PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2005, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default transmission trouble

2001 limited auto, 56k miles

at low speed, for instance when coming to a stop sign/stoplight, and when accelerating hard from low speed, my pt will suddenly feel as if someone has stomped hard on the brakes for just a fraction of a second, resulting in a strong lurch. it varies in intensity, but does happen more frequently now than it used to. my guess is that the transmission is downshifting into first gear when this happens. when accelerating away from stop signs/lights and crusing at highway speed, there is no abnormality. the dealer (in ontario, california) said that they would need to open up the trans to look at it and determine the exact problem; if it needed overhauling, $2500, if i need a totally new trans, $3300. considering the car's only worth maybe $8500, i'm hoping the true solution will be a lot cheaper. any idea as to what the cause may be and how it can be repaired? i'm also wondering how long i have before the trans stops functioning completely and i'm left with the world's largest pt cruiser-shaped paperweight. help?
Old 30 Jul 2005, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One of Chryslers main weak points is the transmission. I have no incouraging words except that you might try a complete engine flush (not just a fluid change) using the brand new ATF+5 trans fluid. Just maybe that will clear things up. My wife had a GEO Strom awhile back and a trans flush did help that tranny out. Ran a lot smoother after the flush. You can figure about $150 for the flush, but it's about the only thing to do except what you've been told.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 09:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

to say the least....it has been a weak point for Chrysler since 1989 and the intro. of the Ultraglide..that has been 16 years and they still make a very poor automatic tranny....
Old 30 Jul 2005, 09:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Their auto tranny is a piece of crap. My wife's '01 tranny went out at 81k. It was properly serviced. Got an extended 90k warranty on her '04. Let it go out now and Chrysler will eat the cost to fix it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Jul 2005, 11:17 pm
Young Cruiser

You think that's bad. My Cruiser's tranny went out at 800 miles. Yes I said 800(eight-hundred). Mine was doing the EXACT same thing as yours Mike. It would jerk so bad, kind of felt like I was learning to drive a stick. On the highway, no problems. I took it to the dealer and told him what was going on. He said all they had to do was reset the computer. He said "if the check engine light doesn't come on, there's noting wrong with it". I told him I thought it might be the tranny & he laughed at me & said "don't you think it's a little premature to be talking about transmission problems at 800 miles". I said "NO!".

When I got it back, it was cool for a couple of days. Then it started to act up again. This time, in addition to the jerking, it was making a loud grinding noise. By the time I got home from work, it could barely make it in the driveway. I called my "service consultant" & told him to get me a tow truck cause my trannys about to fall out! He said "if the check engine light doesn't come on, there's noting wrong with it". By this time, I was ready to shove my "check engine" light up his a$$. When the tow got here, My PT wouldn't even go in reverse. I felt like Austin Powers jerking back & forth in his golf cart!

O.k. So what was it you ask. The "service manager" had some tranny guy come out & said the tranny was having difficulty shifting into & out of 1st(duh!). And that second gear was totally trashed. The manager said he had never seen so many metal shavings from a transmission in his life. "Unfortunately, we are in the business of selling a mechanical product so mechanical problems do happen to new vehicles from time to time" the manager said. I said, "but the "check engine" light didn't come on!" They ordered a brand new one from Chrysler & I haven't had any problems with it since. Knock on wood. It was quite a shock.

I hope it's not as serious as my problem was. I would definitely check the pan to see if there are any metal shavings. And keep your ears open for any abnormal sounds. And be careful, one second I was driving down the highway, next second I could not drive it. No warning other than what it was already doing. Oh, and keep an eye on that "check engine" light.

Mikey
Old 31 Jul 2005, 01:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Sorry to say dude, your tranny's on it's last legs. My 2001 did the same thing and had to get the tranny rebuild. If you have to buy a new tranny, then tell the dealership to screw themselves and get an upgraded Power Demon tranny from Tommy Thift(TThift) at Haynes Speed Shop. It'll be cheaper than the rebuild, plus it's guaranteed upto 450hp and 450wtq.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 31 Jul 2005, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what's a fair price for a rebuild? i'm sure i can get it for less than 2500. dealers never give the best prices anyway.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 09:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mikehrz

what's a fair price for a rebuild? i'm sure i can get it for less than 2500. dealers never give the best prices anyway.
Just get the Power Demon tranny. It's less than $2500 and guaranteed to 450hp and 450wtq. You won't have to worry about the rebuilt on going out after a couple years again either.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 31 Jul 2005, 09:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Real sad that you have to go to Tommy to get a tranny that will last.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 04:17 am
Young Cruiser

GREAT!! My trans is doing the same thing! I live overseas with no close dealer or anything else. And not to mention the dollar isn't doing to well over here, so a $2500 is more like $3200. And thats on a good day!! I'm so in love with Crysler right now!!!
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.