Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Reengineered" silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2005, 09:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default "Reengineered" silencer

I took out the silencer that went from the filter box to the fenderwell. 1 because of teh crappy size. 2 because I figured it would give it some extra "noise"
Well, 1 I was correct about. 2. WAY to much noise for my taste.

SO I figured i'd make a bigger pipe from the box to fenderwell. Not to bad. Took me about a 1/2 hour & $1.00 worth of stuff( but I already it laying around)
What I used..
2" SCH 80 PVC( about 3") & 1 90deg SCH 80 Elbow.
WalMart primer & gloss black paint.
I sanded the pipe a little to get it in the hole. I plan on running hose to the bumper for a little ram air & i'm going to cut into the box & install a bigger pipe later( about a month).
I know it isnt much. But it has to be beter than stock. It kills the noise, & looks almost stock. Which is what I want. Nothing flashy.
I know it wont give mne any power. But I had soem time to kill & was bored. So I said what the hell.

Old 02 Jul 2005, 09:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Nice work, i took out the white silencer in mine, added a K&N and that is it for me, i don't want TOO much noise
Old 02 Jul 2005, 11:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Expresso,
Sorry , but I don't have pics on a hosting site to link here.
I just did almost the same thing to our second PT today.
If you measure the inside diameter of the OEM plastic part that goes into the fender opening, you will find the diameter is smaller than the throttle body bore, therefore it's restrictive. What I did was take a 2" PVC Long 90 degree elbow. One end I cut off the part that flares out to accept a 2" pipe. The other end I opened the inside diameter to 2 1/2" using a 2 1/2" hole saw in a drill press. It's a little tricky getting started but take your time and it will come out fine.
The 2 1/2" opening allows the elbow to fit over the nipple sticking out of the air box. The LONG PVC Elbow then lines up with the hole in the fender. I painted the elbow Satin Black and used a sheet metal screw to hold it in position on the air box after drilling a pilot hole for the screw. A LongPVC elbow was $.94 at Home Depot.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 02 Jul 2005, 11:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm going a little bigger than that, so this is my plan.

Plans on what i'm doing from the box to the bumper...
Airbox to remain intact, but making a "scoop" inside the box to funnel air right to the filter( maybe, maybe not, depends on how i feel that day). Using 1/8 plastic for that.
As for the tubing. I'm going to be doing a 3" PVC. Cut out the side of the box. Mated to 3" that runs down to the fog light. I'm custom making a funnel that mounts to the the hole where the light is supposed to be & mating it up to the piping. All in all about $5 worth of piping & a few hours. I making the funnel, because it look so much better than a hose just siting there.
I'm also replacing the box to throttle body accordian hose. With FERNCO couplings & PVC.
So the total amount will run about $25. Is it a waste? To some. But it is definitly better than stock & no where near the cost of an AIRAID intake, or the similar.
This is not a high HP machine. I have nothing but time, on my hands. So why not waste some crap i've had sitting around since before I even moved here( brought too much crap for Oklahoma).

I will say though, with this in place I lost 90% of the noise, but havent lost any noticable performance over not having one there.
Old 03 Jul 2005, 10:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Expresso,
Sounds like you have a plan and your work cut out for yourself.
One thing to keep in mind with your setup is picking up water from rain or deep puddles.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 03 Jul 2005, 02:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tpscruiser

Expresso,
Sounds like you have a plan and your work cut out for yourself.
One thing to keep in mind with your setup is picking up water from rain or deep puddles.
I've had a 2" flexible hose run from the opening next to the driver side fog light up to the fenderwell hole for two years and have never had a problem with heavy Oregon rain. Driving through a big, deep puddle under any circumstance would be stupid.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jul 2005, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Mean Green, do you have a pic of that tube running from the air dam to the filter box? I'd like to see how you routed it.
Old 04 Jul 2005, 12:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Mean Green, do you have a pic of that tube running from the air dam to the filter box? I'd like to see how you routed it.
Sorry, no pics. You couldn't see it now anyways as the flexible 2" hose is behind the inner fenderwell. If you do run it make sure to, at the lowest point before it goes up into the the hole next to the fog light, make three weep holes to let any moisture drain from the hose.

The only pic I have is from the front.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Jul 2005, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did a setup similar to espressos, except with a 2 1/2" ABS St.Ell. I tapered the straight end and pushed it into the hole on the side of the airbox. The hub side of the elbow points right to the fenderwell hole.
Old 04 Jul 2005, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Go to Home Depot and get a small drain. cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox and secure the drain with scews into the bottom of the airbox. Get the appropriate size heater tubing from the auto parts store. remove the plastic that squeezes down the air intake opening on the front air damn and use a plastic rivet to hold the tubing in place. route the tubing up to the bottom of the airbox and secure it to the bottom of the drain with a worm clamp of appropriate size. If you have a 5 speed like I do, you have to cut the big rubber damper off of the shift mechanism. It is just there to make the shifter feel smoother when you shift. the tubing will interfere otherwise.

I have run this setup for about a year and it works great. I have mounted the outside air temp sensor in the airbox and I can monitor the temp inside the box. When you are not stuck in traffic it really keeps the inside of the airbox cool (ergo, cooler intake air). In stop-and-go traffic there isn't much you can do in any event.

Some people insist that this makes no difference, but you really can feel a performance difference betweena a 60-80 degree intake charge and a 100-120 intake charge.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come