PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 oil consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2005, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 oil consumption

Hello,
I plan on changing the valve cover and had some questions. On some sites they list that you need valve cover, valve cover gasket, and intake manifold gasket. My question is do you really need the intake manifold gasket since I don't see how you need it for this change out? Any additional advice is appreciated.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montanasilver

Hello,
I plan on changing the valve cover and had some questions. On some sites they list that you need valve cover, valve cover gasket, and intake manifold gasket. My question is do you really need the intake manifold gasket since I don't see how you need it for this change out? Any additional advice is appreciated.
The upper intake manifold has to come off if you plan to change the valve cover gasket, but I've had the intake off 3 times without ever changing a gasket.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have 20K miles on it. Would I really need to change the spark plug well gaskets too? Has anyone used an cleaner on their intake manifold to get rid of the oil? A friend of mine mentioned Seafoam or something like that.

Thanks.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin about the answer. Wasn't sure if it was upper or lower, now I know.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montanasilver

I have 20K miles on it. Would I really need to change the spark plug well gaskets too? Has anyone used an cleaner on their intake manifold to get rid of the oil? A friend of mine mentioned Seafoam or something like that.
Thanks.
What "spark plug well gaskets"?? The spark plug wires have the "boots" molded onto the wires - that what you're talking about?
[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jul 2005, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In the 2001 service manual for the Cruiser, page 9-44. It says "NOTE: replace spark plug well seals and bolt seals when installing a new cylinder head cover gasket." It goes inside the cover against the spark plug wells.
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not arguing. I have the 2001 PT Cruiser Parts Catalog and the Cylinder Head section shows all parts from the cylinder head gasket on up. It does show 4 "O" rings that are called "GASKET, Spark Plug Well". None of the bolts show any kind of seals. I can't say weather they have to be changed, but a friend of mine changed his Valve cover for the chrome plated one and the only thing he changed was the vlave cover gasket itself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jul 2005, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

In that case, I will just use the existing well gaskets and the bolts. Wonder if the seals for the bolts are permanently attached and you have to order new bolts. Either way, thanks for the info.
Old 02 Jul 2005, 12:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've replaced several of the cam covers.

The new cover comes with the rubber gaskets already in place.
The o-rings for the spark plug wells and the small o-rings on the bolts are included.
The bolts are captive and come with the cover.

Old 02 Jul 2005, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

COOL! Don't have to spend more money to buy them as separate items. How about removing the oil from the intake manifold? Is there any special spray on or what not that helps? Any takes on Seafoam?

Thanks for all your help!