PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2017, 01:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

I know this has been discussed but I finally have some extra money to do this upgrade. I don't want to make a mistake. So which one I have a turbo lite so it's an automatic. But I want the best bang for 5he buck all advice welcome please.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sykes hand held or fwp stage 1 ecm

So your car is a turbo lite. What year model? I know your said earlier that it was produced in 06/2006. What is the VIN? There is a difference in tuning options between a 2006 and 2007.

The Diablo Sport will only work on a 2006 GT. It wont' work on a 2006 turbo lite PCM and strangely, it won't work on a 2006 Stage 1 PCM either though it will work on most 1st Gen Stage 1 PCM's. This limits your options. If your PT is a true 2007 model, t'aint no Diablo Sport option for you no matter the PCM.

For the 2007, your choices are going to be a Mopar Stage 1 clone from someone like FWD Performance, a custom programed Stage 1 from Syked (like I have), or one of the Syked tuners with either one of his canned tunes or a custom tune. There may be some additional custom and/or direct tuning options but there's none I could find offering these services online nowadays. Most tuning services have moved on from the PT Cruiser and few ever messed with them to begin with. Others can tell you more about who these guys are or were.

If you want plug and play, and don't plan to race, then Mopar Stage 1 is the cheapest and likely best option. I love my Sykes custom Stage 1. It builds and maintains 15 psi of boost all day. My previous 2005 GT Stage 1 didn't do that. But I believe all of Sykes 2nd Gen PT offerings are somewhat experimental and there's issues that may have to be worked out. Also, Kevin seems to be a very busy guy. So putting a package together for your 2nd Gen PT may take some time. You may behind several months worth of customers. I suspect his handheld tuner would load a performance tune directly to your stock PCM. But I don't know if he's got a canned performance tune specifically for your model. You would have to ask and see.

Again, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
revo likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Jan 2017 at 03:05 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Umm...

"builds and maintains 15 psi of boost all day".

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
Old 27 Jan 2017, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Umm...

"builds and maintains 15 psi of boost all day".

As with everyone else here, you know what I mean.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 06:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Handy like always great information I will go get 5he Vin # so 6ou can tell me if it's a 06 or 07 my goal would be to shoot for 300 if possible. Now I also went to k& s auto who does dyno tunes and can do one for me for 599 . I want to be able to be able to change tunes because I am not going to stick with stock turbo set up. And I will never get rid of 5his car . So I would like to have a tuner so I can change stuff down 5he road . I can not locate a ecm for Sykes to use so if I go 5he route of me buying a ecm and then sending it to Kevin the price will be close to his handheld. I wish the Diablo would work cause I could not only use it for tuning but as gauges and a scan tool. If only I did more research before buying my pt I would of went with a 04 or 05 so thanks again for responding and the great information.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 06:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

My production date is 9/06 my Vin #is 3A8FY68817T533495 so I 5hink it's an 07. So I 5hink 8ll have to go with 5he hand held and see what kind of tune Kevin will put in it for me to load then I'll have to find a tuner who can email me tunes. I'll keep you guys posted on how his handheld works.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 11:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a suggestion but you would be more realistic goal at a reliable 250.

You can also get on the bottle for a 75 shot.
I suggest you spend 75 bucks and get a baseline Dyno just so you can see where you are and what it will take to get closer to your goal.
Keep in mind the less actual work you do yourself and contract out will be more costly later should something go wrong.
What you dont read from people that have limited experience advising about ECU changes regarding performance is all the bad sheeet that can and does happen!
PTSantaCruz and revo like this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jan 2017 at 11:16 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
My production date is 9/06 my Vin #is 3A8FY68817T533495 so I 5hink it's an 07. So I 5hink 8ll have to go with 5he hand held and see what kind of tune Kevin will put in it for me to load then I'll have to find a tuner who can email me tunes. I'll keep you guys posted on how his handheld works.
That sounds like a good choice for what you want to do. The software that comes with the Syked tuner looks like it would be very powerful. In my opinion, the Diablo Sport tuners are intended as "end user" devices. They have lots of bells and whistles, but ultimately, they only allow the user to make few adjustments and change a few settings depending the vehicle. Their real purpose is just to load either canned tunes or custom tunes from folks with CMR software. Without CMR or similar software, the end user is limited in what they can do him or herself.

The Sykes software looks like it may be more similar to CMR software. This would allow the user to truly do their own tuning. The down side is that folks that offer tuning as a service may not be able to write tunes that can be loaded with the Sykes hand held unit. This unit is an off-the-shelf tuner made by a known company, but wasn't originally intended for use with PT Cruisers. So it's probably not like a DS tuner where you can email your data logging to a tuning service and then get a custom tune back by email. If this is the case, the Sykes tuner is going to by much more of a DIY type of system. It's possibly very powerful, but a steep learning curve will likely be involved unless just loading canned tunes from Syked.

I don't think anyone on the this forum has used it yet. Or at least they haven't posted anything about using it. You may in fact be the first person to attempt to use it on a 2nd Gen PT Cruiser. Remember what I said about some of the Syked stuff seeming to be somewhat experimental. I look forward to reading what you have to say about using it. This may be very helpful to others in the future.
revo likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jan 2017 at 09:42 am.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 09:53 am
Senior Cruiser

if you're planning to keep it and if you think you're smart i recommend diving in and getting the option that allows you to do your own tuning. it is a very steep learning curve but it is very rewarding.

i have no PT experience, but with the stuff i've learned with the tuning junk i bought for my mustang i have learned a ton and i've yet to blow anything up. you will end up with a better tune if you do it yourself since you have all the time in the world to tweak it.
Handy_Cruiser and revo like this.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I wish some members would should stop presuming things. Just because someone does not talk about a subject or somethings they have done does not mean they have not!

Members posting EFI/ECU Calibration device information without actually having any device that allowed full access to cells is not truly beneficial for any one asking for advise having to do with them. I consider it the guinea pig advise. You try it and let us know it works out for you!

Show any forum and I will find the unhappy people that listen to someone that really did not know what they were talking about having to do with "toooooning".

I know at least one active member that should be commenting about full tuning capabilities and the challenges they have.
revo likes this.