PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Silly newb question on the stage1/DSP/Syked options

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2017, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Silly newb question on the stage1/DSP/Syked options

I can appreciate, respect the work and efforts over the years that MYKEE has done regarding PT Cruiser PCMs. He has taken it upon himself to invest not only time but also money to self learn much information beyond what I have ever read from anyone regarding all the variables pertaining to a PT Cruiser PCM. His information is some of the best available to date IMHO perhaps better then suppliers of PT Cruiser Performance PCMs or OE replacements.
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

Myckee is definitely the PCM expert on this forum. And he likely knows more about PT Cruiser PCM compatibility than anyone. When Nitro and I agree on something, you can take it to the bank.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 10:43 am
Cool Cruiser

SO with my 04 GT Manual, send it to FWD for a S1 tune and get "additional" performance. or Get a Diablo and get "additional" performance with the ability to change values and such with a professional doing a custom tune to my engine and modifications.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 25 Sep 2017, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
SO with my 04 GT Manual, send it to FWD for a S1 tune and get "additional" performance. or Get a Diablo and get "additional" performance with the ability to change values and such with a professional doing a custom tune to my engine and modifications.
Yes. That's pretty well it.

The DS Trinity and Intune tuners come with some nifty "geewhiz" features too. If you decide to go that way, you can check out the DS website read about them. The Trinity page will let you look up your car and then tells you what features will work.

And of course, beyond this there are other tuners that allow you to do your own tuning. A few members have reported that the HP tuners seems to work well on the PT PCM. But you have to do the programming yourself or pay someone else to do it. While you can't do programming yourself with a DS tuner (without expensive CMR software), the advantage of the DS tuners are the canned tunes that come with them. Plus, you can remove the tune from your PT and load another canned tune on any other compatible car. The Trinity will work on about 100 different types of cars, but only one at a time.

To get an idea of using one of these, here's a video I made using an older DS Predator on my Charger R/T Daytona. I go through several communication tests before installing the canned tune and then I use the tuner to turn off the EGR and rear O2 sensors.

https://youtu.be/yw7ZSaSMThE

While I own a DS Trinity, my choice for PT's up to now have been a Stage 1 or similar performance PCM. These make the PT very fun to drive. And since I don't race, this is enough power for now.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Sep 2017 at 11:13 am.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 11:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
the advantage of the DS tuners are the canned tunes that come with them.
I ain't putting anything on my car that comes in a Can.... It's purpose built tunes, or a S1 Mopar tune. If I got a DS I'd have some tuner shop build me a custom tune to put in, not use their basic tune.

Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had kind of started leaning towards the DS inTune 3, but not not enough to decide. I scoured the salvage lot today and every 04/05 magic box was already gone. That may have swayed my opinion, but the thing that keeps nagging at me is ongoing improvements. If I order something next month, it will have bigger injectors, plastic intake and some airflow mods... but what happens in a couple months and I put in a 3 inch DP or put a hyper-gerbil in the turbo or I get a better sticker package?
So
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 07 Oct 2017, 12:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I called Cindy. Because with my new job comes a new income for car parts. She said, the best way to do it is: Call her, give her your VIN, Tire Size, credit card #, and Shipping address. They charge you $250 and send you a Stage 1 PCM. You then plug it in, and when you're happy, you send your original PCM back to them for a $100 core refund. Total cost $150+$15 shipping(ish), and no downtime.

I'm ordering mine today!

Old 07 Oct 2017, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
I called Cindy. Because with my new job comes a new income for car parts. She said, the best way to do it is: Call her, give her your VIN, Tire Size, credit card #, and Shipping address. They charge you $250 and send you a Stage 1 PCM. You then plug it in, and when you're happy, you send your original PCM back to them for a $100 core refund. Total cost $150+$15 shipping(ish), and no downtime.

I'm ordering mine today!
My advice is to keep your original PCM for a couple of reasons. First, it is very nice to have a spare PCM for testing and troubleshooting purposes, and to just have a backup should the S1 develop an issue. Second, the turbo PCM is currently worth at least $200 on ebay.

If you really want to send her a core, go to the u pull yard and buy a spare 04-05 PT manual PCM from any NA or turbo PT and send that in. Assuming you spend $35 on the core and $15 to send it to her, you would still have a net refund of $50.