PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My Myckee Custom Stage 1 Performance PCM!!!

Like Tree28Likes
  • 5 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 7 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By myckee
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 2 Post By kudah440
  • 2 Post By kudah440
  • 2 Post By GotToGo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2020, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up My Myckee Custom Stage 1 Performance PCM!!!

Let's talk about my new Myckee custom PCM for my PT Cruiser.

My little PT Cruiser started life as a 2007 Touring Edition with turbo option. Among PT enthusiasts, this is known as a "Turbo Lite". Published (nominal) horsepower is 180 hp @ 5100 rpm and peak torque is 210 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm. Maximum turbocharger boost is about 8 psi. As all Turbo Lites, the PCM is tuned for regular octane fuel. Engine and transmission tunes in the PCM provide the only differences in performance between a Turbo Lite and a GT. For a 2007 GT, nominal horsepower is 230 @ 4,950 rpm and peak torque is 245 ft-lbs. @ 3800 rpm. Max boost is 11-12 psi. The 2007 GT PCM is tuned to used premium fuel. Adding a GT PCM to a 2007 Turbo Lite will give the GT performance. The GT PCM can also enable an Autoshifter if added to a Turbo Lite. Both a Turbo Lite and GT can be further upgraded with a Mopar or custom Stage 1 PCM. For a 2007, gains are up to 20 additional horsepower and 15 more ft-lbs of torque. This will result in around 250 hp and about 260 ft-lbs of torque depending on the car and other modifications. Max boost in my PT is 15 psi. All numbers cited are nominal. Boost can be measured with a boost gauge. Actual horsepower and torque can be verified on a Dyno or calculated with a DPIC/accelerometer gauge or similar.

Here's the boost in my car with stock Turbo Lite PCM.

Here's my car with a Custom Stage 1 PCM.

So what is a "custom" Stage 1 PCM versus a Mopar Stage 1 PCM?

Chrysler made Mopar performance parts available at their dealerships. These were sold under the marketing terms "Stage 1" for street and "Stage 2" for track. Only Stage 1 products were made for PT Cruisers. Stage 1 PCM’s were popular, but other parts were also available. Original Mopar Stage 1 PCM's were made by taking PCM cores and having them flashed to performance programming by Flight Services. While engine performance is increased, transmission performance is the same as for GT.

2006 was the first year for the 2nd PT Cruiser. But the automatic transmission was improved with variable line pressure (VLP) in 2007 models. Diablo Sport supports PT Cruiser GT's up thru 2006 and some with Stage 1 PCM's with their handheld tuners. There is no support for the 2006 Stage 1 or later GT or Stage 1 PCM's.

To be able to have a 2007 PT Cruiser with Stage 1 performance, a "custom" PCM is needed.

That's where forum member, Myckee, comes in. He has a library of PCM programs for almost all PT Cruisers and many other Mopar cars. And he has the ability to combine programming to create custom PCM's. For me, he was able to overlay 2007 Stage 1 engine and transmission management on top of a 2006 GT calibration. This created a unique Diablo Sport compatible 2007 Stage 1. And it is INCREDIBLE!

I had been using a custom PCM from Sykes tuning. Performance was good. But my PT often shuttered at lower speeds. I really noticed this when I reverted to a stock Turbo Lite PCM which drove smooth as glass. And the Sykes PCM was not compatible with a Diablo Sport tuner either. But Myckee's PCM has great performance AND drives smoothly even when crawling along. Boost is still at 15 psi. But now, I seem to have more at full throttle. To be exact, I have a little bit too much and my car has some heavy "torque steer" from the extra power.

• Below is a 3/4 throttle video just to check out boost.
  • And after that is a "short" full throttle video. Notice the squall when I catch rubber changing to 2nd and 3rd gears. Also notice I'm fighting to keep it in road due to all the torque steer. I did not expect that much power!

I am really enjoying this new PCM. Last Saturday, me and my sweetie went for a ride for the first time with this new PCM. Even with two people in my car, it sucked us back in seat at 3/4 throttle. And at full throttle, it needs to be seriously driven due to all the torque-steer. I also really like the fact I can finally use my Diablo Sport tuner again!

If you need a performance PCM for your turbocharged PT Cruiser, you should definitely talk to Myckee. And even if you just need a replacement for your stock PCM, Myckee is the man to build you one. He's very reasonable on his prices too. Plus, he's a great guy all around.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 May 2020 at 08:04 pm.
Old 27 May 2020, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My Myckee Custom Stage 1 Performance PCM!!!

Here is a 3/4 throttle video just to check out boost!

Old 27 May 2020, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is a "short" full throttle video.

Notice the squall when I catch rubber changing to 2nd and 3rd gears. Also notice I'm fighting to keep it in road due to the torque steer. I did not expect that much power!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 May 2020 at 08:06 pm.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Awesome Todd! I am happy it all works nicely and there is no check engine light.
Old 30 May 2020, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by premature
there is no check engine light.
Lets see what happens after a test from a standing stop and longer WOT power run like 1/8 or better 1/4 mile!

I am curious about why such noticeable torque steer? Even when I blew 75 shoot of nitrous and 16psi max boost I never got as much as you say you are getting? The whole point in the 3 axles was to drastically reduce torque steer in the PT?

I would double check to make sure during the testing of getting full throttle. Push the throttle gentle to the floor without getting aggressive and have your assistant check if there is any more to gain directly at the throttle body. Incorrectly adjusted cable, carpet, floor mats etc., can all prevent full throttle operation.

As for the transmission, because no one has really successfully been able to change TCM adjustment he most noticeable difference in shifting would come from a valve body kit. Naturally a "sportier" Torque converter would "wake up" any lazy A604/41TE.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 May 2020, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Awesome Todd! I am happy it all works nicely and there is no check engine light.

None yet. After I got my DS Trinity "unbicked" from the corrupted automatic update, I put the car through some more paces yesterday evening. At one point, I did get a P1899 code.

But it turns out that I was unconsciously holding onto the shifting knob like it was a manual. And during acceleration, I pulled it back a little causing the car to throw the P1899 for a Park/Neural switch fault.

One other thing I've notice is a nice turbo sound coming from the cold air intake. I didn't really drive the car much with the Sykes tune after I installed the CAI. And there was little or no difference in sound with the OEM Turbo Lite tune. But with this new PCM, I get a nice little jet sound under boost. I may also try that little mod you recommended. This thing is really fun!
rockandroller and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 May 2020 at 02:32 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2020, 03:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Oooohhh... very nice!
MY turn my turn! I want one too. I just stumbled on your post because im finally getting a chance to do something with my PCM, but all the regular people I had been contemplating seem to be shying away from the 03 since the last time I looked. So I got a salvaged 04/05 PCM trying to figure out what to do with it now. lol
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 05 Jun 2020, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are two primary issues with a 2004 or 2005 GT PCM in a 2003 GT. One is that it is calibrated for the larger blue-banded injectors and not the smaller pink ones that come in a 2003 GT. The second issue is that the 2003 GT has a variable speed radiator fan. 2004 and newer PT's just have a two-speed fan. Luckily, Myckee can sort that all out for you.
rockandroller and myckee like this.
Old 05 Jun 2020, 05:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Good news, I already upgraded to the blue injectors when I upgraded to the plastic intake. 😁
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 06 Jun 2020, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
One other thing I've notice is a nice turbo sound coming from the cold air intake.
I posted about a change in sound with the S1 a while back.
Its noticeable, right?