PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2017, 05:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

The Diablosport units are supposed 2006 models. However Handy's Stage 1 from Syked is not recognised.

This is purely speculation, but I believe Kevin at Syked does not know what the actual calibration ID is for the 2006 S1. On Handy's, he programmed the order number from the mopar catalogue as the calibration id, instead of the actual calibration id. Since he didn't program the correct id, that number is not on the list of ids which the DS is programmed to accept.

The mopar catalogue part numbers for every year stage 1 are totally different than the calibration id stored inside the pcm and displayed on the mopar stage 1 sticker. They are simply the catalogue order numbers. No other Stage 1 has the catalogue order number programmed as the calibration id, yet Handy's from Syked has. That's why I believe it is incorrect and why his does not work with the DS.

So, if you could call Cindy at FWD and ask her what the calibration ID/front sticker part number is for the 06 S1, and if she tells you, then my speculation would be confirmed or denied. If it is correct, and the part number is wrong, then Syked could flash your 07 pcm with the 06 stage 1 tune with the correct ID and it *should* allow the DS to work. If so, then a tuner with CMR access could build you a custom tune.

I did have an 06 GT pcm a few weeks ago but I forgot to test it with my ds and ended up by selling it. It wasn't until it was already gone when I remembered.

As well, if you find out from Cindy that the cal id is indeed different from what Syked programmed into Handy's S1, You could simply order an 06 S1 from Cindy at FWD and totally avoid Syked. Handy's 06 "s1", does work in his 07 except he has a dash light on. I forget what it is. I think its the volts light. Not a big deal if you can live with it.

Also, as of right now, there are several 07 turbo pcms on ebay right now that you could use as a core if you wish.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 01 Feb 2017 at 05:41 pm.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
Nitro
I see that I am going and went off topic mentioning a mega squirt.

I recommend to first build your engine DYNO it and than decide what to do with ECU control. I think once you do a DYNO base run your will understand why I keep repeating this?
I have already made comments about an adjustable waste gate or boost controller on this and another PT Cruiser forum. They usually will result in breaking parts on your vehicle that are not first built to support higher engine power levels.

The mega squirt stand alone ECU is for someone that is willing to do a lot of learning. You would be almost on your own with regards to this forum and any other PT Cruiser internet forums asking for help to use it and more the manufacture and their recommendations to get help from those that have been successful at using it. I personally don't like it but in your situation it would be a consideration choice for me.

I have a semi stand alone or piggy back ECU programer with one of my cars and I can see why the company has not sold more units. Although I understand and know how to calibrate a ECU these type of semi , stand alone or full access ECU calibration systems require some base line training or EFI operation understanding to do calibrations that will results in satisfactory results.

While I understand and usually agree somewhat from some members posting on this forum and this thread they do not have you best interest in mind. If they did they would be recommending that you wait before getting any PCM upgrade until you are at the point needing it with your goals.

Its your money , your time, I am only trying to save you what may be an expensive lesson.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 06:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
....While I understand and usually agree somewhat from some members posting on this forum and this thread they do not have you best interest in mind. If they did they would be recommending that you wait before getting any PCM upgrade until you are at the point needing it with your goals.

Its your money , your time, I am only trying to save you what may be an expensive lesson.
That is an interesting opinion, but Revo, I believe you are attacking the problem from the correct end. That is by finding out if the pcm will support your end goals before going all out on the engine and then finding out that the pcm is going to be a problem.

Good luck on your build!

Edit: Revo, I will have an 06 Turbo pcm (non-gt) arriving next week. If you wish to give it a trial run it in your car to see how, or if, an 06 pcm will even work in your car, let me know. We can work something out.
Handy_Cruiser and revo like this.

Last edited by myckee; 01 Feb 2017 at 06:54 pm.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 07:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

McKee appreciate comments and offer. Nitro as far as my engine maintenance new motor mounts all 3.Trans mount timing belt kit gates lower controlled arms loaded tie rods inner and outer all fluids flushed with all new filters compression test full tune up that was all done this past weekend. Getting her ready for my ecm upgrade . This has been planned over a year ago when I first joined this forum,and have been researching this upgrade. If you don't recall you are not the only ase certified master tech. I've read your threads and took your advice so this girl is ready for the big dance.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nitro and as far as learning I have time and as far as alone as sunny and cher say I got you babe.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post

Edit: Revo, I will have an 06 Turbo pcm (non-gt) arriving next week. If you wish to give it a trial run it in your car to see how, or if, an 06 pcm will even work in your car, let me know. We can work something out.
The 2007 Turbo Lite uses a different version of the 41TE automatic transmission than the 2006 turbo PT's. It has PM-controlled variable line-fluid pressure (VLP). I know these transmissions are not backwards compatible. So without VLP control in the 2006 PCM, I'm not sure how the tranny will do.

Here's a write up on VLP. There's a separate electric plug on the transmission for this. What I don't know is what will happen to the transmission if VLP doesn't work.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-pressure.html
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Feb 2017 at 07:50 pm.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 07:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Man I feel like finding a beat up 04 gt and gut it and put it all in my 07 that would solve everything then I could get whatever tuner I want. Like I said before should have researched 5he difference between years and modification accesabilty.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 08:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The 2007 Turbo Lite uses a different version of the 41TE automatic transmission than the 2006 turbo PT's. It has PM-controlled variable line-fluid pressure (VLP). I know these transmissions are not backwards compatible. So without VLP control in the 2006 PCM, I'm not sure how the tranny will do.

Here's a write up on VLP. There's a separate electric plug on the transmission for this. What I don't know is what will happen to the transmission if VLP doesn't work.

Variable line-fluid pressure (VLP) transmissions
Oh yes, I forgot about the different transmission! Thanks Todd!

Well, then you can find out if Cindy can flash 06 S1 programming on an 07 core. Of course it is possible, but will the people who do her work be willing to make a Frankenstein 06/07 pcm? I don't know. Syked can and will, so maybe Syked is the only option; if you can find out the correct calibration id for a real 06 S1. I don't know why Cindy would refuse to give you that information, but she may. It can't hurt to ask.

EDIT: Here is a picture, I found on google, of a 2006 S1 but with an MTX, not automatic, from FWD. As you can see from this link from our forum's archives, it has a different calibration id than the catalogue order number, which supports my theory that Handy's syked version may have the wrong calibration id programmed.

Last edited by myckee; 01 Feb 2017 at 08:43 pm.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now that we've exhausted the routinely discussed options, there is one more that I came across that might have potential.

The "HP Tuner" and associated software is supposed to be compatible with a 2007 PT GT. It's the ONLY 2nd Gen PT that's listed for this tuner. If this is true, all someone with a 2007 Turbo Lite would have to do is get either a salvage 2007 GT PCM (flashed to their VIN) or get one from another PCM provider. Then the HP Tuner could be used.

It's also possible the the HP Tuner would work with the 2007 Mopar Stage 1 as FWD Performance can provide. But someone would need to talk to the folks at HP Tuning and verify this. Here's a link.

HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips
myckee and revo like this.
Old 01 Feb 2017, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well Cindy emailed me back an has a 07 stage one for 375. So right now this is my only bet to do a ecm upgrade 3ven tho people say it's technology is a relic it's 5he only thing out 5here for my Gen 2. Don't even know if Sykes stage 1 or 2 would work but I can't find a ecm that I could send to him to get flashed. If he said no to handheld then why would the stage ecms work. Unless it's just the ecm I have in my vehicle so if that's just the case I could get the staged ecm from fwd performance then get 5he handheld from Sykes but he hasn't returned my last 2 texts so I don't know.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.