Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front End Shimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2005, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front End Shimmy

Back in March my wife and I each bought 2005 PT Cruisers. Hers is a 4 door, automatic, 2.4Ltr FI and mine is a convertable, 5 speed, 2.4Ltr FI. Both cars had a shimmy in the front end at take off and when turning corners at slow speeds. We demonstrated this to the dealer and they recognized it as a problem. In fact all of the 2005 FI Cruisers on the lot had the same problem, some worse than others. Chrysler told the dealer to change the front axles. That didn't work, they changed the wheels and that didn't help. Finally the they brought in the factory engineer and he said he felt it too, but that was the way the car was designed.

Of course we protested and I even talked directly to the factory engineer. In June I got a call from the dealer and they said Chrysler told them to change the front drive axel with one for the Turbo. Low and behold the problem went away. This week they changed the one in my wife's and the problem was solved.

The reason for the delay in hers was because the drive axel for the Turbo model was back ordered. Seems they were in high demand.

We were told by the dealer and the factory engineer back in March that we were the first customers to bring this problem to their attention.

We believe that the Dealer stood behind us all the way. Chrysler knew they had a problem and they found the solution.

Boomer
Old 22 Jul 2005, 03:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Same "problem" here. All the ones I drove did it also. It's horrible torque steer, because of the weight of the car & the suck ass turning radius. I've seen it on quite a few cars actually.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 03:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Espresso

the suck ass turning radius
Sure hope you didn't buy it for it turning radius.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

LOL..no, BUT the base Neon has a 5 ft better radius( because of steering rack, not because of wheel track) & all the front end components swap over to the PT, so......
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Johns Steel Blue said: "Sure hope you didn't buy it for it turning radius."

Nope, bought it for the gas mileage [xx(]

I haven't figured out how to do a quote on this forum yet.[V]
\" Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside, shuddering to a stop in a cloud of dust, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- \"WOW--What a Ride!\"
Author unknown.............
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Racer46

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer46
I haven't figured out how to do a quote on this forum yet.[V]
Above the post there is a piece of paper with a red arrow pointing to it( along with a paper with a face & a pencil & trash can, the later 2 show up only on YOUR posts). That is the reply with quote selection. Give it a try.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 11:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Above the post there is a piece of paper with a red arrow pointing to it. That is the reply with quote selection. Give it a try.
You will also be able to edit the quote as needed.[8D]
Old 23 Jul 2005, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Doh! Thanx!
\" Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside, shuddering to a stop in a cloud of dust, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- \"WOW--What a Ride!\"
Author unknown.............
Old 27 Jul 2005, 10:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Espresso

LOL..no, BUT the base Neon has a 5 ft better radius( because of steering rack, not because of wheel track) & all the front end components swap over to the PT, so......
But it ain't a NEON. Note differnent sheet metal around the wheels.

besides, if there was more steering lock available, some moron whould crank it all the way over at hiqhway speeds with a grand piano on the roof rack and flip the car over onto it's roof and into a liability suit.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 28 Jul 2005, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First I've heard of this, and I'm on 6 PT forums. Also, didn't know turbo axles were different - just for GT or also turbo "lite"?
If I have the problem, I don't know it - feels the same as my '02 - only faster...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles