PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny She is a no-good!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2004, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tranny She is a no-good!

Hi all....
Well Just a nother dope, I have a 2003 GT, Played with it for a while (MBC-Home made air pipe, ect) then when for the upgrade..Stage One, well like I knew from what I had seen on the site, it was pulling hard, boost stayed higher with less spiking. Nice Ride, maybe not as fast with the MBC- but ran better!!! I had a friend help me put it in, he own a auto-shop. He hooked up my car to his computer and ran some tests before install of Stage One Kit. The Tranny ran a code - Bad Pump, this was dismissed due to the fact I told him that, it was low and I had just topped off the tranny. So we (more-he) installed the kit in just a few minutes. After install and adjustment of antifreeze- He ran the car with the computer and "adjusted" as he thought needed. We went for a Test ride and the car ran like the devil!!!! Well at this point I say....What about the Quick-Learn that the Tranny needs as stated in install sheet. He laughs and says I did that already with the computer...No need!!
....Well here I am maybe 2 months later...Car is at the dealer with a bad Tranny!!! I never really wanted a auto- but the car was a deal.. He came by after I told him what had happened, and he hooked up his computer (in my diveway-the car was slipping like Crazy).. It said Bad pump. Bad 1 - 2 - 3- gears (slipping) conveter was making "the marble in the blender sound" I am hopeing that the dealer will replace the tranny and not rebuild it.. I have to wait for them to tell me their findings!!
any help out there would be GREAT.....Thanks!!
Scott
Old 27 Sep 2004, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:scottscars Posted - 09/27/2004 : 8:04:06 PM

What about the Quick-Learn that the Tranny needs as stated in install sheet. He laughs and says I did that already with the computer...No need!!
Sounds to me like your friend might have screwed up the quick learn via computer. From what I've been told, if you don't do the quick learn properly (either on the road or by having a DCX tech program it) you are absolutely guaranteed to destroy your auto tranny.

It'll be interesting to see if your warranty coverage picks this up. If the dealer believes that Stage 1 caused the failure you may be out of luck. If you were throwing a code before installing S1 then you may have an out, but if you can't prove that to the dealer.....[:I]
Old 28 Sep 2004, 01:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

It's probably too late now, but it would have been best to swap it back with S0 (original PCM) before bringing it to the dealer.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Sep 2004, 02:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:crazie.eddie Posted - 09/28/2004 : 12:46:56 AM
It's probably too late now, but it would have been best to swap it back with S0 (original PCM) before bringing it to the dealer.
Maybe so, but I've heard that even after swapping PCMs you'll still see the code for S1 (don't recall exactly what code that is, but it's there and I've seen it on my car). I don't know enough about how these codes are generated and stored, but it would seem to me that they'd be stored in the PCM itself, so if you swapped back to the factory unit it shouldn't show this code. But like I said, I don't know enough to say that definitively and I may well be mistaken or not thinking as logically as I think I am. (did that even make sense???[:I])
Old 28 Sep 2004, 10:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

You shouldn't see a code when you swap PCMs except for a b+ disruption type code due to disconnecting it. I would not blame the trans learn since he had a "bad pump" code prior to SI and I do not know of any scan tool except the DRB III that can perform the trans learn, what code was it?. It probably would have been a good idea to have brought it in to find out why the code was stored. Why did you need to fill the trans up?
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03 Oct 2004, 12:39 am
Regular Cruiser

stage 1 code p0633 turn your key 3 time and chek your millage the code will be there and the rest of code if you have
P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Intermittent
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P0109 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Intermittent
P0110 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit Malfunction
P0111 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0112 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit Low Input
P0113 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit High Input
P0114 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit Intermittent
P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Malfunction
P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Low Input
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit High Input
P0119 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Circuit Intermittent
P0120 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Malfunction
P0121 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0122 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Low Input
P0123 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit High Input
P0124 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Intermittent
P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
P0126 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Operation
P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0132 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0140 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0142 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0143 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0144 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0145 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0146 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0147 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
P0150 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0151 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0152 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0154 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0156 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0157 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0158 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0159 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0160 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0162 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
P0163 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
P0164 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
P0165 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
P0166 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
P0167 O2 Sensor Heater C
Old 03 Oct 2004, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First off I would Like to thanks to ,Mike-in-Orange,crazie.eddie, ptgtcb, steve smith, You guys are GREAT!!! For the record, I did switch out the computer, left the lights - no batt. to clean out, codes...Then ran the car with the Bum tranny for a few miles till the codes came back up... I left the injectors in and the Stage One label on the back deck. I drove the PT to the dealership in limp-mode stuck in second gear. The next day I got a phone call from the dealer and he said that the car was in and did need a tranny. A day latter he asked if I put in the Stage One kit and that if I did I was NOT covered. I has at a loss and I did reply "sorta" he said what did I mean, I said that I did install injectors and the label but not the computer.. and that if it was not cover I needed to be told why and what I did to make the tranny not covered. He asked where I did read this...I said it was on the Web site, and in the warranty. Then I asked if did he really read the warranty and understand it. I said that he could hook up all the computers to see if I did void the warranty, and that he would need to prove I did. The next day he called and said "He spoke to someone at Chrysler and they said to FIX IT!" ... I was also told it would be a New-Tranny and not a rebuild!! So here it is Sunday Night I was told tranny would be in Monday....More to come....
Old 03 Oct 2004, 11:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Great to hear you're getting a new tranny under warranty. I'm just wondering, would you have to do another relearn once you put the S1 PCM back on?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 04 Oct 2004, 02:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey Scott, that's awesome news!!! Way to teach the dealer about Stage 1 and warranty issues! I'll have to keep all this in mind, especially with regard to the PCM swap: I have an '04 so S1 is just the PCM. I don't have any badging of any kind on my car anymore, so swapping back to the Stage0 PCM could very well save my butt should anything happen.

Crazy.Eddie, yes, he'll have to do another quick learn on the new tranny. That tranny is being installed with a stock PCM managing everything, so the Stage 1 PCM will be new to it. A quick learn MUST be done in this case.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

got back from the dealer and car is not ready... I had a problem with the heated pass. seat and if it is in, might as well get it fixxed!!! so I don't have the car yet.... and Yankee Game 1 on Tuesday!!!! so will not pick up untill Wednesday!!(GO-Yanks).. YES I will proform Quick - Learn this time!!!!!! as far as I can tell, I will have to put in stage one kit as if I never did.. Just glad I don't have to do the Injectors again, Not that that was hard... That whole anti-freeze thing was a bitch, My 69 cuda NEVER had to "bleed"... ( but then again never got increase of horse-power without getting totaly greasy!!!) Thanks scott