crash course on tuning and cell changes and parameters and guidelines to follow would seriously appreciate 5he help and guidance. I believe this is my best bet to take my car to the level I want it. Noz is nice but like methinjection not practical in how I want my street tuned use only pt. I will use Kevin for any custom tunes I need if k&s cannot tune like they say they can besides Kevin would be cheaper I'm only a heavy truck tech and have to save for my play money. Thanks for the comments and advice that's why I like this forum lots of knowledge happy crusing
PM sent.
revo likes this.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 11:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well bad news Kevin said his handheld won't work cause I have a ngc3 leo. So I guess it's fwd performance since I cannot find a ecm for Kevin to flash. Waited almost a year and a half to find this out 5hat sucks now what can I do any advice would be appreciated at 5his this time not happy cruising.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

So if I want to upgrade my turbo or try to max my stock turbo let say to 16 psi. How would I be able to do this. How the heck did I buy a fi car and cannot put it on 5he dyno and get it dyno tuned. So the way it looks there is no way to modify my car I have to keep the motor factor this ffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!××××××sucks. I am a auto tech and I cannot not have a modified car I need speed someone has to have a solution for me what about sct on there Web site it says there tuner will work for my year and make advice now I have money but can't use it how or for what I saved it for totally bummed out. 😢
Old 01 Feb 2017, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...ch-megasquirt/

welcome to the world of "True engine Performance modding"!
Remember this phrase..

SPEED COSTS HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Feb 2017 at 09:58 am.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I want to go faster then I am now. Just venting so don't take this wrong when reading Sykes Web site says it covers my pt cruiser it says all 5he oddball and small niche models so thats not true so if you have a second Gen pt his handheld is no good . Also when I communicate with him I get veg I sentence answer's, man I would of promoted the cap out of this handheld and done many you tube videos. I don't no if I get a different ecm if it would work haven't gotten a response. I would like to go with him if he can help me with this problem and figure out a path for me that would be awesome.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 04:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nitro 5hat megasquirt does that total delete my ecm or does it run with it. Also prices are just a little more 5han a Diablo or Sykes handheld and that's with all 5he sensors and wide band any experience with this product. I could just go fwd performance stage one and get a adjustable waste gate or boost controller and hit 17 18 psi all day with no problems. Which is looking like 5he route I'm going to take. And still be bellow 500$ .advice welcome. The only pozetion worth owning is a sober sunrise and a fast car.