Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Short Throw Hurst Shifter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2005, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Short Throw Hurst Shifter

Hey, Has anyone installed the Hurst short throw shifter? I was thinking about getting one but first wanted to see if anyone had feedback about it.

Thanks,

'05 Inferno Red GT 5-Sp[8)]
Old 02 Aug 2005, 10:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It's pretty....that's about all I'll say about it. Not enough difference to justify the price. Mine works fine but I've had a lot ot problems with the screws that hold the shift rod to the shifter coming loose. I've had to finally use red loctite to keep them from coming loose. All in all I'd have to say it wasn't worth the 150 plus dollars.... but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....[:I]
Old 02 Aug 2005, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmmmm, Well, I guess I was smart to ask before i spend. Now I'm wondering if the rear sway bar would be a better value than the shifter.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 02 Aug 2005, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I love mine... it makes for a more fun-to-drive experience.

Especially with Booger Bushings to tighten things up further.

The factory 5-speed on the NA cruisers is your basic Econobox Rubberband linkage...

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 05 Aug 2005, 03:10 am
Young Cruiser

I, too, installed the Mopar (Hurst) shifter, and Booger bushings at the same time. I can't say there is that great of a difference, but indeed it 'feels' tighter (probably due to Booger more than Hurst), and the shifts are somewhat shorter.

I like the bigger ball, and the fact that the shift ball does not come off in my hand during agressive shifting like the stocker did . . .
Dream Cruiser II #624
Staged . . Sprung . . Swayed . . Shifted . . Shaved . . . Shiny
Old 05 Aug 2005, 07:51 am
Cool Cruiser

When you start power-shifting at 6000 RPM and throw shifts so hard that the stock shift-ball comes off in your hand...you'll begin to realize the worth of the Hurst shifter.

Besides the Hurst shifter has "shift-stop" bolts to keep from overshifting your tranny linkage and cables stopping further possible damage.

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 05 Aug 2005, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hyracer, How did you know that happened? I thought I broke it the first time i pulled the ball off in my hand. LOL That is too funny!

I just was hoping the short throw shifter would give a better feel to shifting. The factory shifter does not feel strong, more like i can break it with ease if i'm not careful.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05 Aug 2005, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unusual thread, someone actually responds to a question regarding a product by saying that it's probably not worth the money. Generally, everything installed is 'The Best Band For the Buck'.

Try the Boogers before you spend $ on the Hurst, I'll bet you like it. That's what I've got.

Old 05 Aug 2005, 03:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The booger bushings are definitely well worth the $24 you pay for them. The shifting is more positive and firm. I would recommend them for sure, can't say anything about the Hurst.
Old 06 Aug 2005, 08:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jtdev

Hyracer, How did you know that happened? I thought I broke it the first time i pulled the ball off in my hand. LOL That is too funny!

I just was hoping the short throw shifter would give a better feel to shifting. The factory shifter does not feel strong, more like i can break it with ease if i'm not careful.

Thanks for the info.
Jtdev,

I had the ball come off the stock shifter a couple of times when shifting hard and fast. YOu can install just Buger Bushings but you still have no shift-stops to keep you from over-shifting unless you get the Hurst shifter. I use both, the Hurst and the Bugers.

In normal shifting a person would never need the shift stops, but when you race (whether at a track or from a stoplight) the adrenilon starts flowing and you can put a lot of force into a shift. I only weigh a paltry 160 lbs...just imagine how much force is put on your tranny linkages, shifting cables ,etc when you get a football-player sized guy banging gears that weighs 250+ lbs.[8)]

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.