Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Stage Turbo Kits

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stage 1 install problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2005, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default stage 1 install problem

I began installing stage 1 today and have a problem. After removing the PCM and the mounting bracket from the pcm, i attempted to install the bracket on the new pcm. the screws would not start and on closer inspection i discovered the new pcm was not tapped to receive the screws. Has anyone else had this problem? i will call T Thrift tommorrow at haynes to see if they can help me with this problem. For now i am dead in the water.
Can i install the injectors and run them with the stock pcm without any damage?
Old 19 Jun 2005, 03:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gooberff

I began installing stage 1 today and have a problem. After removing the PCM and the mounting bracket from the pcm, i attempted to install the bracket on the new pcm. the screws would not start and on closer inspection i discovered the new pcm was not tapped to receive the screws. Has anyone else had this problem? i will call T Thrift tommorrow at haynes to see if they can help me with this problem. For now i am dead in the water.
Can i install the injectors and run them with the stock pcm without any damage?
I've heard this before. Can you tap them yourself?
You must have an '03 and yes you can install the injectors. Those are the same injectors that are in the '04-'05.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Jun 2005, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought about tapping it myself but i was concerned about the oil and shavings getting into the pcm. it looks like i can remove the aluminum rear section to tap it seperately but i didn't want to take the pcm apart and damage circuitry inside. if anyone has had their pcm apart let me know if the aluminum back cover is free of any circuitry.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 08:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

The mounting scews are self tapping. The mounts are external. Go ahead and bolt it up. That is how it works.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i installed the pcm before seeing the post about self tapping screws. i used 10/24 stainless screws with a lock washer, locktite and double nutted. it doesn't appear anything will rub and wear. What do you think about this install or should i remove and use the self tapping screws.

I took a short test drive and can see gretaer 1st gear power and higher boost pressures while driving in the 13 to 14 psi range.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 01:42 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

Lol, honestly...you could probably duct tape the damn pcm to the firewall it won't make any difference. When I had bought my S1 I heard that some pcms came with tapped holes and some didn't. Well, mine didn't, just like yours. I just used the screws that were previously on the car and stuck em in the holes and cranked down on them till they went in...never had a problem since, and they're extremely tight so I doubt it'll ever fall out lol
Old 29 Jun 2005, 12:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TurboCruiser13

Lol, honestly...you could probably duct tape the damn pcm to the firewall it won't make any difference. When I had bought my S1 I heard that some pcms came with tapped holes and some didn't. Well, mine didn't, just like yours. I just used the screws that were previously on the car and stuck em in the holes and cranked down on them till they went in...never had a problem since, and they're extremely tight so I doubt it'll ever fall out lol
What he said. Last I checked the PCM was still bolted on tight

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html