Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whipple Superchargers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2005, 07:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Whipple Superchargers

Has anyone recently (within the last year)installed a whipple supercharger on there cruiser? Looking to go wih the whipple on my 02 touring to get come more kick but need more info on likes and dislikes of the whipple.
Thanke KEvin
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Be sure you get the one with two hampsters not the single.[}]
Old 26 Jul 2005, 11:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

what the hell does that mean?? you got me with that one.. Seriously I'm trying to get as much info on superchargers as I can from those who got them installed over the last couple of years.
Kevin
Old 27 Jul 2005, 02:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Relax, it was an attempt at humor.

I just did a quick word search on the home page here and got 243 hits for "Whipple" just for this one forum. You can find lots of info with a bit of poking around.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 03:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

2step, you are a baaad boy. Always riling people up

Kevin, with as much as the supercharger is I'd look at going with the Hahn turbo 1st stage. You run at 6psi (I think) and don't have to upgrade internals. You will get your extra kick. Lot of people are running with the Hahn and like it. You can even upgrade to stage 2 and I hear stage 3 is coming out, too. Check out the Hahn here
http://www.bstockum.com/

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks 2step ,

I can fix mine now, I had only one hampster [xx(]
Old 27 Jul 2005, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

2step, you are a baaad boy. Always riling people up

Kevin, with as much as the supercharger is I'd look at going with the Hahn turbo 1st stage. You run at 6psi (I think) and don't have to upgrade internals. You will get your extra kick. Lot of people are running with the Hahn and like it. You can even upgrade to stage 2 and I hear stage 3 is coming out, too. Check out the Hahn here
http://www.bstockum.com/
Does Texas have a smog check? I don't think the turbo kits are going to pass visual even if they pass the sniffer, at least they wouldn't in CA.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

[/quote] Does Texas have a smog check? I don't think the turbo kits are going to pass visual even if they pass the sniffer, at least they wouldn't in CA.
[/quote]

Yep, we have smog checks. I live in Houston so the checks are more thorough than they are out in the boondocks. I haven't seen them be too picky on the visual, just the print-out. My wife did have her car fail because of window tinting too dark by a newly trained inspector, however. (She was assured it was with-in legal limits when it was installed.) She went right down the street to the next place and had no problem.

Texas still has a little of the Wild West mind-set and people here tend to resist authority. The inspectors as well as the car owners can be good ol' boys but they are getting to be fewer in the city.

The point is, if your exhaust is good enough you're gold. The test is mostly low RPM, no boost. A well tuned, super charged or turboed car should pass.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

In CA they only look under the hood. If anything obviously isn't stock you better have an EO # and documentation to get it through. They haven't given me a hard time on stuff like CAI's, but I read about a turbo car sold her that could not get passed at all. The owner's only recourse was to return it to stock or get rid of it out of state where they have no smog. At least the whipple has the right documentation. I would ask aroung before I invested in something that won't fly.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Well I'm still looking to talk with someone who recently installed the whipple supercharger on their cruiser. I just recieved the installation manual from Whipple today to read over the install process, but would like to get some current reviews of how people like there superchargers..
Kevin