Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
N/A Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2005, 02:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default N/A Exhaust

Had my bodies mechanic look at my car for an exhaust upgrade. He is taking for ever and I want an opinion.

1.If I replace the cat with a high-flow one, will that void my Chrysler warranty.
2.He wanted to cut into the pipe and wield it to form a dual out like a "Y" pipe would.
3. I had picked out resonated tips, but they were discontinued. The next set I found weren't resonated, and he said he could add a some glass pack behind it to make it quieter.

I have another mechanic that would do the PT because mine is taking forever to give me pricing or anything.
So I wanted to know if I was to do things, how would I get the best sound/performance from your suggestions.
1. Should I replace the cat while up there with a high flow one?
2. Should I have the pipes replace all the way to the back or leave the factory stainless?
3. Should I have the pipe wielded to form a "y" or replaced with a "Y"?
4. Should I stick to resonated tips or go with the glass packs behind the tips?

I for one like the glass pack idea, because we all know that when you look at a 2-1/2" resonated tip it is actually like 1-1/2" on the inside of the tip. Versus the non-resonated tips are the full 2-1/2" you will see in the rear.

Thanks
Old 28 Jul 2005, 03:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

These are 2 1/2. The resonators don't really take up that much more room.. If anything they take it no more then 2 1/4. No muffler but a 30" resonator added after the cat.

Old 28 Jul 2005, 04:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Bigdaddog,
Do you still have your spare, look like you may?
Your underside is different from the N/a isn't it.

Thanks
Old 28 Jul 2005, 04:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, the spare is still there, just can't see it. I did a dry run once the exhause was installed and the spare came out with a little pull, wasn't bad. As far as the underneath being the same N/A vs. PT, [:I]
Old 28 Jul 2005, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

My mechanic hook up, wanted to remove my spare because it got in the way, he said? I didn't like the thought of that at the time either.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What's all this gonna run you? Why not just buy a set like BTG, and be done?
Also, you seem to think facory exhaust is stainless - it isn't - the cat is, and maybe the exhaust tip - the rest is aluminized steel.
You've been to shows/events - listen to some other guy's exhausts. I did, and loved the BTG deep sound - I got 'em and it's just what I wanted.
You keep your spare, it has the "Y", and is all stainless.
(about $500 http://store.yahoo.com/wyckoff-chrys...ruisnewdu.html)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jul 2005, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I have an 03 N/A AND 04 turbo lite. Bought a nagnaflow
cat back exhaust. Had it on the n/a than when I bought the 04
I put it on there.There was no differance on the underside.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 29 Jul 2005, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the info jimbo, didn't know if there was a difference or not. I like the BTG aslo qsd, I like the design especially. But there is a cost factor there for someone on a budget. The BTG with shipping would probably be around $600 then if you didn't install it yourself additional installation charges would be added to that. I have a feeling, could be wrong because KK seems to do alot of his own work, that KK is looking at someone to install this for him. So, having a local shop doing something similar would most likely be half price, mind you though, not SS other then tips.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well considering he wanted to keep my original pipe, that he said was stainless, I thought I would trust his opinion. Maybe I might not after talking to the rest of you guys. Although under 200 would be my cost to do this and probably below 150 the way he thought he would be able to run the pipe.

This is way I like what he had proposed to me about my exhaust, price and performance base.

I feel I need to check with the other mechanic I have in mind to compare thoughts.

Thanks

Unfortunately for me exhaust is one things that if I had a lift and a torch I may do myself yes, but the rent charge for most of this is too much to pay compared to what I can get something from a shop for.

As with what Bdd, said, I do, do most of my mods myself, minus the rear spoiler and the painting and final mounting of the hood, I have done pretty much everything else. I like learn from what I'm taking apart, its an experimentation from so knowledge of understanding the way it all fits back together.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

KK2, the prices you mention are pretty good just make sure of exactly what is being done even if it means having them draw it out. My tips alone were $60 each!, with total cost being around $350.