PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Turbo Lite Tuning Options

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2017, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 Turbo Lite Tuning Options

Hey all , I just picked up a 2008 PT Cruiser Turbo for a steal of a deal and I am looking for some sort of tuning solution. I like how much power the car has, but I am used to a tad more and I know there is some to be had.

My problem is that from what I can see there is only one option for me currently which is the Syked Stage 1 or 2, but I would really like to write my own tune.

Syked Staged ECU's for 2007-2009 PT Cruisers

I have had several foreign cars that I wrote my own tunes for on Standalone ecu's and I am looking for some sort of ecm flash like the diablo sport or something like HP Tuners that ive used with GM's. Syked does offer a handheld option that I think will work for my PT, but I don't have any experience with it and want to know if anyone has had some?

Syked Pro Tuning Software/Handheld Package

This chart does show that it will be compatible with my car, but I am not sure how good the software is or if there are other consequences associated with it. I don't like being a guinea pig, but I am willing to do so because it might be worth it.

Any other tuning options that I may have not found or thought of I am welcome to as well and would appreciate the guidance. I am very excited about this car and am happy to be a part of this community!
And of course

Old 13 May 2017, 03:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Turbo Lite Tuning Options

Here's the deal, I just went through what your trying to figure out about 2 months ago. Sykes handheld does not work for ngc3 software which is what you have even though it is listed on his Web site. My advice for you is if you are going to stick with stock turbo go for stage 1 or stage 2 ecu. If your going big turbo find someone local that can dyno tune it for you . If you have money to burn take to Sykes him self and see if he can custom flash a ecu to work with either his hand held or the trinity. I would lean more towards the trinity due to it comes with base tunes and good support its been around longer and there easier to get a hold of. I went with stage 1 from modern performance and I could not be happier would like to go big turbo but have to spend some money on other upgrades to handle that kind of power which cost some money but right now I'm good with spiking 18 holding 16 psi to redline. Keep us posted on out come because there is few upgraded Gen 2' out their and would like to know how it was done so I could follow suit. Happy cruising.
Old 15 May 2017, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
Here's the deal, I just went through what your trying to figure out about 2 months ago. Sykes handheld does not work for ngc3 software which is what you have even though it is listed on his Web site. My advice for you is if you are going to stick with stock turbo go for stage 1 or stage 2 ecu. If your going big turbo find someone local that can dyno tune it for you . If you have money to burn take to Sykes him self and see if he can custom flash a ecu to work with either his hand held or the trinity. I would lean more towards the trinity due to it comes with base tunes and good support its been around longer and there easier to get a hold of. I went with stage 1 from modern performance and I could not be happier would like to go big turbo but have to spend some money on other upgrades to handle that kind of power which cost some money but right now I'm good with spiking 18 holding 16 psi to redline. Keep us posted on out come because there is few upgraded Gen 2' out their and would like to know how it was done so I could follow suit. Happy cruising.
The problem is that the transmission went through an upgrade in 2007. And DiabloSport never wrote tunes to work with this new setup. Thus 2006 is the end of DS comparability for the PT GT. To solve this, I asked Syked Tuning to do exactly as described. Kevin took a 2007 PCM, retuned the shifting to make it stronger with updated shift points, And then added 2006 Mopar Stage 1 engine management tuning with a few improvement tweaks. The result was a very nice Stage 1 tune, but it still was not compatible with the DS.

While the DS is compatible with a 2006 GT PCM, it is possibly not compatible with a 2006 Stage 1 PCM. It's a little bit different animal than the earlier Stage 1's and DS again may have never bothered to add it to the compatibility list whether it would actually work or not. Since the DS Trinity checks compatibility by calibration ID, it's always possible that if a 2006 GT calibration ID was grafted into the custom 2007 Stage 1 PCM, it would work. But it's just as likely to screw up the PCM since they are some differences in the programming and hardware version. There's no reports of this being done successfully online that I can find. No one other than us few PT enthusiasts care anymore. And we are so far off the "official" application charts that none of the regular guys that do this for living seem to know.

I provided my own PCM for this and Syked Tuning charged about $250. Except for the improved shifting and short grocery list of custom improvements that Syked makes, you can get a 2007 PCM flashed to a "regular" 2007 Mopar Stage 1 PCM for around half that much by FWD Performance. After working out a kink or two, I'm very happy with what I have. For street performance in a PT, I can't see anyone really needing more. But it's still not DS compatible.

The smartest person I've found on PT Cruiser PCM compatibility is forum member Myckee. And he's continually figuring our new stuff as well. So he or someone else may be able to be explain this better and/or give a better description.

Another possible alternative is the HP Tuner. It appears that the HP Tuner may well be compatible with a 2007 PT PCM. But you would need to talk to the good folks at HP to confirm this. The advantage to the HP Tuner and software is that the give you everything available to a DS CMR plus a few other things CMR software may not provide. Plus, there's lot's a how-to's on the web to learn how to use them. If I ever purchase another tuner, it's likely to be this one.
Turbodude06 and revo like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 May 2017 at 01:20 pm.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I totally forgot about the difference in transmissions from 06 to my year and up and everything you said is dead on. My apologies to the op, yes hp would probably be the best bet I did get a text from them and there unit is compatible with Gen 2 but if I recall the text it doesn't come with a base tune and they have some way to get prorams with a credit system or points it was explained to me but it was over my head . I'm slow so I didn't get it but you probably would understand it and could probably explain it in lamen terms. It's a bit more money but would be the best route to go if you go big turbo. If you stay with stock turbo stage 1 or Sykes stage 2 which I will be getting soon would definitely be maxing out stock set up with out losing performance by going over what the stock turbo can do.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 05:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I know this is a few week old thread but I personally use HP Tuners on my car(2004 Pt GT 5 speed) I'm probably one of the only people that do. I was told by them that as long as it's the NGC3 ecu it will work(it would be a good idea to call them first though unless you already have HP and can see if it connects to the car). I found this out the hard way on my old 2003 which is a NGC1. The HP Tuners is amazing and you can change anything you possible can think of. But their are no tunes, you must do everything yourself. I taught myself by comparing srt4 stock and modded tunes to each other to give me ideas on what to do and not to do lol. These Chryslers are totally different to tune e then GM's. I didn't care for my Diablo tune at all on the 2003, but it was my only option. That car actually ran better on factory tune with and adjustable wastegate then it did on the Diablo tune. But I can't speak on the automatic behalf because I've never had an auto pt. I would highly suggest to get a wideband before you begin with either option. I can't speak on Skye's tunes either but I've heard great things about them also.

2004 PT GT 5-Speed! Project "THE RIDDLER"!!!
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-5-speed.html
Old 05 Jun 2017, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodude06 View Post
I know this is a few week old thread but I personally use HP Tuners on my car(2004 Pt GT 5 speed) I'm probably one of the only people that do. I was told by them that as long as it's the NGC3 ecu it will work(it would be a good idea to call them first though unless you already have HP and can see if it connects to the car). I found this out the hard way on my old 2003 which is a NGC1. The HP Tuners is amazing and you can change anything you possible can think of. But their are no tunes, you must do everything yourself. I taught myself by comparing srt4 stock and modded tunes to each other to give me ideas on what to do and not to do lol. These Chryslers are totally different to tune e then GM's. I didn't care for my Diablo tune at all on the 2003, but it was my only option. That car actually ran better on factory tune with and adjustable wastegate then it did on the Diablo tune. But I can't speak on the automatic behalf because I've never had an auto pt. I would highly suggest to get a wideband before you begin with either option. I can't speak on Skye's tunes either but I've heard great things about them also.
Thanks for this. I'm very happy to have conformation that the HP tuner does actually work on a PT. This is the tuner I've been wanting. I already have a custom tuned Stage 1, a GT and a turbo lite PCM. Like you, my plan is to compare these tune and learn the differences.

Are you able to access the VIN changing function or does that only work on Fords?
Old 05 Jun 2017, 07:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've never messed with it but yes you can do something with the vin# and edit it. Their is so much that can be done with it it's crazy. Like on my Camaro I disabled the security feature so I don't have to have key with the chip in it. Another cool feature is you can save tunes that are already on the ecu. Say for example you could save a Diablo tune and then sell the Diablo and load up the tune through hp tuners. I see these tunes all the time on the forums, tunes from Diablo, sct, Jets and others.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 05 Jun 2017, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodude06 View Post
I've never messed with it but yes you can do something with the vin# and edit it. Their is so much that can be done with it it's crazy. Like on my Camaro I disabled the security feature so I don't have to have key with the chip in it. Another cool feature is you can save tunes that are already on the ecu. Say for example you could save a Diablo tune and then sell the Diablo and load up the tune through hp tuners. I see these tunes all the time on the forums, tunes from Diablo, sct, Jets and others.
Very cool. I believe you've just talked me into making this my next bigger purchase.
Turbodude06 likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 09:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's worth it just do your research on it, about the credit system and stuff.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 13 Jun 2017, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all, I just confirmed that the HP Tuners is a go for the 2008 PT Turbo Lite as well. We are tuning it this weekend. All I had to do was read the tune and update my version of HP Tuners (had old version and update was free). I will let you know how it goes, but I am very excited to throw some more power at this thing! Hopefully it doesn't shit out the trans on the first pull!